• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Triple v5 R33 Engine - 4th LED, 30w limit, Screen Programable, Dual Mode Groups

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Neale very nice, great looking light! Look at all those cuts in the head inside the fins, amazing. Any comments on the red flood Neale?

Agreed the 219 tint is hard to beat, but the redomed XPL's really piqued my interest and that's what I pulled the trigger on. 4000K is about perfect for me. Very excited to receive this light, stoked actually. :)

IsaacL

Enlightened
Well I'll be damned! My apologies Grizzman.

Gentlemen, thank you for bringing this to my attention. I want to make a few things clear:

I was not aware of this charge, nor do I endorse or support it.
I am speaking with LUX RC now, to see what can be done.
If nothing changes I will be restructuring my website (OR.com) accordingly.

I know for a fact "a programming subscription" wasn't required a few weeks ago. I was one of a handful of people with preproduction prototype LE's (along with Oveready). But even before I had mine, I was still able to play with the programmer. Serge never mentioned this change to me either and I unequivocally do not support it.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Still no answer regarding the ease of use (or not) with a Zero Res twisty. Are you using the Wasp with a twisty, because it sure looks like you are using a Zero Res in your photo. To my mind, it is misleading potential Wasp customers showing a twisty switch with a multi mode engine without disclosing the challenge of switching levels. That is, if you are actually going to use this tool.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Neale's probably busy today, so I'll offer my perspective.

I do all my runtime testing with a ZRM, a process which can require multiple mode changes per minute. The switching interface works the same as previous versions and responds to twisty. With a momentary + twisty (stock z41) and a bit of practice you can even press through modes then twist to lock in. At least one light shipped yesterday with this configuration.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the response. nfetterly has some beautiful flashlights.

In the field, there have been occurrences (with me) where the natural bouncing of brisk walking and running have caused mode-jumps when using a Zero Res. And, you referred to practice as being a way to use a twisty switch with a multiple mode. Another great thing about Version 5 Wasp is the ability to go into single mode when things might get serious.

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zero Rez for me. Although I have not done any programming yet.

I nearly burned myself a few years back with a vanisledsm 5.6A quad and fettie switch as it clicked on in a holster. I caught it just before the thermal shutdown, which if memory serves was quite high. It was in an orange cerakoted OR 6p, not that that has anything to do with it. After that I started locking out the tail cap, effectively making it a twisty as every time I went to use it I had to tighten tail cap.

zero Rez for me.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
In the field, there have been occurrences (with me) where the natural bouncing of brisk walking and running have caused mode-jumps when using a Zero Res.

I see what you mean. Not the switching itself, the lack of a 2nd battery spring making it more susceptible to bouncing. With only one spring, the other spring becomes more important, as does battery length. Single mode will fix that but you can also try a longer battery and/or single spring. Double springs (clicky) would also work.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I stand corrected. The high amperage of these Wasp engines demand a Zero Resistence Switch as well.

Are you sure about that? I don't see that info shown on the product pages, and EG states above that double springs (clicky) would also work.

Last edited:

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think this setup requires a zero rez cap. WARNING: Math below.

amps = watts / volts

On a one cell setup voltage is 4.2v with high set to 17w.
17/4.2 = 4.05 amps. Well within McClicky ratings.

On a two cell setup voltage is 8.4 with high set to 30w.
30/8.4 = 3.57 amps. Even lower than on a one cell setup.

So either way, a McClicky is sufficient for the Wasp. Now if I can only catch it when it's in stock.

Moddoo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Everyone!

I'm very happy to see the excitement about the new release.

I will get some more technical data together for you guys regarding switches and the power these new engines use tomorrow.

Please have a safe and happy Independence Day celebration if you are hanging in the USA tonight.

:twothumbs:candle::poof::rock::thanks:

Last edited by a moderator:

oneinthaair

Enlightened
I believe there will be some released tomorrow and next week, from what I read on the Facebook page.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
I'm hoping to get things sorted with Lux before continuing, so Sunday isn't looking likely tonight.

Lets put Tuesday as the likely sales window for the remaining round of this batch.

Last edited:

Appletz

Newly Enlightened
A couple questions if you don't mind:

1. Can you explain the difference between regular mode memory and hybrid mode memory and the advantage over one or the other? I have a Maratac light with a mode memory that remembers the mode you were on if you turn it off for 5 seconds-- I'm guessing regular mode memory is like this? How is the hybrid different?

2. If we miss this week's remaining round how bad will the wait be for the next batch? Are we looking at another 7-8 months?

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hybrid Memory (according to LUX-RC): Your flashlight remembers the last used mode when starting but mode cycling always starts with the first mode.

Appletz

Newly Enlightened
Mode cycling means lightly pressing the switch while the light is on (without clicking it) to get to the next mode right? So for example if I have a High/Medium/Low and I turn it off in Medium mode, then I turn it back on I have Medium mode, then if I cycle it once it will go back to High mode (essentially "skipping" Low)?

Am I understanding correctly?

IsaacL

Enlightened
1. Can you explain the difference between regular mode memory and hybrid mode memory and the advantage over one or the other? I have a Maratac light with a mode memory that remembers the mode you were on if you turn it off for 5 seconds-- I'm guessing regular mode memory is like this? How is the hybrid different?

Let's use a Wasp setup for H/M/L/D as our example. High is the first level, Medium is second, and so on.

Regular memory remembers the last level you used. So if you turn the light off at medium it will come back on at medium. The next level will be L, then D, then H, etc... Just like a clock, regular memory requires you to cycle through all the modes in order to get back to the beginning.

Hybrid memory also remembers the last level. So if you turn the light off at medium it will come back on at medium, just like regular memory. However, the next level will be high, not low. The same goes for any level in the cycle, the next will always be high (or whatever your first level is).

The advantage to hybrid is that you are never more than one mode away from your first setting. This is helpful when you don't want to cycle through all the levels.

With no memory, the light always comes back on at the first level, is our case this is high. You must either cycle through all the levels or turn the light off and on again to get back to the first level, high.

Mode cycling means lightly pressing the switch while the light is on (without clicking it) to get to the next mode right?

Mode/level cycling simple mean changing from one level to another. It is the same regardless of what memory option you have set. A quick soft-press will move the light through the various levels (e.g. H->M->L). The method you are describing (soft-press while light is on) is actually a reverse clicky. Oveready lights use a forward clicky. A series of soft-press from the "off" state is how you change levels. Once you find the level you desire, you push all the way in to "lock" the switch on.

So for example if I have a High/Medium/Low and I turn it off in Medium mode, then I turn it back on I have Medium mode, then if I cycle it once it will go back to High mode (essentially "skipping" Low)?

This is exactly how hybrid memory works. Sounds like you understand it better than you think. :)

Here's a video showing hybrid memory in action. (Ignore the Russian, just read the captions).

Last edited: