Trit slot question

s2jesse

Newly Enlightened
I've never held a trit embeded light before. From pictures its seems there a are a few ways to secure them. I've seen where holes are drilled from say the end and then a window slot milled to reveal the vial. Ive also seen what likes like a slot only. Are the slot only ones just epoxied in?

Jesse

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes
Most people use Norland 61. It is an optical grade glue that cures with UV or sunlight. It's the same stuff that they use to repair windshield cracks. Basically the same.
Gearbest and other places have a clear up glue. Others have used 2 part epoxy, but that tends to yellow a bit over time.

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never held a trit embeded light before. From pictures its seems there a are a few ways to secure them. I've seen where holes are drilled from say the end and then a window slot milled to reveal the vial. Ive also seen what likes like a slot only. Are the slot only ones just epoxied in?

Jesse

There are several ways to secure trits but the best way is to use Norland. It's optically clear so it allows for the most light transmission since tritium vials really don't produce a lot of light. You have to be in a pretty dark environment with night adjusted eyes to fully appreciate them. You can use other methods like a clear epoxy or even clear nail polish, but as mentioned, they tend to yellow over time. Good thing about something like nail polish, you can just use nail polish remover to recover the vials whereas norland is much more difficult to remove.

s2jesse

Newly Enlightened
Ahh ok makes total sense thanks guys appreciate it!

There are several ways to secure trits but the best way is to use Norland. It's optically clear so it allows for the most light transmission since tritium vials really don't produce a lot of light. You have to be in a pretty dark environment with night adjusted eyes to fully appreciate them. You can use other methods like a clear epoxy or even clear nail polish, but as mentioned, they tend to yellow over time. Good thing about something like nail polish, you can just use nail polish remover to recover the vials whereas norland is much more difficult to remove.

Naxos

Newly Enlightened
Anyone have experience removing trit vials secured with Norland? Knowing these will need to be replaced down the road I'm rethinking using this stuff if it's too difficult to remove.

stevos758

Newly Enlightened
Trit install scares me each time. So paranoid about getting the stuff level each time LOL. Good Luck!