try linux

raggie33

*the raggedier*
downloading 10 now. ive tryied so many distros will be n ice to have my nic drivers

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Raggie, remember that you may have to boot from CD2 (bug!), then swap to CD1 when asked. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif Also, this is the Community Edition, not the Official (final). There are already over 450 MB of updates.

Oh, Novell is coming out with SuSE 9.1 personal and Professional around May 6, 2004. Professional is $90, and you get 5 CDs and 2 DVDROMs. One DVD contains the 32 bit version, and the other has the 64 bit version for AMD64 and Athlon 64, and these use the 2.6.x kernel. I am drooling already. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
lol i found that out the hardway.it went very bad even killed windows partion. some how did a weird format even after formating hardrive back to ntfs and reinstalling windows it wouldnt boot finaly had to get another hardrive install os and download a boot disk for cdd rom and then do a low level format was a rough day lol

charliek

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
raggie33 said:
lol i found that out the hardway.it went very bad even killed windows partion. some how did a weird format even after formating hardrive back to ntfs and reinstalling windows it wouldnt boot finaly had to get another hardrive install os and download a boot disk for cdd rom and then do a low level format was a rough day lol

[/ QUOTE ]

Windopws won't boot because the Master Boot record was over-written.
Get a Windows 98 or DOS boot diskette (yes, even if you are running XP or 2K)
Boot from the floppy and type fdisk /mbr
This will re-write the master boot record and allow Winderz to load again.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
thats weird i never over writen my mbr before and used a lot less user freindly distros.maybe i was tired

charliek

Enlightened
Lilo or Grub (bootloaders) give you the option of writing to the master boot record when you install- if you have another method of starting an operating system from another partition- like Bootmagic you may choose to write to the "Superblock" of that partition instead. You were installing Mandrake as the only OS on the drive? Then you have little choice but write to the master boot record.

Saaby

Flashaholic
I'm not trying to pull us off topic here, but talking about Darwin again, I am amazed (When running on the POWER platform, as opposed to x86) at how easy it is to switch between OSSes. You could have 4 OSSES (OS X Panther, OS X Panther set to boot into shell, OS 9.2 and maybe Yellow Dog linux?) on 1 drive and switch between the 4 blindfolded.