Trying to decide between a Surefire M6 Guardian or Surefire 10X Dominator

batman

Enlightened
Re: Trying to decide between a SF M6 or 10X

I'd like to see a test between the M6 and the 10x similar to the flashlight javeline done by tigerlight..ie., taking turns throwing the flashlights up into the air farther and farther to see which will stand up to the most abuse before failure.

You could also do the test by running it over with a steam roller, semi truck, forklift truck, etc.

zx7dave

Enlightened

The M6 us bulky since the diameter is larger than most SF's. You might consider a M3T/M4 new style with attack bezel for when you run/hike. Will have enough light to see everything, and ward off attacks, and can be used as a weapon easier than the M6 because of the small dia allowing you to get a good grip, plus it is lighter to carry. But the M6 does rock. Not sure about the 10X as it is not very appealing for me based solely on looks. If you do go with the M6 you can run a MN15 bulb (intended for the M3T) and that still puts out a lot of light and has a 2.5hr run time. The 500 Lumens is overkill for most suituations.

Size15's

Flashaholic

batman said:
I'd like to see a test between the M6 and the 10x similar to the flashlight javeline done by tigerlight..ie., taking turns throwing the flashlights up into the air farther and farther to see which will stand up to the most abuse before failure.

You could also do the test by running it over with a steam roller, semi truck, forklift truck, etc.

IMHO, such a 'test' would be best performed having a range of different flashlights (Tigerlight, MagCharger, UltraStinger etc etc) 'tested' at the same time. I would also prefer to have five or ten (at least) of each product to start to get an idea of consistancy of performance.

When developing an abusive 'test' of performance under abusive conditions it is generally given that it will be designed to evaluate performance in the reasonably foreseeable worst case situation the product is expect to perform in.

wquiles

Flashaholic

I would pick the SF M6. I own two of them and with a rechargeable battery pack, they are awesome ;)

Plus, with the SF M6, you can also run the LED Turbo Modules - very long run times and several options available, with no permanent changes to the SF M6 :D

Will

Flashlight Enthusiast

AdamLuczak said:
65535: give more info about your light :)

Adam

its just a Solarc HID from WA 10 watts powered by 6 17500 cells.

Its just a design right now until I can afford to taek time into making it reality.

kooter

Enlightened

Can ayone tell me about the LED Turbo Modules? And the rechargeable battery packs. Any pics of mods that have been done. Not got mine yet, but think i need to go rechargeable. 6 cr123s at a time could work out expensive.

tenfour

Newly Enlightened

I'll vouch for the WiseLED tactical, if you are willing to stray from surefire. You get runtime + brightness in the same package.

AdamLuczak

Newly Enlightened

65535: let me know when you finish :D

Adam

Re: Trying to decide between a Surefire M6 Guardian and Surefire 10X Dominator

Thanks to all you CPF members who responded to my original question. There is a dizzying amount of information, but very good information, on what I need. I believe in Surefires again, and also that if it's not a Surefire M3 Combatlight, then it's gotta be a Surefire M6 Guardian for my purposes - which is to light up an entire section of mountain for very brief durations.

Rock on!:rock:

Last edited:

InfidelCastro

Banned

The Sure-Fire M6 is an awesome light. But if I bought one, I would have to get one or maybe two rechargeable battery packs for it. Then I would need a charger. Buy the time I was done, I would have waaaay too much invested in it. If I need THAT much light, I figure I'll drag along a mini-HID or a 35 Watt Illuminator or my $10 1 MCP Spotlight or something like that instead.

But, if I had the extra disposable income, it would be nice to have an M6.

According to some comments I read in another thread awhile back, I remember a person commenting who owned both that they thought the 10X slightly out-threw the M6 of theirs.

Size15's

Flashaholic

InfidelCastro said:
According to some comments I read in another thread awhile back, I remember a person commenting who owned both that they thought the 10X slightly out-threw the M6 of theirs.
That is not my experience of the ones I have, nor of the ones I've seen. The 10X's in my experience have produced wider beams of light compared to the M6's MN21 lamp - the throw (or effective range) being similar.
P257.JPG

BTW, the M6 fits in SureFire's 10X pouch. I'll post photos soon.

Al

Size15's said:
That is not my experience of the ones I have, nor of the ones I've seen. The 10X's in my experience have produced wider beams of light compared to the M6's MN21 lamp - the throw (or effective range) being similar.
P257.JPG

BTW, the M6 fits in SureFire's 10X pouch. I'll post photos soon.

Al

bowdown.gif
bowdown.gif
bowdown.gif
bowdown.gif

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast

InfidelCastro said:
The Sure-Fire M6 is an awesome light. But if I bought one, I would have to get one or maybe two rechargeable battery packs for it. Then I would need a charger. Buy the time I was done, I would have waaaay too much invested in it. If I need THAT much light, I figure I'll drag along a mini-HID or a 35 Watt Illuminator or my $10 1 MCP Spotlight or something like that instead.

But, if I had the extra disposable income, it would be nice to have an M6.

It's really nice to see someone recognize the real purpose lights were intended for. Assuming you really NEEDED the light for its real purpose, you would not mind running it stock on primaries. I'm pretty sure the designer and inventor of the only proven rechargeable pack out there even recommends not using his pack for professional use.

Having said that, there is nothing wrong though to have one for fun even if you don't really need it. I hope you can afford one someday!!

kooter

Enlightened

I got my M6 earlier this week. Thanks qarawol. I love it. Its absolutely awesome.

DSC00431.jpg

HistoryChannel

Enlightened

First off, just a thought on batteries for hiking. I am an avid hiker. I go on 1-3 day hikes all the time. First thing that comes to mind is that you DO NOT want to take any RECHARGEABLE batteries if you can help it. If for some reason you got stuck out deep in the mountains for say... 10 hours. You'd have to carry several battery sticks for the 10X. Interchangeable batteries would be best. Say AA batteries for your PT Surge could be put into a PT GPS unit using AA batteries in a pinch, etc.

Unless of course you take a solar charging system for your rechargeable batteries. But more stuff to go wrong I think.

Better to get the BlackHawk M6 holster and use it sparingly (M6/10X is WAY too bright for night hikes) on your hike. Rather, use a longer lasting LED light such as the E2L with diffuser, Inova X5t, etc.

I have the M6 w/MN20 on my hip, E2L clipped in my front pocket, L5 in holster on my CamelBak strap and use the A2 on LED (low) while night hiking. This way, if I need throw it's a matter of pressing harder on my A2. In case the mainlamp fails, I have the ultra reliable L5 or E2L available in seconds. For maximum light I have the M6 on my hip.

To get to the M6 vs 10X:

I have both the M6 and 10X.

Anyway, if you own a number of SF lights you will be dissapointed with the 10X. First off, the beam absolutely bugs the holly living (*@^&# out of me.

Nowhere near the usual SF smooth round beam. Also, the twisting head bothers me also (on te 10X). Much more bulky than the M6 and still uses Ni-Cad batteries. Boooooo.

The M6 feels solid and a more compact light.

For pure light output, the 10X seems to put out more overall light. However, you have to play with the bulb placement and head roatation to get a nice tight beam.

The M6 with MN20 250lm bulb is superb with a nice Tight ROUND beam that is far reaching.

The only advantages I would give the 10X is the rechargeable battery and more overall light output.

THe M6 advantages are that it's compact, easy to carry. Prefocused round tight beam. Ablility to use the FM series beam filters that double as lens protectors.

If you can't afford the M6's vigourous appetite for SF123's, then the 10X is better I suppose.

The ideal solution would be some sort of rechargeable battery system for the M6.

Last edited:

The Voice of Reason

Newly Enlightened

LED61 said:
...a group of us led by JS are working on establishing whether we can run the MN60 and MN61 lamps in the M6 standard MB20 battery holder with the new protected AW R123's. The votage of these three cells in series will equate more or less that of four primary cells in series. Bottom line, we may have us a drop in rechargeable solution for the M6. It will require some monitoring of the cells, and Surefire will not warranty the light if the bulb explodes, but there it is.

Sorry to be a little OT.

But I'm really looking forward to hearing more about progress on this.

Is there a dedicated thread for that topic?

HistoryChannel said:
I have the M6 w/MN20 on my hip, E2L clipped in my front pocket, L5 in holster on my CamelBak strap and use the A2 on LED (low) while night hiking. This way, if I need throw it's a matter of pressing harder on my A2. In case the mainlamp fails, I have the ultra reliable L5 or E2L available in seconds. For maximum light I have the M6 on my hip.

HC, your advice above is right on for me. I used to have a Surefire A2 Aviator before I gave it to my wife, and that thing was perfect for short hikes. It's only problem was that the main beam runs out of battery after about an hour of hiking. But I see you have solved that problem by taking along spare batteries, Surefire L5 Lumamax, and Surefire E2L Outdoorsman as "backup". Along with a Sureifre M6 Guardian in case you start feeling like the Blair Witch is going to jump out. (or a Mountain Lion).

I recently got the Inova 24/7 and the Surefire M3 Combatlight. They Inova's high beam is super good for hiking while the low beam is good for looking at your watch. The Surefire M3 Combatlight is good for the "maximum light" as you described.

I'm still thinking about a Surefire M6 Guardian. HC - do you find your hands able to tightly grip the Surefire M6 Guardian's body? I'm only 5'7" and have small hands for a guy. Thanks!

Last edited:

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast

One for the modders out there.....

Make a replacement battery pack for the 10X which uses Li-Ion technology and an integrated regulator circuit. You wouldn't be able to keep up with demand, at least until SureFire FINALLY realise that it is a good idea.