TwinTask 2L vs. Inova X5

T

tpyo

Greetings, just received my Streamlight TL-2. It's magical compared to my Maglite 2AA.

I need a good automobile light (to be stored in the glovebox) under $45. Two lights that come in mind are the Streamlight TT-2L and the Inova X5. I've heard many positive things concerning both. The price difference between them is negligible. Which would you recommend? And please don't say "both", it's too tempting after getting my magical TL-2. The main difference is the Streamlight can switch to Xenon mode if needed and the X5 cannot. Is the LED-only X5 adequate as a car light or is the TT-2L with its optional incandescent power a better choice? Thanks

paulr

Flashaholic
The X5 will be good for reading maps in the car, but not so great for making repairs or signalling, and useless for reading distant house numbers or road signs. So I'd go for the one with the incandescent. Better yet, get something like a PT Surge (very bright 8AA light about the size of a household 2D light), 20 bucks or so at TTS. Or even a Vector spotlight, 20 bucks at Costco (put in trunk, won't fit in glovebox). You might be able to find a couple Dorcy Spyders there too (pack of two for $28) which are 2x123 xenon lights about 2x as bright as the TT2L (shorter runtime of course), maybe prudent in cold weather because of the lithium batteries.

Generally though I'd say, tiny lithium flashlights are very handy gadgets like swiss army knives--great for carrying in your pockets, but in a car, you have enough space to have full sized screwdrivers and the SAK is needlessly dainty. It's similar with flashlights.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
In the price range you're lookin in, I'd go for the Streamlight TT 3c! It has three light levels and long runtimes. It's a bit long, but if you're going to keep in the car, size is not that important.

jhereg

Enlightened
I would go for the TT2L over the TT2C for a car light. The shelf life, power when they are hot or cold, and the leakage problems with C cells all contribute to my decision.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll second the SL Twin-Task series. An X5 has only long run time. The TT 2L, 1L, or 3C has more versatility, and still has the long run time.

You already have a very bright short run incandescent (a great one), so add to the mix.

Geode

Enlightened
typo,

I will third the twin task family. I currently own the TT2L, which would make an excellent glove box flashlight. The TT3C should be coming next week, and gives the advantage of having 6 LEDs and an incandescent that appears to have more throw, plus longer run time in both modes than the TT2L.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
No doubt go for the TT-2Lithium.

I think the lithium batteries would be a better pick for a flashlight that may not be used much. Also it uses the same batteries as your SL TL-2L.

Frankly I'm rather disappointed with my two TT-3C. The difference between 3 and 6 leds is difficult for me to distinguish, and I like the incandescent beam on my 2L better. I dunno maybe I just got two really good 2L's and two really crappy 3C's.

GregR

Catapult

Enlightened
Double A, I also experience that phenomenon with other LED lights with 3, 6 mode. I don't think it's the LED's fault. Since the beam of 3 LEDs already covers the entire spot very well, turning on 3 more LEDs simply overlaps the area that was already covered by the first 3, which I believe fools the eyes to see that there isn't a significant change in brightness, thus the beam appears to be only slightly brighter. If you look more closely, you can really notice a big difference in brightness.

beakman

Newly Enlightened
I have a SL TT-2L in each car glovebox, both for the versatility of the LED/xenon combo, and the long term storability of the lithium batteries. A great car light.

the beakman

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not close, I have both, keep the Inova for when I HAVE to have a light that will go forever, but don't need a bright spot or throw.

BUT, the TTL-2L is the best car light I can think of. Lithiums, dual function, awesome price for the light available. Close to the same output from its 3 LED's as the Inova's 5, but as stated in another thread, I think that is mostly just perception.

Go for the TT-2L and you can't, and won't, be disappointed!!

Bill

rlhess

Enlightened
I've had Panasonic Industrial Cs leak in both Streamlight 3C LEDs this summer in the heat of So Cal--these are well-in-date.

All my friends are getting lithium lights for their cars.

I've given some the Brinkmann LX lithium light, but this holiday I gave a friend two TT 2Ls (one for him, one for his wife) and he is blown away.

For now the TT 2L is my first choice car light.

I have a TL-3 and a TL-3 LED in my car, but I'm over the top. For the price range, I can't think of anything better than the TT 2L.

Oh, and I haven't measured them, but my friend said the indcandescent was BRIGHT.

I had told him about the lights several months ago, but he procrastinated getting them 'cause he didn't believe me how good they could be. I ended up giving them to him. He was amazed.

I haven't seen one, honestly.

Cheers,

Richard

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think I have EVER seen such a majority vote on this forum, period:

GET A TWIN-TASK STREAMLIGHT of whatever flavor rocks your boat. It's the most bang for your buck.

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
I feel like I need to order a TT 2L. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Maybe after the holidays. What other light(under $50.00) has had so many people like it and recommend it? It might be able to replace my 5 year old Scorpion.

Blades

paulr

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Blades said:
Maybe after the holidays. What other light(under $50.00) has had so many people like it and recommend it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Arc AAA /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's true. I had one, but traded it off. It just didn't "work" for me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif So I tend to forget about it.

Blades

Kill-O-Zap

Enlightened
tpyo,

For the car, definitely TT2L over X5.

Since you won't be carrying it, you might also consider the Xenergy 3-in-1 instead of the TT2L. It's a little larger, which is not ideal for EDC but fine for the glovebox. It has a 6 LED mode, and the xenon is substantially brighter than the TT2L Xenon. It throws hugely better, as well, due to tighter focus.