Two Rear LED Bike Lights - A joint CPF Review

greenLED

Flashaholic
Darned delays...

Thanks, Paul. Hmmm... slow flashing rate. I hope it's not like what the Eos has, 'cuz that's t o o s l o w.... Well, not overly slow, but 1.5Hz is too slow for a bike blinker, IMO.

Swerve's own website!

Last edited:

Cemoi

Enlightened
Hi,
I've just received my Smart RL-318R (...)
Had to wait 2 months before it arrived from bikeparts4me.de but this was not their fault but the mailman's.
How much did they charge you for shipping to the Netherlands? It looks like you have to create an account to know your shipping charges :thumbsdow
Strange enough, the website of smart does not mention this new light.
Nothing new three months later: neither the 317, nor the 318 are on the Smart website.
bikeparts4me.de still have it in stock, but I have found nowhere else where you can buy it!

mosport

Enlightened
I was messing around with ways to clip my light onto my bag without it falling off, kinda sorta trying to justify buying this new one. So I went digging through my modding stuff and found that an ARC LS battery pack O-ring (size 1mm x 18mm) works perfectly, took some pics only to find out Darell figured out this trick waayyy before I did :eek:

Anyways here's how it looks on my bag:

img2411zn8.jpg
img2414bb4.jpg

Really the only thing I'd fix at this point is that dang clip. These things have to have more secure clips! If I clip it onto the strap on the back of my seat bag, it just goes flying when I cross railroad tracks or similar. One ride, I had to go back for it three times. The good news is that nothing broke, and it was easy to find. ;)

I've started to slip an Oring over the front lens and around to capture the scooped part of the clip after it passes through the strap it is clipped to. It works OK, but is an annoying kluge. I can' think of several ways to make this clip better without adding much expense.

CGD08

Newly Enlightened
Nice review guys. Thanks for forwarding me via-PM GreenLED!:twothumbs
Great pictures. You may want to watermark though, you never know who'll snatch it.
I'm interested in the swerve. But for now it's stealth. I paid $23 for that thing. For tail light, that's getting up there.

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Wow, that PT Swerve does look like a cool light. :cool:

I'm still really disappointed with the selection of high-quality commuter-friendly (ie no external battery packs) front bike lights. Right now, I have the SuperFlash's front light brother, the Planet Bike Blaze 1watt - it's overly bulky, the difference between low and high is almost nothing, and iand feels slightly cheap... not to mention, it occasionally will shut off while I'm riding. :green: But the SuperFlash pulse on it is too good to resist!

Anyone want to mod a Stealth SuperFlash with a white LED? :wave: (seriously!!! PM me if you're willing!)

:thumbsup: john

Last edited:

kramer

Newly Enlightened
I would also highly recommend the planet bike super flash. We use it on all our bikes and are very happy with it for all the reasons mentioned by the OP.
One point I would make is that we ride on rough terrain sometimes and after a while the housing has come apart. No damage has occurred to the units as a result though. I have used clear packing tape to wrap around the light to give it extra security. no problems after that.

jch79

Five and a half years later...

SuperFlash.jpg

My SuperFlash broke! :eek:oo:

This is still the same light from the review on page one. It still works flawlessly, and it's gotten the crap kicked out of it on daily riding here in Chicago. I've only changed the batteries a handful of times, which is just insane, and have only had to replace the clip once.

And instead of buying a new one, I'm just ordering a new back for $5 w/ free shipping. It yet lives! :rock:

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any idea what broke it? I'm assuming that it was a winter pothole that also knocked a filling out.. :)

I've got one that gets a fair bit of use. My only complaint is the tendency of big bumps to randomly turn it on and off (another testimony to Illinois roads). I can't decide if I should just replace it or wire in a separate switch and disconnect the current switch. Is there something better on the market?

oh... congrats on keeping a thread alive for so long!

jch79

Any idea what broke it? I'm assuming that it was a winter pothole that also knocked a filling out.. :)

Hi Steve,
I think it's gotten so beat up over the years that it just kinda gave up. :laughing: It was chipped and scratched and dented, so it was just a matter of time. However, you're 100% right - it was one of these nasty new potholes that was the final nail in the coffin (until the new back arrives!).

I've got one that gets a fair bit of use. My only complaint is the tendency of big bumps to randomly turn it on and off (another testimony to Illinois roads). I can't decide if I should just replace it or wire in a separate switch and disconnect the current switch. Is there something better on the market?

I haven't had the problem of it turning on and off.... though I have a really old one, so maybe they were more sturdy back then?

If I wasn't able to fix the SuperFlash, I'd probably get a Light & Motion rear light - they're made in the USA and look to be awesome build quality. Their strobe patterns might not be ideal for urban riding, but only one way to find out! :D

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
how many taillight models does L&M have? I see a Vis 180 that sells for around $90. It has a lithium battery and charges with USB. That's a little fancier than I was thinking of.

Actually, I was looking at info on a Cateye that runs off of a single AA cell.
http://www.cateye.com/en/products/detail/TL-LD630-R/

I would need to know if it can mount to a seatstay, though.
I've had good results with a Cateye LD-1100 on my commuter. Two AA cells, lots of LEDs... even some facing to the sides. Not bad. Of course, it's not listed on Cateye's site anymore. :p
The SuperFlash that I'm considering replacing is on my go-fast bike, so the LD1100 wasn't under consideration anyway, but I do like the build quality.

jch79

how many taillight models does L&M have? I see a Vis 180 that sells for around $90. It has a lithium battery and charges with USB. That's a little fancier than I was thinking of.

Actually, I was looking at info on a Cateye that runs off of a single AA cell.
http://www.cateye.com/en/products/detail/TL-LD630-R/

I would need to know if it can mount to a seatstay, though.
I've had good results with a Cateye LD-1100 on my commuter. Two AA cells, lots of LEDs... even some facing to the sides. Not bad. Of course, it's not listed on Cateye's site anymore. :p
The SuperFlash that I'm considering replacing is on my go-fast bike, so the LD1100 wasn't under consideration anyway, but I do like the build quality.

Light & Motion have 2 rear bike lights if you don't count that helmet one. The VIS 180 and VIS 180 Micro - they both look pretty cool. Even their front lights look awesome, especially with the side visibility.

You can't go wrong with CatEye! One AA is pretty insane - I wonder how bright the flashing mode is for their claimed 80 hours.

Latest posts