U2 / A2 Fence

GreySave

Enlightened
The truth of the matter is that I am almost certain that if I bought and tried both lights I would like both, as each has its own niche. And once I have both and find I like both, both will remain, wallet will be even thinner, and then there's the better half to keep happy! (And she WON'T be happy if I dropped another $500 on both lights)

I love the passion that so many of you have for your lights. This forum and Quickbeam's site have always guided my in my purchases as I lurked in the background for the past 9 months, and enabled me to purchase good lights that met or exceeded my expectations. You provide a valuable service, and every opinion counts. I wish folks I know could get as excited about other things in their lives the way you folks do about flashlights. Then again, this truly is an addiction.......

batman

Enlightened
What I know about the U2 and other high power LEDs in general is just anecdotal evidence gathered from reading thousands of posts on the CPF - I have no real world experience with a U2 but for the price it sure better be better than the A2.
A lot of people feel that for right now, with current LED technology where it is, the 100 Lumen & under category is best with LED; 100 + is incan territory,..& even further out you have HIDs (thousands of lumens).

Last edited:

rgp4544

Newly Enlightened
I think that there are forum members here who buy a new light every time they can afford one, and other forum members who study the experience of others in order to avoid wasting money on a collection of lights.

White light that everybody loves tends to suck for identifying certain things...especially dark things like rust or the cracked paint near a bad rivet. People who prefer LEDs should preflight an aircraft or inspect their car with a U2 or any other LED only light of their choice in the dark very thoroughly, then do it again with an A2. When using the A2 you might see what you missed when using just an LED, and sometimes what you missed will kill you.

Soldiers and police also seem to overwhelmingly prefer incandescents, and they aren't idiots and they aren't buying lights just because they like to throw away money and play with expensive lights.

This did not keep me from preordering an LED only Kroma Mil Spec, which I am hoping won't be too bright or too white. Personally I don't think the U2 is any more practical than an A2 but I hope that the Kroma is at least as good as an A2.

Richard

dchao

Enlightened
I was in the same postion as you, what sealed the deal was the U2's ability to take Pila 600S (new one won't accept 18650 anymore). I am very happy with the 600S.

Last edited:

strat1080

Newly Enlightened
I say A2 for many reasons. Its cheaper, smaller, and very useful. I tend to keep things simple. I don't need a million different power settings. I would probably find myself playing around with a U2 more like a toy than using it as a tool. The A2 has the benefit of long run time with the LEDs as well as the regulated incand. that is always going to be white. Incand. are always white and you don't have to play your luck with the Luxeon lottery. For serious lighting tasks I prefer an Incand. over LEDs when I really need to make something out in the dark. Color rendition is best with Incand lights so I suppose it really matters what you are going to be using it for. I just think that the A2 is simpler to operate and very useful. Less chance of something going wrong as well. The more you complicate something, there is a greater chance of something going wrong. I've had lights that have had several power settings but usually only use two. I think the A2 Aviator is the best all around flashlight ever made. It has a useful low setting that won't terribly disrupt your night vision or deplete your batteries and the excellent incand beam for a massive wall of light. What else do you really need?

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
strat1080 said:
I say A2 for many reasons. Its cheaper, smaller, and very useful. I tend to keep things simple. I don't need a million different power settings. I would probably find myself playing around with a U2 more like a toy than using it as a tool. The A2 has the benefit of long run time with the LEDs as well as the regulated incand. that is always going to be white. Incand. are always white and you don't have to play your luck with the Luxeon lottery. For serious lighting tasks I prefer an Incand. over LEDs when I really need to make something out in the dark. Color rendition is best with Incand lights so I suppose it really matters what you are going to be using it for. I just think that the A2 is simpler to operate and very useful. Less chance of something going wrong as well. The more you complicate something, there is a greater chance of something going wrong. I've had lights that have had several power settings but usually only use two. I think the A2 Aviator is the best all around flashlight ever made. It has a useful low setting that won't terribly disrupt your night vision or deplete your batteries and the excellent incand beam for a massive wall of light. What else do you really need?

wow.... the a2 is best light all around flashlight ever made! And the 6 stages on the u2 makes it bad.... that is funny.

-David

Brangdon

Newly Enlightened
onlinewarlord said:
Before I sold my U2 I found that I only ever used it on the Highest or Lowest levels.
I use level 4 sometimes. That gives a reasonable amount of light for walking, without blinding me if I shine it too close. (It's probably around 40 lumens.)

I used to use level 5 as a compromise between maximum brightness and reasonable runtime. In practice I've not needed to make that compromise since I put rechargables in it, but it's still nice to have it available. (It's around 75 lumens.)

Level 6 is needed because every torch needs a full balls-out brightest setting. Nowadays I use it a lot for throw because I don't care about runtime. (It's around 120 lumens.)

Levels 2 and 3 I don't really use. I either need less light or more light.

Level 1 I don't think I use much. That's partly because I have plenty of other dim torches. My U2 is not my every-day carry, so if I have it with me it's because I know I want some light. It is a useful level, though. (It's around 8 lumens.)

Ideally I'd like to lose levels 2 and 3, make level 3 as dim as level 1 is now, then add two new dimmer levels. They'd be around 0.3 lumens and 1 lumen. Basically I am in favour of multi-level lights.

(The lumen figures in brackets are just my estimates from comparing with other torches. They may be wrong, and other U2s will vary anyway, but they may help give you an idea of how much light I am talking about.)

strat1080

Newly Enlightened
wow.... the a2 is best light all around flashlight ever made! And the 6 stages on the u2 makes it bad.... that is funny.

I was implying that for the price, the versatility and the size, you can't beat the A2 Aviator. I don't find that the U2 would be very EDC capable. It has a 1.5" bezel for crying out loud. Its also 3/4 of an inch longer than the already long A2 Aviator. I draw the line at 1.25" bezel and 5.5" length and even that is pushing it for me. The A2 is simply a very handy flashlight. Awesome regulated incand. beam and very useful low LED setting. As stated earlier, people that need lights for serious tasks tend to stick with incand. LEDs just don't quite light things up the way incand. do, especially outdoors. Incand. beams best impersonate natural sunlight. LEDs will always have a different character than incand. and even non-flashaholics will tell you that incand. seem more natural and comfortable to look at.

a99raptors

Enlightened
strat1080 said:
I was implying that for the price, the versatility and the size, you can't beat the A2 Aviator. I don't find that the U2 would be very EDC capable. It has a 1.5" bezel for crying out loud. Its also 3/4 of an inch longer than the already long A2 Aviator. I draw the line at 1.25" bezel and 5.5" length and even that is pushing it for me. The A2 is simply a very handy flashlight. Awesome regulated incand. beam and very useful low LED setting. As stated earlier, people that need lights for serious tasks tend to stick with incand. LEDs just don't quite light things up the way incand. do, especially outdoors. Incand. beams best impersonate natural sunlight. LEDs will always have a different character than incand. and even non-flashaholics will tell you that incand. seem more natural and comfortable to look at.
Ditto.

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ill Take a A2 Anyday! The U2 Is Great But for the Price the A2 Is Not Beaten. A2's Color Rendition Is AWESOME and Appears to throw farther also.

fasteddie

Enlightened
I had an A2 which was stolen out of my glove box when my car was being repaired. The Lexus dealer reimbursed me for it, and I replaced it with a U2. The A2 was never bright enough for me... the leds were too dim for map reading, etc. The incan was too bright for close up work, but not bright enough for distance. Same deal for camping. The A2 just wasnt bright enough for me. I find myself appreciating more light output as my eyes get older, so the U2 was the one for me.

GreySave

Enlightened
Well, the A2 arrived yesterday. My first impressions were that while it was very well built, it also appeared to be over rated. Was not very impressed trying it out in the house during the day. It did not have the big bang first impression effect like the L4 did. In addition, the "yellow" color as compared to the LEDs was a quick turn off. But, as I have said before, I tend to set my standards rather high. What I found was that the qualities that make the A2 so popular among many of you become much more apparent as you continue to use the light. It took me awhile to fully appreciate the L4, and I am finding the same to be true about the A2. I have already noticed that it is much easier to see what is going on in the yard (we have retired greyhounds) with the A2 than any of the LED lights, including the L4. The A2 does not reflect off of the glass as much, the wider hot spot provides good throw, and the better color rendition really helps in a yard that is landscaped with a lot of green growing things and brown mulch that closely matches the reddish-brown 'hounds. There is more side spill than I expected, which is welcome. The L4 lights everything up nicely, but the A2 makes it easier to quickly determine what is going on and I think it does have to do with the color rendition provided by that seemingly "yellow" light. I am sure that I will love the output regulation.

I suspect it will become the new dog walking light as the LEDs are plenty bright enough to see and be seen, yet not so bright as to disturb neighbors or others who may be out while the brightness of the incandescant awaits it's call. Yes, the LEDs do have a definite blue tint, but it is acceptable to me given the purpose they will fulfill. I think I will find myself using the A2 more and more, yet not actually replacing anything else. Every tool has its own uses, and flashlights are not any different. I suspect I will soon be carrying two lights as EDC. Yes, I know. Only two?

Last edited:

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah, the a2 seems to be the most overrated light on these forums... not saying its bad... but for what it does.... led lights are the way to go imho.

i find it awkward that people are comparing it the the u2.... a xenon fify lumen 2 stage light is being compared to a led, 100 lumen light with 6 stages..... the u2 is a superior light- but you'll be paying a lot for its superiority.

-David

Last edited:

the fuzz

Enlightened
"what the u2 has over the a2"

Just do a search on the U2 in this forums.
for an expensive cost of a U2 there are so many problems experienced by CPF members, that should exists when your paying that much money.

Hands down A2 once you go incan you dont go back.

I had this delima, but A2 all the way , no brainer

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
the fuzz said:
"what the u2 has over the a2"

Just do a search on the U2 in this forums.
for an expensive cost of a U2 there are so many problems experienced by CPF members, that should exists when your paying that much money.

Hands down A2 once you go incan you dont go back.

I had this delima, but A2 all the way , no brainer

those u2 problems were WAY exagerrated.... i bought mine a few months ago, and no problem... runtime is AWSOME on 18650s too. A2 is nice, but if you can afford a u2, it there is no reason to go with the a2 other than size...

-David

Delvance

Enlightened
And the incan's ability to render colour better, not get washed out, throw further, lighter weight and instant one handed access to high level. (The bezel up carrying method works great for me too...)

Different strokes for different folks, but nothing will make me give up my modded A2 (40K LEDs sanded for smooth beam and bipin holder to use strion lamps...over 100 lumens easy and very very white).

lightplay22

Enlightened
Led's on A2 were too dim to read a map?? Must have been a
really bum A2! IMHO the incan can show where led can not show. I love my HDS and would love to have an L2(future plan) but these lights cannot do some things the A2 can. For a light that can be pocketed fairly well, the performance of the A2 is at the top of the list. As others have mentioned, the versatility of the A2 really does grow on you.