U2 Owners

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
greenLED said:
You'll need to shim the reflector/emitter to get rid of the donut. You "only" need to open the head without damaging anything... :green:

why does the reflectors placement have any effect??? Is it not only the fault of the LED??? Also, on which stages would one see the donut (for the most part).

-David

grnamin

Enlightened
cheapo said:
why does the reflectors placement have any effect??? Is it not only the fault of the LED??? Also, on which stages would one see the donut (for the most part).

-David

Changing the position of the reflector in relation to the LED is much like turning the bezel on a M@aglite to change the focus of the beam. Some donuts appear in all 6 levels, yet some other U2s have donuts that appear only in the lower intensities.

twentysixtwo

Enlightened
The donut is typically from the reflector being a little too close to the emitter. If you are able to loosen up the head, you can get a second o-ring to space the head out and fix the donut.

As far as the tint, there is no better fix than to get a WW0S from Fred (Photonfanatic) and swap it out.

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
i'm scared to send my as I think (not scientific) my light is bright for a U2. The donut is small but I've have MAJOR tailcap issues. I'm on my fourth right now.

I remember my first tailcap fialure and the shock of a $220 flashlight not being as reliable as a $20.00 mag...

Now, four later....it just seems like part of owning one of these things :(

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
well thats just great... nothing like paying $200 for a non-reliable light... at least we can be pretty sure that surefire will fix it.... eventually. So, basically, when my future u2 comes, i should expect a donut hole?

-david

dizzy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I held off on buying the U2 because of all the problems I had been hearing about, but got lucky and found a CPF'er on B/S/T selling a U2 with NO problems. I know this was probably a once in a lifetime find that someone would want to sell a perfect U2, but it happened. I couldn't have been more happy with it when I got it . It is now probably my favorite light.

Keep on checking and maybe onother will come along.:)

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
i special ordered one from my local military store, so i will get to test it first. Either way, i will most likely buy it as long as it works, because i am going to need it for camping in july.

edit: actually, the newest surefire packaging doesnt allow you to open it without cutting the plastic... guess i will just risk it.

also, my local store has one that works FLAWLESSLY and has a nice tint but has a donut, that is why i special ordered another one, to see if i can get one "donutless" i hope i am not pushing my luck.

-David

Last edited:

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
so, does anyone not have a donut hole at all on the highest 3 settings?

-David

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine has as donut hole at all settings after about 6'. It is not sufficient to cause me to be troubled by it. I sent in my original due to the donut hole as I am sensitive to that sort of thing.

All of my Surefire Lux V lights have a donut hole except for my L2... technically, it does have a donut hole but it is so slight that it is almost imperceptable to my eyes except when shined on a ceiling and even then, you have to look for it to find it.

Cheapo, you have reason to be excited, the U2 is the finest light that I own.

It is great for hiking / camping!

-Goatee

seaward

Newly Enlightened
Sent mine out for green tint and a donut...seven to eight weeks later I got back a very nice tint and a larger donut.. :mad:

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
i just cant wait to take her camping... i plan on wadeing and fishing at night in a stream... the u2 should light up all the water in front of us. My brother ordered a k2 kroma, and i hope he gets that in by july, so he can show that off too. (we both ordered it from a military px.) But i guess i am GOING to get a donut hole, and i'll try to live with that. I am also wondering if replacing it with a wwot will get rid of the donut.

-David

Last edited:

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I went to Surefire and talked to Tech Support and the donut hole is a characteristic of the Lux V that varies, but it will definitely be there since it is the design of the LED. If you place your flashlight close to a wall approximately 1 inch away you will see the pattern of the hole. Surefire tries there best to limit this problem. Changing the position of the reflector should change the pattern of the beam, and I personally like the spot and side spill the way it is now.
grnamin said:
Changing the position of the reflector in relation to the LED is much like turning the bezel on a M@aglite to change the focus of the beam. Some donuts appear in all 6 levels, yet some other U2s have donuts that appear only in the lower intensities.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
i am wondering if the newest ones have been in any way controlled to have less donut holes than the previous models.

-David

greenLED

Flashaholic
David, the donut hole is *waaaay* overrated/exaggerated. It only shows up while wall hunting; it's not an issue in "real" life. It's time we move aways from being armchair flashaholics.

I've had 3 U2's pass through my hands and they've all had the donut hole - none was significant for me to declare those U2's "lemons" based solely on the donut hole. I used my last U2 as a main bike light - never noticed anything while riding.

As mentioned many times before, the donut will be there when throw is optimized. You can tweak the reflector/LED assembly to get rid of it, but then your beam characteristics change.

Oh, and before somebody brings up issues with the tint: LuxV's will shift their tint on the lower levels. That's just the nature of the beast - all Lux's shift tints when driven at lower specs.

dizzy

Flashlight Enthusiast
To whoever is interested there is a nice U2 on B/S/T right now with no donut, white tint, and good clicky.

Here is your chance! No it's not mine.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
i was actually able to test out a u2 at a local store, and it had a nice tint, but a donut on highest setting from about 6 ft. Will i see the donut in far range tests?

i will take my chances on the u2 that i ordered. I dont particularly like donuts very well, but maybe I'll get lucky.

-David

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree As Quoted by greenLED: "the donut hole is *waaaay* overrated/exaggerated. It only shows up while wall hunting; it's not an issue in "real" life. It's time we move aways from being armchair flashaholics."

If you plan on wall hunting then really consider buying a 3w lux flashlight. They throw farther with no donut holes. Lux V are designed more for good throw and flood coverage which I find to be alot more effective when using it in total darkness.
Once you have a U2 the donut won't be an issue in real life darkness...All you will notice is a NICE bright white light with WIDE coverage.
cheapo said:
i was actually able to test out a u2 at a local store, and it had a nice tint, but a donut on highest setting from about 6 ft. Will i see the donut in far range tests?

i will take my chances on the u2 that i ordered. I dont particularly like donuts very well, but maybe I'll get lucky.

-David

DownUnderLite

Newly Enlightened
That is pretty much why I ordered one. If I shine it on a wall I'd probably see a dohnut and be a little disappointed.
awman.gif

But if I can take it outside and use it as a real world flashlight that does the job, No problem. Good torch!!
sold.gif

I just hope the switch is OK!!

Latest posts