Uber-powered lights. Uses?

Illum

Flashaholic
DM51 said:
Quite useful for scaring away elephants.

elephants? :eek:oo: which civilization are you living in?
guys like us usually worry about wildlife like bobcats and pets consisting primarily of dogs....elephants....:ohgeez:

bridgman

Enlightened
Magcharger/1160 is about the minimum to clearly see predators on the road before I let the dogs out at night. They live in the park on the other side and hang out on the road (200 feet away) looking for rodents and small dogs.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
I own a 75W HID BarnBurner by XeVision, and a Gen 3 Maxabeam by Peakbeam systems, and Mac's Torch made by Mac's Customs. :rock:

Honestly, I have them just for the sake of my hobby. I love all kinds of lights, big & small, bright & dim. I primarily use them just to grin. My lights make me happy, like Jay Leno's cars make him happy. But every now and them they come in handy.

I use the XeVision in my boat to navigate a river out to the gulf of Mexico before the sun rises.

I really dont have a "real" use for the Maxabeam or the Torch, but they sure are a whole lotta fun! :D

TOOCOOL

Enlightened
As a security guard I sometimes (maybe once a week) flash my HID around just to let people know that the place is guarded I know the cops have seen it :laughing: they have stopped to find out what the heck was making all that light !.

bowman

Newly Enlightened
I have a ROP with a medium orange peel that gets heavy use when walking our dog after dark. We have a large field behind our house that goes up 250 - 300 yards to a tree line. It lights up half the hillside, so I can really keep an eye on the dog, plus other critters such as raccoons, coyotes,[font=&quot] etc. So I do use this light quite often.[/font]

DM51

Flashaholic
Illum_the_nation said:
guys like us usually worry about wildlife like bobcats and pets consisting primarily of dogs....elephants....:ohgeez:
They don't like sudden bright lights. If you also make a lot of noise, they go away. They can be quite persistent, and they tend to go through things rather than round them, which can be a great nuisance.

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
I am looking into getting a 500 lumen spot light that i can plug into a car lighter for police patrol duty.
I have a 200 something lumen light for diving. Other than that i cant think of a reason i would need such a bright light.

On a curious note, how many lumens is a helicopter spotlight? Your average car headlight?

dulridge

Enlightened
Illum_the_nation said:

Having lived in a place where the big grey things were a menace - though admittedly more hippos than elephants, personally I'd recommend a PTRD or a PTRS.

2 tons of annoyed meat is really, really not something you want near you. The flash from the recommended devices will usually intimidate them if the 14.5mm bullet doesn't.

Best bet is to be somewhere else - no lights required then ;-)

frogs3

Enlightened
The BarnBurner or X990 are for walking/hiking at night to be sure that I am either alone or aware of who is around but well before anyone is too close.

Checking the backyard during storms which take out the power and raise the creek over its banks behind the house; see esp. BarnBurner above.

Finding the leaks in the roof during heavy rainstorms, up into the crawlspace, which absorbs the light like a sponge.

Wife: as a realtor, taking clients to houses without much light at night, to see the basements and large back yards;

During power outage, to prepare and serve dinner in a well-lighted room.

The list goes on as my memory is jogged, but you get the idea. Not just playthings.

=HAK

wakibaki

Newly Enlightened
eyeeatingfish said:
On a curious note, how many lumens is a helicopter spotlight? Your average car headlight?

An H3 driving lamp halogen runs about 1000 lumens for 55W input. Course you can overdrive them a bit. I like 12 NiCds or NiMHs to drive one of these in a gunlight for lamping.

You can get the approximate lumens for any lamp by multiplying the wattage by the typical efficiency in lumens/Watt for that technology which you can google.

w

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use my Quad-luxIII which puts out ~350 lumens out the front to walk my dog with every night. I defenitly don't "need" that much light, but it makes me feel more secure when walking in the dark country. I can see everything around me, which is important as my dog is a small terrier and would have a hard time protecting herself against predators.

cdosrun

Enlightened
I use my ROP for walking down tree-covered country lanes at night when I am with other people. The Fenices (P1D-CE/L2D-CE) work for the same job, but it is much more comfortable to simply flood the area with light so everyone can see what is happening than have to keep flicking the torch around. I think it is also quite intimidating at night and causes both cars and people to give you a wider berth. The job can be accomplished with smaller lights, but why not use the more powerful ones when available.

The Mag85R sits by my bed for what many people call the 'bump in the night scenario' :)

Andrew

zapper

Enlightened
I have an L2D-CE like most which is great indoors or around the vehicle when you have a clue as to what you may be looking for in the first place. Now, I don't have an Uber light but I have a Mag with 2x18650's and a 5cell Magnum star bulb and one of those Coleman 1 million CP (riiiiight...) rechargeable handheld spotlights. I live in Houston so there is plenty of ambient light but when the dog starts barking or there's some noise from the street or car alarm, these come out to light up the entire area at once. Don't want any surprises coming up at you from any "urban wildlife" being four OR two legged. If the act of being detected and seen with a light doesn't encourage them to move along then a slide or pump action chambering a round usually sends the distinct message that it's time to move along. Nieghbors have asked about the lights and are very happy and now don't mind when I'm doing comparisons and lighting up their houses!!

:lolsign: :goodjob: :grin2: