Ugliest brand youve never given a chance?

brembo

Enlightened
I mentioned in an earlier post that ZLs just didn't do it for me and I'd snag a SC51 if/when it popped on the marketplace. Well I grabbed a SC30 instead at a good price. So ZL is off the list now and I hope that the UI. size and performance sweep the horrid looks (to my eye) under the rug. It'll give me an excuse to get more shiny things to play with.

chanjyj

Enlightened
I wonder if some of these Chinese/Asian names actually make more sense and have a better meaning in their native dialect? For example like when Coca-Cola first marketed to China, the way we pronounce it literally translated to them meant "bite the wax tadpole" or "female horse stuffed with wax" depending on if Cantonese or Mandarin. Coke did a lot of research to find a phonetic equivalent- "kokou kole", meaning "happiness in the mouth". Much more appropriate- if you like carbonated beverages... :sick2:

From the way I look at it, no. None of the "bad" names I see here make any sense in Chinese other (I speak Chinese).

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thing I do know, the Chinese tend to use animals and/or mythical creatures for their brand. You have names like Panda brand, Horse brand, Dragon brand, Phoenix brand, Lion brand or Mackerel brand... you get it. I half suspect Fenix actually derived it's name from the mythical creature Phoenix. Actually much as I like some of the design from Fenix, I never really bothered with it since I find the name a little cheesy, if that's the word.

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
The real problem is that they dont understand the English language well enough to come up with cool names to start with.

Monocrom

Flashaholic

That's nothing. A company in Japan during the 1970s came up with a new sterio system for the U.S. market. They needed a name. What's more majestic than the wood-pecker? Apparently nothing. They went with it. Then they dreamed up a wonderful Ad campaign to show off how soft and sensative the buttons were on the new sound system. American consumers were invited to "Touch woody," as the theme of the Ad campaign.

Thankfully for the company, an American executive living in Japan at the time saw the name and the Ad campaign ideas before they were put into place.

stallion2

Enlightened
i'm gonna say Dereelights but i still think they have one of the best product lines around. i have a "kit" of tons of DBS and CL1H parts and will never part w/ them.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
i'm gonna say Dereelights but i still think they have one of the best product lines around. i have a "kit" of tons of DBS and CL1H parts and will never part w/ them.

Must admit, most comfortable light out of the far too many to count that I own has been my Dereelight CL1H v4.

Captain Spaulding

Enlightened
The real problem is that they dont understand the English language well enough to come up with cool names to start with.
And then Sunwayman sounds good to someone

I've never owned a one. I've never been sure how to pronounce it. "dee-ree"? "da-ree"? "dairy"? Seriously, how's it pronounced?

That's nothing. A company in Japan during the 1970s came up with a new sterio system for the U.S. market. They needed a name. What's more majestic than the wood-pecker? Apparently nothing. They went with it. Then they dreamed up a wonderful Ad campaign to show off how soft and sensative the buttons were on the new sound system. American consumers were invited to "Touch woody," as the theme of the Ad campaign.

Thankfully for the company, an American executive living in Japan at the time saw the name and the Ad campaign ideas before they were put into place.

Out of curiosity, what did they go with?

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably from an overall perspective, I feel Icon top the list. Too large and weird looking

HDS flashlights never appealed to me. I always thought they were ugly. But I can't count HDS since i just bought the HDS Rotary (still think it's ugly though :sick2:, but I love it)

I love Malkoff's drop in, but not a fan of their lights

Fenix TA series looks like it came from a bad sci fi movie

Some of Sunwayman's lights actually seem pretty interesting, but the name is :green:

BilMacGil

Newly Enlightened
Icon.......it seems almost sadistic to say it after what I've read here, but the shapes and scoops and awful colors remind me of the worst excesses in 70's American muscle cars.:sick2::drool::oops:

davyro

Enlightened
I've got 2 that i wouldn't buy just because i don't like the look of them 1st is Surefire,i'll probs get hammered for that but to me they look terrible.I don't like the shape of the heads,
i think the plastic one's look like a kiddy's toy,for me they're not the best looking by a distance.
In second place i agree with a lot in this thread it's Icon just terrible looking lights.I've got another thing that i would never have on a flashlight,this will probs get a few eyebrows raised
in the titanium custom world.I can't stand that pineapple host,it just seems far to big & bulky for the heads sitting on them,i much prefer a simple elegantly designed host.

Last edited:

Flashlight Enthusiast
a) probably off topic because it isn't really a commercial light...

but even if I was overloaded with cash, and given one as a gift, I would not want to touch or handle
or own, or look at, a cool fall Spy TriV. ugliest, nastiest thing on earth at any price.

but people crave them so I won't knock 'em other than ...'it ain't my style by a longshot'

b) next would be Mr Bulk Dragonhearts. I don't get it.

c) next Icon

d) then any light with more than one mini-domed emitter (like Nichia) never liked multi-led lights
but multi pill like XML are ok...

I like Zebralights because the headlamp design (horizontal 18650) makes perfect
sense for tidy packaging, and the UI is awesome (moon mode to turbo mode and all in-between)
and I love the olive drab. but only on Zebralights. other lights would be horrible in drab olive.

Last edited: