Ultrafire UV 400nm to 365nm Conversion

slikhead

Newly Enlightened
i am thinking i might try this out using some cheaper components and then when i am confident will have a crack with the NVSU233A.

btw I have just bought a Convoy S2 UV flashlight from aliexpress.com and am really happy with it, but I am still keen to see what a really good UV led will do.

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
That convoy S2 assuming it is a genuine copy has the NCSU276A U365 led in it which is just a lower power version of the NVSU233A. It has the same great UV properties, just not as bright.

Dr. Mario

Enlightened
Correct. NCSU276A-U365 LED is rated about half that of the NVSU233A-U365 LED. I went with NVSU233A LED for obvious reasons, as occasionally you can never have too much ultraviolet light, especially with the special glues (Norland 61 being the popular choice here, especially with Tritium vial installation).

Also, be wary of fake UV LED flashlight copy - if you see the LED that looks like the one in picture, you're good. The only way now to be able to confirm that you have got the genuine thing is to see for yourself.

Last edited:

Dr. Mario

Enlightened
Also, the LED in this picture are mounted NVSU233A-U365 (I had to cheat here - Kapton tape's my best friend here so the LED will work on Cree XP-G LED MCPCB).

That way you will know you're getting the genuine Nichia UV LEDs.

5gcgRaXZVuzw2nTEp5NNcmlHxsQbfN_a4X_iEwGjIAq5QLYeAswBaYhFkKUVeXpSxesKuIx8M9yRz5vJg-ssCjXa46cqMH4NyCnNIIjf3FXdzc8GhVsAamGyfXo06yiVlim_Ae_MatdqIe0Vb4w3w7rtVpdBmVZ4fgEywmSxkPRk2ZwMxqsdYxfGJ8fHwRqKnIbaT4LE1gPV1T57GtyKqwtrB7-RgcC0pWiTAlhlzk9Kw8rBFj-E3cif9dNyO__TQ04EXf-5EoYSeci9AxhNbMYw4yTcVlN116g4Az8NJJc9iAtm-skY7vE99Mjwl2bRKmmjjEvF3LdeNQ_t9DVJxxwVyGhNZtf1JBdd-8h_WtC40Oie7hjz_9PLCxsYMegFqC0Xv-RhCQlgCs2yxWfT3qDFM3E_2ff2YFeYUQcF1f43bfTZM9dLrjzCsWIdoMa4HL19_0nXkS-dKZ1bBPtfjiYxPYavvan9RUZDNm69PMPdWbCPOC8BhMYycbd6nIopGtTDaFdi2CSjQ6zbCdgRtnqGFPntLLajYUC8zpmVtiG0Px7HIyC-_vAZdyKYLrBcHw_0qGVDIHNaD8kyRAy4cBq1sKxjdQLfy79ovkFov4jOQ9qktLdiWz-_=w462-h615-no

Last edited:

slikhead

Newly Enlightened
Whew, Had a quick look with my geological loupe and the led is the same as the one pictured, thanks Dr.Mario.

i am really happy with the UV output and how it lights up various minerals, but a more powerful light would be awesome, so will definitely try to get one sorted.

Bearing in mind i am happy with a little visible light and wont need a filter do you think the convoy S2 is the best host, or would one of the larger flashlights give better results?

slikhead

Newly Enlightened
That convoy S2 assuming it is a genuine copy has the NCSU276A U365 led in it which is just a lower power version of the NVSU233A. It has the same great UV properties, just not as bright.

Yip this light is pretty awesome and is superior to the other lights i have seen lately, brighter would be better tho

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a ZWB2 filter on my convoy and I like it much better. It's 89 cents at gearbest give it a try. You still get some visible light but it really makes the UV more noticeable

Dr. Mario

Enlightened
Visible light is actually cut down by 80 - 90% with ZWB2 filter. Convoy S2 is the easiest host to find that the ZWB2 filter at Gearbest can and will fit.

Dr. Mario

Enlightened
As for the host, it's up to you, if you want larger host for best heatsinking, it would be fine but you lose the option of having blacklight filter, unless you pony up for pricey filters (I don't think they do custom cut of ZWB2 filter, but if they do, I'd be pretty surprised). If you wanna cheap blacklight filter, your only option would be Convoy S2 or similar host with the same glass lenses diameter (20mm).

Of course, my blacklight flashlight get warm (pretty hot after 5 - 10 minutes) on the fresh charge of battery (1 Amp at 4.0 Volts, at the LED - Nanjg AK-47 driver is used, with 100% mode firmware) - although I don't use blacklight flashlight for way too long. I have another one, a modified Ultrafire WF-501b with the same NVSU233A LED and driver in the P60 pill, for this purpose - it's unfiltered though, but is still great for UV cure glues. That makes it two NVSU233A-U365 based blacklight flashlights in my possession.

slikhead

Newly Enlightened
I have a ZWB2 filter on my convoy and I like it much better. It's 89 cents at gearbest give it a try. You still get some visible light but it really makes the UV more noticeable

thanks i will check one out, although a little visible light is prety handy when wandering around rocky and unstable places

slikhead

Newly Enlightened
As for the host, it's up to you, if you want larger host for best heatsinking, it would be fine but you lose the option of having blacklight filter, unless you pony up for pricey filters (I don't think they do custom cut of ZWB2 filter, but if they do, I'd be pretty surprised). If you wanna cheap blacklight filter, your only option would be Convoy S2 or similar host with the same glass lenses diameter (20mm).

Of course, my blacklight flashlight get warm (pretty hot after 5 - 10 minutes) on the fresh charge of battery (1 Amp at 4.0 Volts, at the LED - Nanjg AK-47 driver is used, with 100% mode firmware) - although I don't use blacklight flashlight for way too long. I have another one, a modified Ultrafire WF-501b with the same NVSU233A LED and driver in the P60 pill, for this purpose - it's unfiltered though, but is still great for UV cure glues. That makes it two NVSU233A-U365 based blacklight flashlights in my possession.

thanks again Dr. Mario, you have been really helpful and i appreciate you taking the time to help me out (sorry for the late reply, have been away for a couple of weeks)

pirateo40

Newly Enlightened
I know this is a relatively old thread but I was scanning and noticed several questions about the need for a visible blocking, UV pass filter (ZWB2 type), as well as a few comments about 400nm vs 365nm. I build my own lights using the LED Engin LZ1's (my big light has 4ea) but I fell in love with the Convoy S2+ 365nm flashlight. My application is fluorescent minerals where visible light is the enemy, and 400nm (390nm) flashlights are toys. The Convoy light is one of the best things that's come along for our hobby in a long time - price is right, power is great, and 365nm is spot-on for longwave minerals. I posted a review if folks are interested in why 365nm is important and filtering visible light even more important: https://www.naturesrainbows.com/sin...cant-Innovation-in-UV-Mineral-Lights-in-Years