Unusual new item at Costco

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think your area is probably the same as my area ;)

Bear in mind that a computer geek, especially one that spends their time conspiring on the web to find ways of ripping off companies, will be able to get a free upgrade every 6 months on a computer purchased at Costco. Actually that 6 month return policy has been in effect for about 3-4 years now. Also bear in mind that other major retailers will usually limit computer returns to something like 15 days or so.

I guess Costco can't afford to employ clerks that are bonded jewel appraisers? :D

Just take a look at the people that you see circulating around a Costco store these days and you can guess why they need to take additional security measures these days. Some of those customers can't even afford to feed their families, they have to bring them to Costco, block all the aisles and feed their familes at the food sample tables.

BB said:
Costco (at least in my area) has had to change their return policies for certain High Value items... Computers/Laptops are only 6 months (mfg. warranty after that) and jewelry with diamonds has to be sent back for appraisal before money is returned (gee, wonder why).

Don't blame them a bit...

-Bill

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just an update my local Costco still has these for sale. They are now $79 with a $30 off at register discount, so they are $49 per bucket.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
$49 for 275 meals? Besides survival, it sounds like something that might be good if you're on a budget. Better than eating Ramen soup every day.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
More like a few dozen meals, if what's said in that lawsuit is true...
Still good price though. I'd get one if there were costcos around here.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
IIRC, virtually everything in there has a base of non-dairy (artificial) creamer + some sort of soy/flavoring.

And, yes, you have to eat 3-4 meals to get enough calories to actually survive.

-Bill

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is the Nutristorage link (you can check ingredients on-line):

www.nutristorage.com

We had it at our Costco a couple months ago--looks like they were just getting rid of stock.

-Bill

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
That Costco store that LowBat refers to has had these buckets on clearance for about 3 months at $79.97, currently with the $30 "instant rebate" They were originally priced at 109.99 There is indeed a class action suit that has been filed against Costco (deep pockets) alleging fraud, that was filed in Kings County WA. A copy of the pleading can be found at http://soundpolitics.com/PopeCostcoLawsuit.pdf

The complaintant is an attorney and member of the LDS church. I don't know why the manufacturer/distributor/packer, Food For Health International of Orem UT was not named in the complaint.

Just an update my local Costco still has these for sale. They are now $79 with a $30 off at register discount, so they are $49 per bucket.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I'm thinking some canned food, tons of extra batteries, hand-cranked radio, can-opener, Jugs and bottles of water, maybe some freeze-dried food.

I know you guys already have the flashlights covered.

If that deal at Costco doesn't provide enough required calories, then what's the point? Still, if you want to go that route, a large jar of peanut butter and some crackers can help to up the calorie count.

Last edited:

KingGlamis

Banned
I can see that the product claims are probably false and something needs to be changed and money refunded to those who want to return the food. But what I have a HUGE problem with is this, contained in the lawsuit text:

"compensatory damages for emotional distress, mental anguish..."

Are you kidding me? Wait, he's a lawyer, so no surprise there. They didn't even eat the stuff or try to "survive" on it, so WHAT emotional distress or mental anguish could they possibly have encountered??? This kind of bogus gold digging makes me sick! And I have no ties to Costco, just ranting in general. If a mis-labeled product caused that much emotional distress, I got news for this guy, he's not going to be able to handle a natural disaster anyway!

I better stop now, I could rant on and on about how much this topic causes me "emotional distress." Maybe I should file a suit against him?:crackup:

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't understand it either. Generally lawsuits of this nature are filed against the originating manufacturer, perhaps with the retail vendors named as Does. Just seems rather odd that the suit is filed solely against Costco, naming their executives as defendents, and other retailers who might carry the product and the manufacturer is left out entirely. That's why my first impression of it was that the guy is going after deep pockets.

It's not as if Costco misrepresented the product, they merely assigned a SKU number to it and posted the price. Seems that someone from the manufacturer (or their contracted representative) would have had to pitch it to a Costco buyer (who is not a nuitritional expert,) in order to get the product into Costco (and yes, I'm familiar with how products get into Costco, and other retail stores.)

I can see that the product claims are probably false and something needs to be changed and money refunded to those who want to return the food. But what I have a HUGE problem with is this, contained in the lawsuit text:

"compensatory damages for emotional distress, mental anguish..."

Are you kidding me? Wait, he's a lawyer, so no surprise there. They didn't even eat the stuff or try to "survive" on it, so WHAT emotional distress or mental anguish could they possibly have encountered??? This kind of bogus gold digging makes me sick! And I have no ties to Costco, just ranting in general. If a mis-labeled product caused that much emotional distress, I got news for this guy, he's not going to be able to handle a natural disaster anyway!

I better stop now, I could rant on and on about how much this topic causes me "emotional distress." Maybe I should file a suit against him?:crackup:

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just take a look at the web site on my sig line and imagine what I've got :naughty:
I wouldn't waste $109 on a 5 gallon bucket. Get 50 pound bags of rice and beans for way cheap and a ton of canned foods. Little known fact is canned goods will normally last for decades if they were canned properly.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Or another method is to just eat them at regular intervals and replace the cans with new ones. Like you said, they're relatively cheap (at least compared to the specialty ready meal items that are marketed towards the survivialists interests.) The logic of keeping commonly used and available pantry items for years on end just kind of escapes me.

Little known fact is canned goods will normally last for decades if they were canned properly.