New odd thing at Wal-Mart.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I'm sure there have been folks who have done it. But there are others who won't risk Federal charges. They'll support and even fund efforts to demonitize the penny. But one of them said it best, even if he can't legally melt them down he's not losing money by holding onto them.
If you're in the scrap business and you've got tons of coinage on the books then it's quite sensible not to melt them down. If you collect and melt scrap as a hobby with a backyard furnace you won't have to explain that not all of those bread pan copper ingots originated as recovered electrical wiring.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
pennies are not pure copper, 95% zinc, 5% copper, worthless for scrap, they cost more as money than scrap.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Thankfully, we're not at the point where this is a big issue concerning spreading diseases through paper money. A bigger slow-down at check-out lanes is repeatedly swiping the same card multiple times. Either due to poor money management skills by the card-holder, or because someone screwed up and didn't authorize their benefits card for that month (Yes, it happens). With cash, you hand that over once per transaction. Get your change and go. Paper money was invented so that folks didn't need to carry around heavy coins in the larger denominations. Let's not return to that. But +1 to returning to the Gold Standard. Inflation wouldn't be so moronically high and out of control in America if we did that.
I remember before they streamlined this stuff, paying by credit used to be MUCH slower than by cash. Now it seems to be faster, at least if we're not talking about the instances you mentioned.

Coins needn't be super heavy if they're in larger denominations. I'm thinking stuff not much larger than a quarter. There's also something tactile and audible about coins that says "money". The old silver coins especially had a nice tone to them. Maybe I watched Scrooge too many times counting his gold but I think something is lost with paper money.

Yep, once we got off the gold standard that's when we just accepted regular inflation as "normal". Prior to that the prices of a lot of things, at least in terms of gold coins, were pretty stable.
I'll be honest, I could tell you some horror stories of folks who decided they had no reason to carry cash, and lived to regret that decision. Some of those stories, less horrifying. Like one night at Wal-greens when their systems went down, and all they could take was cash. Out of the numerous folks waiting on the line, guess who was the only one who could pay for his purchases. I make sure to always to have a $20 bill, and a $50 bill on me for emergencies. That also extends to the $100 bill hidden away in my work-bag, and the 1/10th of an ounce junk gold coin too.
Yeah, I usually carry at least $20 just in case but last time I used cash was at a dollar store over 6 months ago. Only reason was because I had forgotten my credit card.
Definitely agree with you again, regarding sales tax. Would just make things easier. Round it up! Plus, there's literally nothing you can buy any more that's a penny or 5 cents. Though there could be hidden issues there. Up until mid-1982, all pennies were copper. Demonitize the penny, and folks with massive amounts of such pennies (we're talking warehouses full of 55 gallon drums of pennies) would be able to legally melt them down and flood the market with copper bars. For now, their worth is only face-value as pennies. But the copper content makes each penny worth at least 3 cents. Nickels are about 75% copper. Which is why many preppers are hoarding them. Again, could have some unintended consequences if nickels are demonitized too.
Might be a problem. I don't know. I have tens of thousands of pennies myself, most pre-1982. I was in the habit of just throwing them in a jar when I got them in change, instead of spending them. Too annoying to carry around change which is nearly worthless. Ditto for nickels. Probably a few hundred dollars worth. I also tended to save mint condition examples of every other denomination, so lots of those as well.

Last edited:
They will accept cash when everyone wears their credit cards out. About half of the people at my Walmart want cash back.
Credit card debt is creeping up again.
Americans' credit card debt has reached one trillion dollars, which is an all-time high.

During 2021 Americans had an all-time savings high and an all-time credit card debt low.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Might be a problem. I don't know. I have tens of thousands of pennies myself, most pre-1982. I was in the habit of just throwing them in a jar when I got them in change, instead of spending them. Too annoying to carry around change which is nearly worthless. Ditto for nickels. Probably a few hundred dollars worth. I also tended to save mint condition examples of every other denomination, so lots of those as well.
Government seems determined to make our coins worthless, other than face-value. Somehow, nickels managed to mostly escape that trend. But Pre-1965 dimes, quarters, and half-dollars are 90% silver. Good luck finding them though! One "genius" economist recommended checking all the change you get for those with 1964 on them or earlier. Let's see, in two decades of doing that, I found a grand total of ONE dime. (I'll be honest, I still check though.) :)

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Government seems determined to make our coins worthless, other than face-value. Somehow, nickels managed to mostly escape that trend. But Pre-1965 dimes, quarters, and half-dollars are 90% silver. Good luck finding them though! One "genius" economist recommended checking all the change you get for those with 1964 on them or earlier. Let's see, in two decades of doing that, I found a grand total of ONE dime. (I'll be honest, I still check though.) :)
I still check mine and ever so often get a silver dime.
If you see a war time nickel (42-45) those have a higher silver content since copper was used for the war effort.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
Americans' credit card debt has reached one trillion dollars, which is an all-time high.

During 2021 Americans had an all-time savings high and an all-time credit card debt low.
+

Absolutely everyone & every industry jumped on the gravy train, however possible, as of Spring '20
People just couldn't spend money fast enough, that's big reason why companies/corporations raised prices through the roof.
...called it 'inflation'// 'supply chain',,,, nope, full gouging!

Mentioned my car oil filter went from $4.xx to $9.xx === that's FULL GOUGING, PERIOD

JoeJoe

Newly Enlightened
Bottom line is that the Globalists that want to control everything are pushing Digital Currency, and they are succeeding. Do a general search of leaders from countries mentioning this. Whether you like your debit card or not, it will be used to track and control. They will mention it is for convenience. No more piggy banks, paying with coins, flipping a quarter, watching the spinning machine count our coins, laundromat change machines, taping a penny to a hand made or folded glider. I could imagine a separate thread of all of the things done with coins and what they were used for.

The Hawk

Enlightened
The last time we were at W-mart was a couple weeks ago. The checkout line was incredibly long. We only had one item which was a new binder for my wife to file paperwork in. Neither of us wanted to wait that long, so she put the item down and we left. They do still take cash though. I have been to businesses that refuse to take cash. I no longer shop there.

PewPewPew

Newly Enlightened
Many small businesses have a 5.00 minimum purchase if you plan on using a card, because they're charged a percentage for every card swipe. Using cash actually saves businesses money and you can sometimes get a small discount if you tell them you're planning on using cash.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
It's very rare to see one these days. They weren't uncommon in change until maybe the late 1960s. My father got lots of them from change. He even went to the bank, got rolls of dimes/quarters/halves, and pulled out the silver ones. In fact, you could still easily get silver dollars from the bank for much of the 1960s. My dad got a bunch of Morgan and Peace dollars that way. Once the price of gold/silver went up in the early 1970s, people started checking for them, and pulled most of them out of circulation.

One of my regrets is never getting gold coins when the price of gold bottomed out at around $300 in the late 1990s. I could have gotten $20 gold pieces in near mint condition for ~$300, give or take.

Last edited:
One of my regrets is never getting gold coins when the price of gold bottomed out at around $300 in the late 1990s. I could have gotten $20 gold pieces in near mint condition for ~$300, give or take.

Hindsight is always 20/20.

However -

Hindsight bias, also known as the knew-it-all-along phenomenon or creeping determinism, is the common tendency for people to perceive past events as having been more predictable than they were

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Many small businesses have a 5.00 minimum purchase if you plan on using a card, because they're charged a percentage for every card swipe. Using cash actually saves businesses money and you can sometimes get a small discount if you tell them you're planning on using cash.
There are upsides and downsides to both forms of payment. Plastic has merchant fees - often a flat X cents plus a percentage of the gross amount - but can also clear quickly with negligible administrative overhead. Cash may not have upfront cost but has backend costs - handling (with its potential for errors and sticky fingers), counting, security, transportation - and has clearance delays after deposit. How it shakes out for the merchant depends on the particulars of whether upfront plastic costs counterbalances backend cash costs.

JoeJoe

Newly Enlightened
No charges to them for debit, right?

idleprocess

Flashaholic
No charges to them for debit, right?
No but some banks charge you for using debit card.
AFAIK debit cards have merchant fees, but they're considerably lower than credit card fees. It's why some establishments - Aldi's, Costco (save for one CC provider; presently it's Visa) probably the biggest - don't take credit cards but will accept debit cards.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Bottom line is that the Globalists that want to control everything are pushing Digital Currency, and they are succeeding. Do a general search of leaders from countries mentioning this. Whether you like your debit card or not, it will be used to track and control. They will mention it is for convenience. No more piggy banks, paying with coins, flipping a quarter, watching the spinning machine count our coins, laundromat change machines, taping a penny to a hand made or folded glider. I could imagine a separate thread of all of the things done with coins and what they were used for.
Those who issue your debit or credit cards can easily switch them off with a key-stroke. Learned that the hard way. I have a Benefits credit card issued in my name from my other full-time job. (Not the one where I'm kicking out obnoxious trespassers at night.) It's supposedly their way of saying "Thank you." Though there have been times I'm at the supermarket, got a cart full of groceries for the week, and the stupid card says "Declined." Meanwhile I know there's more than enough money to cover the purchase. That's when I reach for a different credit card or my debit card.

Call up the company having issued the Benefits card. Get an idiotically lame apology and excuses. Wait a few days before the problem is fixed. Yeah, no silly little machine ever "Declines" cash!