Upcoming Fenix Headlamp: HL20

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I was worried about the mounting arms too, so I tossed the HL20 around at room temp, several drops from 2-3 feet with the diffuser.
Nothing broke but I need to test it at cold temp too to make sure it does not brake when i'm outdoors with it.
I used the HL20 at -8F this winter and it held up just fine but never dropped it. Guessing the MC10 thing is a no go given what Mr Floppy posted.

fixitman

Newly Enlightened
can the diffuser be mounted so that it flips to the side or underneath?
I am looking for a headlamp that will be mounted to my hard hat at work. If the diffuser sticks up, it will likely get snagged on machinery and snapped off.

Woods Walker

can the diffuser be mounted so that it flips to the side or underneath?
I am looking for a headlamp that will be mounted to my hard hat at work. If the diffuser sticks up, it will likely get snagged on machinery and snapped off.

There is a little play left to right but that's about it. I would say it sticks up maybe an inch. It's easy to remove however.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, a mounting arm broke for me.

It's been over three years and the second arm has now broke. I've been using it with just the one arm and it held it quite securely. This time, the break was quite bad. It looks like the plastic fatigued over time and shattered in a few places as I put the body back in after a battery change. No gluing this back. Part of the arms are still there so it can work as a headlamp with a bit of ingenuity but I think it's done it's time and served me well for over three years. Time to look at the HL21

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got a pair of these the other day, and agree with most criticisms earlier in this thread:

• Far too throwy for most activities that a headlamp might be used for
  • The (must have) diffuser should diffuse more, and looks easy to break
  • Mid- and high mode are too much alike to the naked eye, could have been spaced better
  • Headband doesn't sit very comfortable, and could do with a re-design
That said, a more effective diffuser is easy to improvise, and same goes for the headband so no deal-breakers IMHO. What's left is a pretty decent 1x AA headlight @ a good price.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's been over three years and the second arm has now broke. I've been using it with just the one arm and it held it quite securely. This time, the break was quite bad. It looks like the plastic fatigued over time and shattered in a few places as I put the body back in after a battery change. No gluing this back. Part of the arms are still there so it can work as a headlamp with a bit of ingenuity but I think it's done it's time and served me well for over three years. Time to look at the HL21

Mine did this too. I fixed it by drilling some 3mm holes in the main section of the holder and used two, UV rated zip ties (the expensive black ones) and a piece of inner tube from a bicycle for some traction and it's actually better to use than the original set up.

Woods Walker

Mine is still just fine and I can see the difference between the med and high modes. I never did remove the body from the headband and betting this was a good thing.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine did this too. I fixed it by drilling some 3mm holes in the main section of the holder and used two, UV rated zip ties (the expensive black ones) and a piece of inner tube from a bicycle for some traction and it's actually better to use than the original set up.

Interesting, can you post a picture? I still have the plate. I squeezed the light into a Zebralight holder and it just isn't right without the rigid plate. For a start, I can't adjust the angle very well. I was trying to figure out a way to make the arms out of something stronger but just haven't come up with anything. I tried some zip ties and it moved too much but the inner tube sounds promising.

Stevie

Newly Enlightened
Greetings from England,
I have read this thread with great interest. I have the HL21 myself and would like to addif I may.
I find it an excellent performer for 'dynamic' activities,such as walking or running. The throwybeam shows the trail ahead very well, whilst the very good spill shows theground just in front rather well.
I have used it extensively for winter walking . Not sure if any of you guys in the US haveheard of a walk over here called the Pennine Way which is 280 Miles long, Iwalked a lot of this route last winter and the HL21 worked really well. What I really like about this light is thesingle AA format, nice and simple. Ireally can't understand why other manufacturers persist in using the 3 AAAformat. The single AA format means easybattery changes with cold, wet hands.
Sure, there's a few niggles. I agree with everyone's comments regarding the headband, silly diffuserand lack of 25 lumen mode. But I reallylike the 48 lumen mode for walking (and running) – the beam extends for a good useabledistance of about 50 metres.
If you are in camp, use a separate floody light (I have aZebralight for this purpose). The HL21is not an "in camp" light, rather it will get you to camp instead.
Don't remove the light from the clip supports, there reallyis no need to do this; as per reports above, the clips can fail.
A very interesting thread, thank you all.
Steve

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting, can you post a picture? I still have the plate. I squeezed the light into a Zebralight holder and it just isn't right without the rigid plate. For a start, I can't adjust the angle very well. I was trying to figure out a way to make the arms out of something stronger but just haven't come up with anything. I tried some zip ties and it moved too much but the inner tube sounds promising.

My house got struck by lightning last week and it fried the PC. When it's fixed I'll upload some shots using my 50D, as the iPhone camera sucks for detailed close ups.