Urgent advice needed

Kaiser

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys,

I need a new flashlight primarily for work but for travelling also. I'm a paramedic so primarily using the light for search/rescue, patient care procedures, self defence. Criteria as follows: 4-9" length, A++ durability, atleast 1 low & 1 high setting + tactical strobe,(bright enough to stun) prefer lithium or AA rechargable (eneloop etc), prefer metal body, good warranty, run time at least 1.5hr on high. Budget 60-110usd. I hav access to O light, fenex, stream, surefire and led lenser here in Australia.

I need to purchase this week so any suggestions appreciiated.

R@ndom

Enlightened
Hehe always good to see a new aussie on cpf. I personally got a itp from torchworld and had a good experience with both the product and the customer service.

Toaster

Enlightened
Fenix PD30
Fenix TA30
Olight M20
Olight T20
Olight T25

Those are the lights from Fenix and Olight that meet all your criteria. Surefire doesn't have strobe and is out of your budget. Not too familiar with Stream or Led Lenser so I'll let someone else comment on them. In terms of runtime, UI, and output I'd think the TA30 would be most suitable for you provided you don't mind the added length over the other choices.

Last edited:

wykeite

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys,

I need a new flashlight primarily for work but for travelling also. I'm a paramedic so primarily using the light for search/rescue, patient care procedures, self defence. Criteria as follows: 4-9" length, A++ durability, atleast 1 low & 1 high setting + tactical strobe,(bright enough to stun) prefer lithium or AA rechargable (eneloop etc), prefer metal body, good warranty, run time at least 1.5hr on high. Budget 60-110usd. I hav access to O light, fenex, stream, surefire and led lenser here in Australia.

My red, I sincerely hope that neither you nor anyone else on this forum would consider using any of the latest crop of LED lights to check for pupil reaction:thumbsdow. It's one situation where the humble and dim incan excels.

As to the brands you mention all are good but I do have a soft spot for Fenix, bought from the right place you have outstanding customer support. Not that you're likely to need it.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
My red, I sincerely hope that neither you nor anyone else on this forum would consider using any of the latest crop of LED lights to check for pupil reaction:thumbsdow. It's one situation where the humble and dim incan excels.

As to the brands you mention all are good but I do have a soft spot for Fenix, bought from the right place you have outstanding customer support. Not that you're likely to need it.

Would avoiding LED's for pupil reaction be because the current LED's are way too bright or is there some reason LED in general does not work for this procedure? If it's just a brightness factor there are of course many low power LED lights as well as one's that have a very low setting. I'm just asking as I have no idea about this.

Kaiser

Newly Enlightened
My red, I sincerely hope that neither you nor anyone else on this forum would consider using any of the latest crop of LED lights to check for pupil reaction:thumbsdow. It's one situation where the humble and dim incan excels..

Nah I meant for just illuminating a pt and for adding light during cannulation, drawing up drugs etc. We have disposable penlights for checking peepers.:duh2:

Thanks for the suggestions. Am looking at the fenex TK11, TA30, PD30 and O Light m20. Do these two companies both have comparable build quality?

cheers.

GPB

Enlightened
I don't think there is any light that can be effective at both patient care, AND search and rescue. Those 2 needs have almost no overlap of criteria. If you try to do both of those with 1 light you will have a light that sucks at both activities.

bodhran

Enlightened
Just my opinion but I think you would be happy with the PD30. It uses CR batteries but they can be bought cheaply on line. I'm a Paramedic myself and have been looking for a good flashlight for work. The ones listed below are only the latest. The one I keep going back to at work is the PD20. Another medic I work with bought the PD30 and loves it. Now the TK40 in the rig doesn't hurt..*lol*

Last edited:

hkusp9

Newly Enlightened
I wouldnt worry about getting something with a "tactical" strobe feature. Trust me, when you're about to fight some turd bag or things are going south, you're not going to have the presence of mind to triple click the end cap and twist the twistie cap to blind an opponent.

Most of the time i hit a suspect with a light its during a normal encounter. I will walk up to them with the light under my armpit and I aim it at their face for a few seconds to blind them. Then when we get within arms reach I will take it in my support hand and say something like "oh sorry sometimes that light moves when i walk with it."

When you're dealing with a combatitive person, you're not going to want to take time to play with the light.

bodhran

Enlightened
I wouldnt worry about getting something with a "tactical" strobe feature. Trust me, when you're about to fight some turd bag or things are going south, you're not going to have the presence of mind to triple click the end cap and twist the twistie cap to blind an opponent.

Most of the time i hit a suspect with a light its during a normal encounter. I will walk up to them with the light under my armpit and I aim it at their face for a few seconds to blind them. Then when we get within arms reach I will take it in my support hand and say something like "oh sorry sometimes that light moves when i walk with it."

When you're dealing with a combatitive person, you're not going to want to take time to play with the light.
Good point about the strobe and I agree. I also like the little tip...*grin*

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys,

Hi Kaiser,

Being in Australia myself, I have bought many lights from: ledtorches.com.au and have found them the cheapest with free Express Post shipping offering next day delivery!

The Fenix TK20 would be a good choice IMHO. It uses AA batteries (2). It has a nice warm tint with a high & low mode. Currently they sell for $92 AUS delivered (at the above site). - Sydney based in think.

This is a high quality light with a nice warm tint and a smooth beam - highly recommended.

Good luck with your choice,

James....:wave:

Kaiser

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies - ended up getting the Fenix PD30 for its size/brightness ratio. :)

Mdinana

Enlightened
I have to say, some of the LED lights are GREAT for checking pupils...

during "brain death" protocols. :sigh:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the Nitecore Defender Infinity, I'm sure you can get it in Australia.

It runs on AAs and AA sized li-ion batteries(14500s). Has 3 modes, high(max), user programmable mode, and a strobe (it's hard to accidentally get to strobe unless you specifically go to strobe).

:welcome:

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of the problems in australia is availability of battery types. The 14500 takes a lot of effort to get, and you most likely end up getting them from overseas, and the charger too. (2x Trustfire 14500 protected comes out under $10 AUD with free shipping)

CR123A you can find easily enough. You might be paying quite a premium for them though. They come out much cheaper from overseas too even with the horrid exchange rate, and with the free shipping.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Nitecore Defender Infinity is still pretty bright with a normal AA battery, so it might still be a good contender. The 14500 adds around 25% output from what I see in the reviews.

A CR123 light is smaller though.

Latest posts