• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired USL Buyers Notice! Check amounts please!!!

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: USL Buyers Notice!!!!

Not to worry, my payment was on for mail delivery anyway. I have had problems with the fact that I don't use PayPal--had a problem in the past with them myself (not this purchase though!).

paulr

Flashaholic

Bidpay may be no better than Paypal, since both are owned by Ebay.

Moneybookers.com is supposed to be good, though I haven't tried it yet.

Then there's American Express travellers' cheques. You can buy them at your local Amex office (they are in most big cities worldwide) and then make them out like normal checks, i.e. payable to Bill, sign them and mail them. They charge 1% over the face value. There's a slight drawback that the smallest denomination is 20 USD, so you can't send an amount like $331 (you could send $320 or $340). They also have a prepaid ATM card product that I haven't tried. You'd buy it and mail it to Bill, then after it arrives, you'd email him the PIN.

Finally you can always send cash in the mail, wrapped carefully (taped inside a greeting card is good). I do this now and then with small amounts. Doing it with $300+ would be scary, but I'd guess the chance of losing it is less than the 3% that Paypal charges, so objectively it's not crazy. It just sucks if you're in the unlucky few.

Maybe there's a Wikipedia article about this. If not, someone should write one...

PS, no refund for me here yet, and I have to leave for the day pretty soon. I'll check for the refund tonight and get a check out tomorrow if the refund has arrived.

Edit: Hmm, typing "international money order" (in quotes) into Google scores a lot of promising-looking hits, including the text ads on the side.

Fat_Tony

Enlightened

Bill, this pretty much confirms what I have heard about PayPal in the past. Which, to quote Homer Simpson, is that they are: "the suckiest bunch of sucks that ever sucked". Kudos to you for handling this setback with class, though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goodjob.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

Paulr, I understand your reservations about giving PayPal your bank account info. I had these reservations myself for many years. The one thing that I will say about PayPal is that once you give them your checking account info., it is relatively easy to de-link that account. They let you delete it without a hassle. Thanks.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast

I appreciate the support!!!

I emailed PayPal early (their instructions on how to handle it) and they have not returned my email, nor refunded anything that I can tell so far.

Bill

mst3k

Enlightened

Yep, no refund yet. So............is there any outside chance that paypal will fix this, or are we for sure getting refunds?

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

Would it help if we wrote in on your behalf? I could write them a nice email including the transaction IDs of the payments I have made, outlining the situation, and offering to vouch for you, which I would do any day.

paulr

Flashaholic

I haven't usually felt much need to give Paypal my checking account info, since I generally spend more through Paypal than I get incoming payments. But it's usually small stuff. A balance like $400 is large by my standards and it would take me a while to spend that much.

If I were doing business selling stuff regularly with Paypal, I'd open a separate checking account at a different bank and accept Paypal payments into that account, and move the money out of that account every night into my regular account. That's the recommended method, I've heard.

Fat_Tony

Enlightened

Yeah, I just checked, and no refund yet here, either. I will check again later in the day.

I'm hoping that PayPal at least has the decency to refund the fees, so that we don't have to eat those. Did they mention if they'll refund the fees, Bill?

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast

It's my understanding from my discussion with Bill last night that the fees are refunded as well.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast

Fees will be refunded, according to PayPal.

There is no appeal process, nor will anything else help.

They told me that the process of refunds would be almost immediate, so they should happen today.

And No, there is no chance they will fix it, they have made their decision and will not reconsider, so save your time and just ignore them!!

I've decided it isn't worth my time to try to fix it at this point.

I would rather trust members to send money in whatever way possible than trust them to not screw it up again!!

One thing this has done is made me realize how good the people here are compared to the rest of the business world!

I just would rather trust people here than a business run by people who are nothing but automatons!!!

Bill

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've received over 400 PM's and numerous email messages related to the USL project and not once has anyone been anything other than a class act - not once! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks Bill and Codeman. I'll do my best to find a way to get a payment to you that won't unduly inconvenience you. I take it that all USL payments now automatically qualify for the non-Paypal price. Let me know the updated amount.

If anybody has suggestions as to a good payment processor or anybody willing to take PP on Bill's behalf and write him a check or MO, that would really be appreciated. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thanks.gif

In the meantime I might just ask my bank whether they can make out a draft in US Dollars. They're a well-known bank in the US as well, so it should not be a problem.

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast

KevinL, in your case, the non-PayPal amount is $325.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

Sheesh, what a cluster*uck. How about you just sell us paper. Yes, PAPER - instructions - on how to get a free USL! Charge us the $325 (or whatever) for instructions. Ship lights later (they are "free" after all)...that would legally and technically get around their creative wording, as you would just be getting creative, too!

I see this all the time on e-bay, where they auction off "wholesale lists" or "free stuff lists" to get items cheap or even free, and you would now be doing the same... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast

There's an idea for all of us to consider.

Sell the instructions on how to properly charge, maintain and locate a light!

I'll lay low, then re-set an account to help with shipping fees only. The small amounts shouldn't trigger a problem, and then I can email and point out 70 deliveries and they can just eat it!

Bill