UT33C - Acceptable or Trash?

• Go for it.

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • It's Trash!, get a Fluke!

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

xzel87

Enlightened
Thinking of getting a multimeter that won't break the bank/burn the wallet primarily for testing and maintenance of a few li-ion batteries that I will be using.

Not many choice in stores at my location, so far cheap but okay ones I saw are the UT33C being retailed for MYR47.00 (about 14 USD). The rest are either too expensive or too cheap (Chinese knockoffs).

Therefore, it would be very much appreciated if I can get some input on this particular model, no rush in buying though at the moment.

If it means anything I'll be using efest 10440 350mah IMR, and Xtar 14500 800mah in conjunction with the Xtar MC0 charger. No 18650 at the moment because good lights that uses them are too expensive, not to. mention price of cells and good charger.:sigh:

Thanks.

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you do not neeed much out of a DMM for this task.

You will only be reading voltage and current. And basic accuracy with 3 or 4 digits is all you will need on the long run 9when you learn how to measure battery iternal resistance)

BUT one thing you got to have is the ability to read up to 10 amperes

One more thing is that yuo will have to buy aftermarket THICK cable leads. Or make your own.
Else with the original thin ones you will get eratic Current measurements
I aslo suggest choosing a set with crocodile clips you can add on the ends...you will doing a lot of work with cables

Last edited:

InHisName

Enlightened
I'm in USA and found a seller offering on eBay for $10.75 for first bid.. However most offerings are for more than $14 shipped. Sound like your seller is not over charging at all. One above mentioned needing 10A current, I see from specs that this has that. Your needs are very light and $100+ is overkill spending. This one looks tobe a bit beter than the freebee from Harbor Freight to walkins.

Here are specs I found on amazon, no reviews posted yet.
[h=2]Product Description[/h] Features:
Display Count: 2000
Manual Range: √
Diode: √
Continuity Buzzer: √
Low Battery Indication: √
Data Hold: √
LCD Backlight: √
Input Impedance for DCV: Around 10M?

Specifications:
Model: UT33C
DC Voltage (V): 200mV/2000mV/20V/200V/500V ±(0.5%+2)
AC Voltage (V): 200V/500V ±(1.2%+10)
DC Current (A): 2000?A/20mA/200mA/10A ±(1%+2)
Resistance (?): 200?/2000?/20k?/200k?/20M? ±(0.8%+2) [the ? is substuted for the "Ohms" symbol]
Temperature (°C): -40 °C ? 1000°C ±(1%+3)
Temperature (°F): -40°F?1832°F ±(1%+4)

General Characteristic:
Power: 9V 6F22 Battery (not included) [Uggh, I prefer AA batts as my eNeloops last much longer]
LCD Size: 48mm×16mm
Product Color: Red and Grey
Product Net Weight: 179g (Including Holster)
Product Size: 130mm * 73.5mm * 35mm
Package Size: 15 * 11 * 5cm / 5.9 * 4.3 * 2in
Package Weight: 270g / 9.7oz

Package list:
1 * UNI-T UT33C Palm Size Digital Multimeters
2 * Test Lead
1 * Point Contact Temperature Probe
1 * English Manual

xzel87

Enlightened
Thanks for the input, after comparing online the price seems very reasonable as well. So it does measure current up till 10A? I highly doubt the 2000A spec (must be a typo).

Anyway, will be getting this sometime next week, I've asked the shop before and they said no warranty on this thing. never bought a multimeter before but is this normal?, product seems authentic with the boxing and packaging and all.

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
Way back when I was working I kept two VOMs in my tool box, one Fluke for my use and one Radio Shack elcheapo to loan out or as a back up if the Fluke somehow got damaged. I didn't check loads with the Fluke but do have a amp meter to test components.

xzel87

Enlightened
hey guys, just wanted to give a quick update/conclusion regarding this DMM. I purchased one locally and it has been great so far. Tested against voltage of nimh as reported by my C9000, and it is usually spot on with this DMM so it's pretty accurate.

The temperature probe has also been unexpectedly useful when I'm trying to see how hot my light gets on extended turbo/high runs or when it's running li-ion. Hell, I've taken my body temperature with this under armpit and it works :whistle:

So in conclusion, for my particular personal needs and usage, a very good budget DMM.:thumbsup:

Mathilde.Longworth

Newly Enlightened
UT33C Multimeter Acceptable

I want to get a decent multimeter, but I dont want to spend a fortune. Ive bought a fair few multi meters over the years that have all been rubbish. I mostly measure stuff around 12V cars But occasionally Id like to be able to measure the mains. What should I get? Can I get something thats reasonable for around the 50 mark, or do I need to spend a bit more?Gab