UV Led for leak detection: What should I get?

maninblack

Newly Enlightened
I have looked at the peak selection of uv leds and the inova ones too. While searching I came across this light twin task uv at brightguy . Does anyone have one of these? What UV light is a good value? Keep in mind this will be a tool and may get abused somewhat.

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use 365nm lights everyday in my work for curing. I'm not sure what you're using them for, but I'm not close to ready to trust LED UV lights. I don't know of any in the proper wavelength and intensity for my purpose.

If you're using them for a commercial purpose, I would suggest paying the extra to buy them from a supplier that can certify that they're for that specific purpose.

Here on the forum most people use them for entertainment and want bright output. Funny thing is, that the closer to 365nm you get, the less VISIBLE light output you get. The more visible lights run higher wavelength.

I've got an Inova 5XT UV and it's very bright. I have no idea what wavelength it is, but I'd guess at 395nm. And I guess that most of the manufacturers use whatever is available at the time, which is my point - no consistancy - not good for a serious application.

xenopus

Newly Enlightened
If you want a white and UV combination light, we have an Automotive Edition that does that. If you need shorter wavelength, our 365nm model uses Nichia 365nm LEDs and is regulated. Application-specific guarantee means that you can get your money back if it doesn't work!

Rogue_monkey

Enlightened
I'm guessing leak detection in refridgeration. correct me if i'm wrong. but the company i work for has one for detecting leaks in refridgeration units and its a halogen bulb in a spot light like housing with a uv filter on it. It is made by a manufaturer for this specific task and works rather well. it has a lot of visible light tho. in order to get the refridgerants to light up you have to add a dye first. these dyes may be wave length specific i'm not sure tho. i went over the manual to check and the specifications didn't say anything. let me know if this is what your looking for and i can see what kind it is before i quit work on thursday.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
For leak detection in refrigeration systems, the Vector 7 and Vector 4 lights might be what you're looking for.
You inject a UV-reactive dye in the system, and then use these products to find out where the freon is leaking.
The peak wavelength appears to be right around 400nm.

maninblack

Newly Enlightened
I will be using the light to detect refrigerant leaks in all types of refrigeration systems including ice machines, air conditioners, and many types of freezers and refrigerators. There are many different types of dye, but it is all flourescent. This is the light one of my coworkers has it is a rebadged Inova X5 web page . It has 3 NUV leds and 2 blue leds. I'm going to try it out tomorrow. I also noticed that batterystation has the uv x5 on sale for $36 cpf specials page

lightnix

Enlightened
Please correct me if I'm wrong (likely), but isn't it possible to use blue LEDs for the same purpose? I've noticed several fluorescent materials glowing happily under blue LED light and I've definitely heard of blue LED torches being used for leak tracing. The main advantage is enhanced eye safety, but I don't know of any disadvantages so far.

rix

Newly Enlightened
FYI...
Found a leak detector kit on clearance in automotive dept. for $12.00 at Wallyworld. Blue led, 2 aaa bats and yellow glasses.

xenopus

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
lightnix said:
Please correct me if I'm wrong (likely), but isn't it possible to use blue LEDs for the same purpose? I've noticed several fluorescent materials glowing happily under blue LED light and I've definitely heard of blue LED torches being used for leak tracing. The main advantage is enhanced eye safety, but I don't know of any disadvantages so far.

[/ QUOTE ]''

It's true a lot of stuff can be excited under blue (at 465nm for example), but you do have lots of blue light to contend with, and if you are looking for better contrast or using dyes that are specifically reactive to shorter wavelengths (into the UV), then UV leds are probably what you want in your inspection light. Depending on the size of the engine and how bright the shop floor is while you are working for leak analysis, you might be looking several feet in relatively un-dark conditions, so the moure fluorescense you can excite, the better.
Piers