• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

v5 Triple BOSS Flashlight (Bright Output Small Size)

JohnSmith

Enlightened
[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SFUIText]
Black HA 70 from the Super Bowl drop, XPL-HI 4000K red
Satin silver 70 from the CPF WTS forum for a price that I couldn't resist, XPL RD 4500K amber
Vintage brass 70 that I resisted for maybe 3 days, XPL RD 4500K amber[/FONT]

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast
For those who have the 219c, any comments about the tint/color?
it's great, i have 2 versions and after getting over the wow factor for the redomes, i find myself using the 219c more. It's noticably less bright though... 219c in the copper can run significantly longer before heating up than my redome aluminum. It's heavy though so if I'm standing or walking etc got long time i prefer the boss 35 in aluminum.

for travel i think i will prefer the aluminum 70 due to the extended runtime and light weight.

Also there 219c has a better moonlight mode, i don't use the red led very often at all

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
I like the look of the crenelated bezel myself. However, I think it needs to be made of the same metal and have the same finish as the rest of the light.
Cren teeth experience more stress than flush so we selected steel exclusively to hold up to these uses.

I just clicked my BOSS on, and it blinked out SOS using the main white emitters
PM Sent

Is there any chance there will be any XPL HIs (preferably with an amber secondary) in the next half of the brass and copper release? After trying the XPL re-dome (4500K), 219c (4000K), and XPL HI (4000K) I'm sold on the XPL HI in the BOSS.
This year is pretty locked in, so little to no chance of HI this year. I'll see about changes for next year.

Megatrowned

Enlightened
I really like the lanyard beads! I ordered a Al one to match my boss, and I have to say, the quality is excellent!
Unfortunately, I managed to loose it today :duh2: :sigh: That's what I get for playing around and not tying it securely.
Well, off to order another...

And I can't remember if this has been asked, is Nyogel what I should use for the boss's threads/o rings?

Last edited:

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Is Nyogel what I should use for the boss's threads/o rings?
Yes, we put 760G on everything

Just placed my order for the crenelated bezels and some other stuff. Dan, any ETA on the black clips/screws for the BOSS?

I don't have an ETA for a full run of them, but I may have a few extra after the 2nd batch 7 release in the next 2 weeks.

barry

Newly Enlightened
Cren teeth experience more stress than flush so we selected steel exclusively to hold up to these uses.

Thanks for your response. After gazing for a while, I'm liking the dark crenelated bezel on the vintage copper BOSS with dark clip. Hopefully, I'll eventually be able to get one with a high output 4000K emitter and amber secondary LED.

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Update:

BOSS cren rings are ready to ship, in black and silver:
I'm hoping to pick up a BOSS from the upcoming September batch and I really like the idea of the added impact resistance/durability of the steel bezel. Will this be an option when ordering or is it possible they will all be gone before the batch goes on sale?

mk2rocco

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's my Patina BOSS from the first run. Rides in the same pocket as my keys and still looks great [emoji106]
dd89a24a89513b14598b7a9756656a22.jpg

Last edited:

JohnSmith

Enlightened
Here's my Patina BOSS from the first run. Rides in the same pocket as my keys and still looks great [emoji106]

That looks great. The patina drops all happened before I even knew the Boss existed. I have tried to make up for lost time with several other models, but I still feel like I need a Patina 70!

JohnSmith

Enlightened
Here is my copper 70

You're the guy on Facebook who won't disclose how you made the finish look like that! Best looking copper Boss in existence, even better than the new vintage copper finish in my opinion.

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're the guy on Facebook who won't disclose how you made the finish look like that! Best looking copper Boss in existence, even better than the new vintage copper finish in my opinion.

I'm not that guy obviously and I can't claim to know anything for sure, but I've got some ideas. I'd bet the whole light was darkened first using liver of sulfur. Those "low points" on the body have that telltale "dark chocolate" look that comes from sulfur exposure. Then the high points of the light were brushed lightly to remove most of that sulfur patina, maybe using something like a scotchbrite pad or fine sandpaper, but it was definitely done with care. The brush lines are very even and parallel, so if it was done freehand the modder is to be highly commended. It may have been mechanically spun somehow, like with a drill, while the scotchbrite was held lightly against the surface but I don't know that.

Here's a detail shot of a Sinner light I did very similarly, except this light started out polished so instead of brushing the high points I lightly buffed them back out, which is obviously much easier to do. But you can kinda see how the low spots keep that dark chocolate look.

8An4qqq.jpg