Very difficult NOT to love AAA's these days.

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe a bit of offtopic but I very much regret that there has not been much of development in aa/aaa drivers. The only one fully programmable one is the Calipsoii's AA driver, which seems to be not available for purchase as a separate part. Of course an infinite variable rrt-01 version for aaa/aa would be ideal, but I doubt that this kind is within reasonable reach.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Maybe a bit of offtopic but I very much regret that there has not been much of development in aa/aaa drivers. The only one fully programmable one is the Calipsoii's AA driver, which seems to be not available for purchase as a separate part. Of course an infinite variable rrt-01 version for aaa/aa would be ideal, but I doubt that this kind is within reasonable reach.

Probably because the size of the driver ends up mostly being smaller and often requiring the addition of a boost circuit and if high output is desired the inductor can get a lot larger.

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably because the size of the driver ends up mostly being smaller and often requiring the addition of a boost circuit and if high output is desired the inductor can get a lot larger.

Well, Calipsoii made one and Zebralight has some, so we know they are possible. I think it is more because of lack of motivation.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Calipsoii made one
that is a programmable 14mm driver for AA (an AAA requires 10mm).. it is not infinitely variable, and programming requires a bunch of special tools... definitely not a magnetic control UI. Zebras dont make an AAA either.

now back to AAA
The calipsoil aa project is most similar imo to the programmable AAA Manker E02, that recently went on half price sale.

they offer an AAA Titanium version w a High CRI LED too...

speaking of AAA lights I enjoy:

Changed the xp-g3 in my drop Tool to 3500k e21a, very happy about that.
Received another xp-g3 drop Tool, pending LED swap...

UPfsBK0l.jpg

Last edited:

skid00skid00

Newly Enlightened
I thought you guys were nuts...

Got my UltraTac K18 a few days ago...

...love it.

With firefly, it would replace my ZL SC52. Or programmable! OMG!

Mike89

Enlightened
For me, I have 4 and don't need or want any more.

Smallest size twisty single mode Olight i3E EOS (the one I actually carry the most),
Brightest of the bunch Olight i3T EOS.
Lumintop Tool AAA (best beam for up close working on stuff, wished it had memory like it's big brother Tool AA).
Sofirn C01S twisty two modes.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lumintop Tool AAA (best beam for up close working on stuff, wished it had memory...

fwiw, the new black aluminium aaa Tool w Tir produces an even better beam up close, and it has memory:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/v...s-these-days&p=5347195&viewfull=1#post5347195
Just picked up the more recent Tool AAA with the pebbled tir lens and I really like it. Didn't realize it had memory but am very happy that it does.

4AHq2er.png

tBiKwoW.jpg

a bit more about the Copper AAA Tools...
I bought some small tritiums for testing, along with the clear Norland glue and UV curing light mixglo sells.

I chose this size
T13 0.95x3mm Vials
so I could try both blue and green
https://www.mixglo.com/store/p124/T13_0.95x3mm_Vials.html

8j8anIkl.jpg

I can barely tell green and blue apart in the middle of the night with my glasses off... my eyes just see the blue as dimmer…

if I did it again, I would probably just order this slightly shorter green (only) version:
https://www.mixglo.com/store/p112/T0924G_0.9x2.4mm_Vials.html
on such a small size, the color is less relevant than the brightness, to me.

This is my first experience installing trits. So far, so fun…

the installation does not prevent me using the keyring hole still, though I dont use AAA lights on my keys.

Last edited:

The Hawk

Enlightened
I agree. AAA lights are great. I EDC a Lumintop Tool AAA. I keep an extra AAA battery in my pocket.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
... I EDC a Lumintop Tool AAA. I keep an extra AAA battery in my pocket.

nice
fwiw there are some battery lockers available
I wish I knew where to find them for less, but I like how well they work, price aside
8RfPzeA.jpg

but then I also like to have spare lights... as spare battery carriers.. lol

you can see the Olight is smaller than the spare battery carrier.. hmmm which to take.. ;-)
both!

PartyPete

Enlightened
At the end of every holiday season I like to play what I call "Amazon gift card roulette" and buy a new light with whatever small gift card balance I have left over. Could be $20, $40, whatever.

This year I had a hankering for a small AAA clicky....with $10 and some change. Oh and shipped free as well I considered a few twisty ones but decided to try something totally different - Aidier A8.

I'm not sure if this is an offshoot of the UltraTac brand but it appears to be a little similar to the UltraTac A7. 1x AAA with 3 modes, tail switch and max 180 lumens. Takes 10440 cells also.

I have no expectations or any idea what to expect but we'll see in a week or so.

Last edited:

Blade Protection

Newly Enlightened
I have been looking at a few of those different lights on MassDrop and was wondering if they were any good. Good to see some chatter about them in this thread so I can see some real world hands on experience of other light users with them. Gives me a bit more confidence to go ahead and grab one to give it a try.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been looking at a few of those different lights on MassDrop and was wondering if they were any good. Good to see some chatter about them in this thread so I can see some real world hands on experience of other light users with them. Gives me a bit more confidence to go ahead and grab one to give it a try.

Unfortunately the 20 dollars of for new members deal is now only good on purchases of 50+ now and on on Drop Studio items. Don't know if it'll work on multiple less than 50 items totaling 50+ dollars though.

PartyPete

Enlightened
My Aidier A8 came in the mail the other day. I'm guessing this must be a fairly new model, they aren't many reviews yet.

Similar specs to the UltraTac A7, just a different body design. Single AAA or 10440 powered, rear tail switch, 180 lumen max (with AAA). Comes with a clip, key ring, spare rings and GITD diffuser and 1 AAA cell.

Build quality appears good; threads are smooth, LED is centered etc. Typical full press for off/on and half press to cycle through the 3 modes. Unfortunately strobe is in the main mode sequence, so that might be a deal breaker to some.

Similar beam profile to the Tool, Fenix E12 etc. Medium size flood type beam with just a little throw. Cool white tint but leaning more towards the neutral end of things with just a bit of blue to it.

Very much your basic AAA light...but it does great with 10440. Comparing it with other lights I have I'm guessing it's putting out around 400+ lumen on high with a lithium cell.

I really wish strobe was hidden, it had a moonlight mode and then it would be a bit better. However being able to take 10440 in a small rear clicky light is fun nonetheless...and it's only $10 shipped.