Very difficult NOT to love AAA's these days.

nitebrite

Enlightened
For the last 5 or so years I carried a AAA Maratac and a 1.6" knife. They served me well. A few days ago I "upgraded" to custom flashlight that is 3.1"x.9 and custom knife that is 4.4"x.4"(closed) inside my pocket. I really am missing the pocket "real estate" but on the other hand enjoying my new capabilities. The jump in performance for (both) is huge. I can really feel this though being a little guy. The only reason I don't want to go back is because these are custom made. Actually, it is the knife that is very special and should get me arrested anywhere but I have concealed carry. I am very discreet anyways. I don't really "need" either of them. I might just go back. The Maratac, even though not made in USA as he says is a very nice light.

CaptainBrock

Newly Enlightened
OK, I guess someone has to love them. They are just so weak in terms of watt-hour capacity per dollar. But they do beat coin cells for the tiny lights.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I rarely use anything more than 20L for the past couple of years. AAA has plenty of life for my use. I just love that they are so small and practical to fit anywhere.

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, this thread certainly did have some legs, although it's a shame that so many great pics were lost.

Now that I'm back, I'm very interested in putting some AAA's back on the shelf. I'm sad to say, this is all I have left at this point.

34f2ca9865a309fbea74a3c3428ea9fc.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast

good call
I hope you love it as much as I do

Note:

The eSwitch arrives with a discharged capacitor.

When first inserting a battery, medium and high modes will not operate at full brightness.

It takes about 1 hour, after you insert a battery, for the medium and high modes to trigger properly.. its normal.. As long as the light has a battery inside, the switch works as intended... and this consideration becomes a non issue

re 10440,
Lumintop does not rate the eSwitch for 10440.
I do not use 10440, and recommend against it, just sharing info.

For those feeling lucky, word on the street is that the eSwitch only provides 1 mode on 10440, at Maximum Brightness. The other two lower levels start working only after the LiIon drops below 3.8v...

re pocket clip upgrade:
VpY6LZ3l.jpg

the preon 2 fully captive pocket clip is a worthy upgrade, if youre into clips, pm me for a link where to buy, if you cant google it
it only works under the tail, not under the head (unless modded)

Last edited:

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast
good call
I hope you love it as much as I do

Note:

The eSwitch arrives with a discharged capacitor.

When first inserting a battery, medium and high modes will not operate at full brightness.

It takes about 1 hour, after you insert a battery, for the medium and high modes to trigger properly.. its normal.. As long as the light has a battery inside, the switch works as intended... and this consideration becomes a non issue

re 10440,
Lumintop does not rate the eSwitch for 10440.
I do not use 10440, and recommend against it, just sharing info.

For those feeling lucky, word on the street is that the eSwitch only provides 1 mode on 10440, at Maximum Brightness. The other two lower levels start working only after the LiIon drops below 3.8v...

re pocket clip upgrade:

the preon 2 fully captive pocket clip is a worthy upgrade, if youre into clips, pm me for a link where to buy, if you cant google it
it only works under the tail, not under the head (unless modded)

Fantastic info, thank you for that, you've likely help to avoid a serious disappointment. :)

luipermom

Newly Enlightened
I'm a big fan of AAA flashlights. This are actually my three favourite flashlights from my collection. From left to right:
- Nitecore Tiki (not AAA, but lovely too)
- Olight i3E-Cu EOS
- Thrunite Ti Hi

94aa391bb462ff9d0c2905c021a38eb5o.jpg

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh I really like those Thrunites! The Ti is pretty gritty for me, even after switching to krytox (well, the Finishi Line Extreme Fluoro version). Super easy to reflow a different 3535 chip in there if the low CRI XPL doesn't do it for you (I am running a 3000k 80cri XP-L HI in mine and its pretty good). I need to swap the CW XPG2 in my Ti3/4/whatever aluminum version. Can't decide between SST-20 vs 219B vs LH351D for that one, though.

Gt390

Newly Enlightened
I don't know if the thrunite has a reflector or not. But if it does you will probably really like the sst-20 in there. I swapped one from a Sofirn c01s into a surefire titan A and it looks great.

Vemice

Enlightened
Agree on the Thrunite Ti. I bought a V2 and hated the next-mode-memory but loved the look. I decided to have Vinh completely rebuild it. It is now a programmable rocket with nice very low and very high output and his VN2 driver with a SST20 High CRI 3000K. It runs on a 10440 IMR. Currently set to 6 modes but very rarely use the higher modes. I know it sounds like more of a novelty but I do use it quite a bit.
4Yn5fdml.jpg

pappajohan

Newly Enlightened
Got bitten by the AAA bug a while back, looking to expand my collection.

What am I missing out on?

This is what i got so far, right now I'm using my Preon P1MKIII the most...
c8473b7f1f2b0b90e81f06b93b8106af.jpg

Skickat från min SM-N975F via Tapatalk

Last edited:

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was unimpressed with the size of the eiger. VERY long for a single AAA. Of course I was Ok with the not so svelte L3 L08 so I guess that doesn't help.

Vemice

Enlightened
I was unimpressed with the size of the eiger. VERY long for a single AAA. Of course I was Ok with the not so svelte L3 L08 so I guess that doesn't help.

Forgot one more Peak AAA. Probably a bit too large though. Logan 17500
CeUQmJKl.jpg