Viking / Viking Pro. Tactical lights.

SkinnyCow

Newly Enlightened
Re: Viking Pro V3 stabilization question

scs: I don't know yet :) but I don't think they need to do it because mine may be 1 of a defective few so replacing it with a good one shouldn't be a problem.

ven: I did what you suggested, cleaned all the threads. I used Q tips to clean then I used a toothpick to run through all the threads to make sure the dark scums came out. Same problem. Four flashes after 3 minutes. I notice the IMR battery drained a lot quicker than my other batteries so I won't buy IMR again.

I'm still waiting for AT's response. I also sent them emails. Does AT compensate our shipping cost and how long should I expect to receive a replacement? I'm assuming some of us on this forum has gone through this before. Thanks.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast

SkinnyCow, I'm not sure you have a bad light. It may just be the way its designed. I think mine does the same thing as you are describing. I'm doing a run time test with a data logging light meter and a light box.

OK, so after being on about 4 1/2 minutes it flashes a couple of times (not sure how many but looks to be 2 quick flashes) as its steps down to 60% of max mode. It stays there for 15 seconds or so and then jumps back up to full output. It does this repetitively throughout the entire run time with the duration that it steps down getting longer and the time it stays at full brightness shorter until the battery runs out of gas. Regulation is pretty solid......especially at the stepped down modes. Most of the time is spent at the stepped down mode.

Now as far as if this is the way its designed, I'd let ArmyTek speak up. But I have a feeling it is. The light gets real hot as would any light that puts out 1000 lumens on an XP-L or XM-L2. That is probably why you don't see any lights that stay at this level without stepping down. Mine was hot enough that it was uncomfortable to hold.

Last edited:

ArmyTek

Enlightened

Ok, here's what I found:

1. Weitta 2400mAh protected low discharge rate: after 1 min 46 sec: 2 flashes, output dropped to high
2. NCR18650B 3400mAh unprotected: after 3 min 35 sec: 4 flashes, output dropped to high
3. Olight 3400 3400mAh protected: after 3 min 36 sec: 4 flashes, output dropped to high
4. EagleTac 3400mAh protected: after 2 min 59 sec: 4 flashes, output dropped to high

Now the new KeepPower IMR 3200mAh at 10A continuous discharge rate: after 4 minutes, 4 flashes and output dropped to high. There is no way for this kind of light to drain the high drain li-ion IMR like this. You can look at its specs here: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U2JJ8FC/?tag=cpf0b6-20 and here http://keeppower.com.cn/products_detail.php?id=490

All of the above batteries work with the Barracuda V2 at max. No flashing.

So, this light is defective. I still like the Viking model so I'm requesting an exchange with another one that works. I would need the replacement being tested before it's sent out so we won't have to go through this again. I would also like to know what type of battery was used to test it. I'm willing to spend another $20 for that battery if it works with the Viking Pro.

I will report the progress here as soon as I have updates.

Could armytek have some technical people to read this thread and decide if anything I could do further to troubleshoot the problem? If not, please issue an RMA for an exchange and please test the replacement.

It is a real defect and it doesn`t depend on battery type. Please contact [email protected] for replacement.

ArmyTek

Enlightened

scs: I don't know yet :) but I don't think they need to do it because mine may be 1 of a defective few so replacing it with a good one shouldn't be a problem.

ven: I did what you suggested, cleaned all the threads. I used Q tips to clean then I used a toothpick to run through all the threads to make sure the dark scums came out. Same problem. Four flashes after 3 minutes. I notice the IMR battery drained a lot quicker than my other batteries so I won't buy IMR again.

I'm still waiting for AT's response. I also sent them emails. Does AT compensate our shipping cost and how long should I expect to receive a replacement? I'm assuming some of us on this forum has gone through this before. Thanks.

Don`t worry, service manager will provide you with all information.

SkinnyCow

Newly Enlightened

ArmyTek: Thank you! I got email from armytek today giving me an ok to exchange the light with detail instructions. I'm going to ship it back tomorrow.

hiuintahs: As ArmyTek's rep here confirmed, our lights are defected. So you have the same problem as I do.

Who else has Viking Pro v3 without the issues we described?

Now since another user has the same problem, I'm worried about exchanging a bad one for another bad one! Is there anyway armytek could test my replacement to make sure it works before they ship it? I know I can request but how does Armytek enforce it? I do not want to get another defected light. It's bad for both Armytek and myself since we'll all lose money to the shipping company.

Last edited:

ArmyTek

Enlightened

ArmyTek: Thank you! I got email from armytek today giving me an ok to exchange the light with detail instructions. I'm going to ship it back tomorrow.

hiuintahs: As ArmyTek's rep here confirmed, our lights are defected. So you have the same problem as I do.

Now since another user has the same problem, I'm worried about exchanging a bad one for another bad one! Is there anyway armytek could test my replacement to make sure it works before they ship it? I know I can request but how does Armytek enforce it? I do not want to get another defected light. It's bad for both Armytek and myself since we'll all lose money to the shipping company.

You are welcome.

I have contacted Sandra - we test flashlights before shipping. We will inform packing department to test your replacement too to make sure it works good. :)

mdocod

Flashaholic

My Viking Pro V3 Warm does NOT have the behavior that you and hiuintahs have described.

For the most part, mine runs continuously on max mode as long as the battery can sustain a certain voltage under load. I'm not sure where the transition to the lower output mode occurs precisely, however, there are certainly some limits to being able to use Max mode, especially if the battery is cold and not fully charged. Maintaining max mode on my Viking Pro is dependent on the cycle of heat from the flashlight warming the battery to "excite" the chemical reaction in the battery. If the flashlight starts off very cold, it is not likely to be able to "fire up" maximum mode at all. At room temp though, it seems to have no problems as long as the battery is over ~30% SOC (guessing on that figure, I would have to do some more testing to figure that out specifically). .

You guys seem to be experiencing a different problem, as normally, after 3-4 minutes of running, the HEAT generated by maximum mode should actually help get the cell warm enough to be able to hold good high voltage under a load for the duration of the discharge. In fact, if left on too long, mine will get TOO hot for comfort. Seems like perhaps you guys have a "defect" that is cutting off the flashlight prematurely due to temp, while mine, so far as I can tell, doesn't appear to do anything to prevent over-heating.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast

Would it be appropriate to post a run time chart in this forum? That is the best way to show what is going on. I'm starting to worry I may have an issue on my Viking Pro V3 running max mode if its not behaving as it was designed. It's like its behaving how the non-pro version is stated to work. I will say it gets real hot and I just assumed it was designed to drop down to a lower mode. The first drop down is between 4 and 5 minutes of constant on. This was with a fully charged Panasonic NCR18650B battery. I can retry with a different battery but all of my batteries (even the ones that are protected) use NCR18650B's.

ArmyTek

Enlightened

Would it be appropriate to post a run time chart in this forum? That is the best way to show what is going on. I'm starting to worry I may have an issue on my Viking Pro V3 running max mode if its not behaving as it was designed. It's like its behaving how the non-pro version is stated to work. I will say it gets real hot and I just assumed it was designed to drop down to a lower mode. The first drop down is between 4 and 5 minutes of constant on. This was with a fully charged Panasonic NCR18650B battery. I can retry with a different battery but all of my batteries (even the ones that are protected) use NCR18650B's.

It is a defect. Does it drop down and than rise?

Friends, describe the whole problem to [email protected].

Last edited:

SkinnyCow

Newly Enlightened

I shipped my light to China eight days ago but haven't got a tracking yet. I asked and Sandra told me they may ship my replacement this Saturday. If they do, it would be 12 days after you ship your return. How long it will take until I receive it is unknown. I hope it won't take 2 more weeks which will total to over 1 month.

I did ask if I could exchange for the Predator Pro v3 since I'm not confident in the Viking Pro after hiuintahs described his similar problem. I also gave them instruction of tightening the head and turn the light on for 10 min. If the light flashes, choose another one. Sandra ensured me that they would test the light before shipping it out.

I'll follow through and continue posting updates of the Exchange Process with Armytek. Stay tune.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast

......I did ask if I could exchange for the Predator Pro v3 since I'm not confident in the Viking Pro after hiuintahs described his similar problem. I also gave them instruction of tightening the head and turn the light on for 10 min...........
I found out that mine is functioning as it's designed. For further info, you might want to check in on the LED forum where I post a run time chart.

The point is that trying to hold a constant max output of these levels makes the light pretty warm (hot). I believe ArmyTek has a thermal feedback to the driver and thus it steps down until it cools and then goes back to max mode. The U.S. dealer I bought from did a test on one at the store and it did the same thing. I put a fan on mine and it could hold constant output........but you have to get the heat out some way. Perhaps by holding it in your hand that will help. I think its a good design with built in saftey feature...........It's either that or you step down permanently (ie: Fenix PD35) or you have a big light with heatsink mass. If you're operating in cold temperature or the heat is being absorbed into your hand you will get longer run time before step down. I admit, I wouldn't use a 18650 light running full output continuously. I think it would make more sense to drop to the highest level in the "head loosened" mode for that. That level is still pretty bright and has good regulation and a longer run time.

Note that nobody really maintains a constant output on max when you're talking about 10 watts of heat. The Fenix PD35 steps down twice. The ET S200C which is similar to the Viking has a gradual decay. The Nitecore SRT6 steps down. It seems no one can hold a constant output and I think the answer is.........it gets hot and can damage the LED or electronics. It's the physics of the situation. The confusing part for me was the term "Full Stabilization". That confused me into thinking full regulation. I don't think you can reliably do it unless you have a lot of heatsink (big flashlight). The other thing I found out is the Viking is made of tough aircraft aluminum with carbon.....very light and also very conductive of heat...........at least that is what I was told.

I like the Viking Pro V3 a lot more than I like the EagleTac S200C2. I wanted a lightweight 18650 thrower with the ability to have some low modes. I am more happy now that I understand what is going on.

Best of luck with what happens. And I'd be interested to know what the new light does.............but don't be surprised if the new one works like the old one does...............otherwise, I might have to eat crow with what I've said .

SkinnyCow

Newly Enlightened

hiuintahs, the Armytek rep. on this thread confirmed that yours was also defected. mdocod stated "My Viking Pro V3 Warm does NOT have the behavior that you and hiuintahs have described." so his Viking Pro V3 works like my Barracuda V2-this is good news :)

The flash light is not "constant brightness..." if it drops the output after 3 minutes(on mine)...even my smaller size EagleTac t200c2 doesn't drop like that. It seems your dealers has bad inventory as well. If the new one flashes again, then it'll also be defected and I WILL exchange it until I get a working one as advertised.

I did read your thread in the LED forum. Thanks for sharing the test results.

SkinnyCow

Newly Enlightened

I didn't have a chance to post but I got a tracking number for my Viking Pro V2 replacement last week. I should receive it within 2 weeks.

By the way, armytek shipped me a replacement box for my broken box (during shipping) of the Barracuda v2 free of charge. I received it a little over 2 weeks after I got the tracking number so I figure it'd take around the same amount of time for my Viking to arrive.

rfl

Newly Enlightened

I didn't have a chance to post but I got a tracking number for my Viking Pro V2 replacement last week. I should receive it within 2 weeks.

Please let us know how the replacement behaves.

JimTokle

Newly Enlightened
I just got my Viking V3, and I'm trying to remove the strobe, but it's not working. The video linked on the first page of the thread appears to have been deleted, and I can't find any other mentions of it.

Is there a trick to it other than the light being turned on? I've tried different speeds of twisting the head, and still no luck. It's really driving me crazy having to cycle through the strobe.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got my Viking V3, and I'm trying to remove the strobe, but it's not working. The video linked on the first page of the thread appears to have been deleted, and I can't find any other mentions of it.
Is there a trick to it other than the light being turned on? I've tried different speeds of twisting the head, and still no luck. It's really driving me crazy having to cycle through the strobe.
You can download the manual here.
http://www.armytek.com/products/fla...k-viking-pro-xm-l2-variable-bezel-colors.html

1. If the head of the flashlight is tightened up (Maximum),
unscrew and tighten up the head of the flashlight quickly 3 times.

2. If the head of the flashlight is unscrewed (Additional), tighten
up and unscrew the head of the flashlight quickly 3 times.

That worked for me. Give it another try.

JimTokle

Newly Enlightened
I appreciate your help, but I'd already read the manual and tried that (many times). I actually ordered a Viking Pro as well, and just received it. I was able to immediately enable firefly 1 and strobe, as they were disabled by default. Do you have the regular or the pro? I'm wondering if maybe the manual for the regular is wrong, and strobe can't be disabled. If that's not the case, then my regular Viking may be defective.

It's honestly not a huge deal. I decided that I wanted the pro almost immediately after ordering the regular. I'm thinking that it's going to be a birthday gift for my grandma, who was amazed by my PD35 last month on vacation. She'll probably only be using it on max anyways.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the pro. From what I've read you're suppose to be able to disable the strobe on the regular mode too. If you can enable and disable the pro version without problem and you do the same thing on the regular model, then my guess is that something is wrong with your regular model.

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
that YT video is crazy. Max mode really does seem like 250 lumens. The other modes are brighter. I want a Viking Pro V3 so bad I love the AT UI and the Pros extra modes and stabilization but am under the impression that many bad drivers made it into the new AT range of lights to buy one. I feel lucky enough to have properly operating PP LE HI and DP LE HI...