Viking / Viking Pro. Tactical lights.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Viking/Viking Pro. Tactical flashlights

That sample shown in the video, the switch appears "mushy," unlike the crisp tail switches of most Fenix and Eagletac lights. Are Armytek tail switches typically like that? Thanks.

ArmyTek

Enlightened

That sample shown in the video, the switch appears "mushy," unlike the crisp tail switches of most Fenix and Eagletac lights. Are Armytek tail switches typically like that? Thanks.

Yes, in previous versions we had more stiff switches. But we received a lot of customers`complaints that it was rather hard for them to switch it. So we decided to experiment and make a switch more "soft". :)

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi, I am in need of a new flashlight and sad to say, I haven't tried an ArmyTek yet. I'm interested in the Viking V3 so I studied the specs on both the Pro and Non-Pro versions in order to determine which one I'd like. As far as I can tell the difference is that:

1) The Pro version has an additional firefly mode of 0.2 lumens whereas the Non-Pro does not.
2) And the Pro version has full stabilization of constant brightness in all modes, whereas the Non-Pro has full in all modes except in the Max mode.

Two questions:
1) So I take it that constant output (current) regulation is the same for both the Pro and the Non-Pro in all modes except the max mode on the Non-Pro which has some type of tapered output over time or has some type of step-down after so much time being on. I'd be curious to know what goes on here? Most of the time I just use "Max" mode with a momentary push of the tail cap button anyhow and so the Non-Pro might suite me just fine if every thing else is the same. I really don't care for any low modes below 2 lumens either so the Non-Pro might be a good fit for me.

2) I see that the lights come with memory such that if you are in the head loosened (additional modes) operation that the light will remember the last mode it was in when you turn it back on. Now the question is, if you go over to head tightened "Max" mode and you use the momentary push of the tail cap button several times, are you inadvertently changing the modes for when you go back to head loosened operation?

The Jetbeam PA10 works like this and its memory changes every time a momentary push of the tail cap button takes place regardless of whether you are in head tightened (Max) mode or not. Just curious and hoping that doesn't happen with the Viking.

Now waiting to see if there are any Memorial Day coupons! :D

ArmyTek

Enlightened

Hi, hiuintahs ! You are welcome!

Thank you for your interest to Armytek and a decision to choose one of our flashlights! Sure, you will find a suitable version for you according to specifications.

1. Yes in this case Regular version is suitable for you.
2. No, we have other electronics than Jetbeam.
If the head is tightened - you can`t change the modes.
When the head of flashlight is tightened even fast pressing of a button will not change the mode into Additional. Additional modes are changing only while the head is unscrewed.
I.e. if you choose one of additional modes and then tighten the head and choose Max mode - while unscrewing the head you will get the mode you have used least.
If the head is unscrewed, quick momentary pressing will change modes - it must pass 5 seconds. If you turn off the flashlight while the head is unscrewed and turn it on in 5 seconds - the flashlight will in the mode, in which it was turned off.

mdocod

Flashaholic

The 5 second delay before a mode is memorized, is abnormally and unnecessarily long and awkward. I notice this long delay on both the Viking and Partner, and now see this is "working as intended."

The switch from mode-change to mode-memory in the off position should take place within about 1 second. Anything beyond that 1 second of "off" should treat the previously selected mode as a "remembered" mode.

velvetant

Newly Enlightened

Is it okay to use the newer 4.35v 18650 batteries in the Armytek Viking Pro v3?
Never mind, I just remembered it can use 2 CR123 batteries so yes it will handle them

Last edited:

ArmyTek

Enlightened

Is it okay to use the newer 4.35v 18650 batteries in the Armytek Viking Pro v3?
Never mind, I just remembered it can use 2 CR123 batteries so yes it will handle them

Yes, you can use it. Max voltage allowed is noted on flashlight`s head.

Last edited:

rfl

Newly Enlightened

The 5 second delay before a mode is memorized, is abnormally and unnecessarily long and awkward. I notice this long delay on both the Viking and Partner, and now see this is "working as intended."

The switch from mode-change to mode-memory in the off position should take place within about 1 second. Anything beyond that 1 second of "off" should treat the previously selected mode as a "remembered" mode.

I agree 100%. 5 seconds is too long. It makes the use of momentary mode awkward because you risk advancing the modes unintentionally. 1 second would be just right. There is a lot that I like about Armytek flashlights, but their UIs have significant flaws.

BTW, I'm curious about the new UI on the Partner (and Viking v3). Will half presses advance the modes when the flashlight is ON?

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast

I agree 100%. 5 seconds is too long. It makes the use of momentary mode awkward because you risk advancing the modes unintentionally. 1 second would be just right. There is a lot that I like about Armytek flashlights, but their UIs have significant flaws.

BTW, I'm curious about the new UI on the Partner (and Viking v3). Will half presses advance the modes when the flashlight is ON?

Unless you routinely use momentary activation on the lower modes (with the head loosened) you will not have problems. With the head tightened, the light stays on max no matter how you press the switch. Nonetheless, 5 seconds is too long.

Lumencrazy

Enlightened

I will never get rid of my Viking Pro V2.5. You can twist the head as fast or as slow as you want. Very convenient when you need to get back to a firefly mode from a higher setting. Place the palm of your hand over the flashlight head, and as you switch through the modes you can see what you are doing by the faint light transmitted through your skin. You can get through 3-5 settings in under a couple of seconds while still preseving your night vision even in the darkest environment. Also, never fully advertised, or reviewed, was their white glass diffuser lens. Optically the best diffuser in the industry! At the lowest 0.1 lumen setting, with the diffuser on the light, you can see everything you need as you walk around your campsite (in the Oregon wilderness) in the dark, while still preserving all of your night vision. I am not afraid of the dark so I see no need too "PIERCE THE DARKNESS" with 1000 lumens (2000 next year and 3000 the year after) and then have to wait for up to 30 min to regain all of your night vision (darkness has its own beauty especially when the stars are out). After one week of camping, using this light mainly at the 0.1 and 0.5 lm settings my battery was still at 4.0 volts. For me, the Viking Pro (Warm White) V2.5 was Armytek's pinnacle achievement (probably their most expensive series to make) and the most original and practical flashlight in the industry (I bought some extras) and bomb proof (for driving nails I use a hammer). I hope Armytek makes the same glass diffuser for the new v3 models. If they do I would encourage everyone to check it out and enjoy the wilderness without searing your retinas and broadcasting your presence.

Last edited:

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast

I got my Viking Pro V3 today and the first thing I did was reprogram out the firefly1 and strobe. Very simple to go between programming them in or out. I prefer not to use them so glad that was an option.

2nd thing I did was check what the delay before mode memorizing and I will say that it is memorized before 2 seconds. Not sure where the exact time is, but I did a few stop watch checks and I was in memorized mode at 1.99 seconds, 1.82 seconds, 1.55 seconds. Around 1.20 seconds and under it advances to the next mode. Of course my response time between one hand on the stop watch and the flashlight is going to give a little error. But mine seems to work how you guys would want it.

I think the tint on mine is closer to a 6000k or higher. Not green or blue. If anything a hint of red. From some of the LED's I've purchased in the past, I'd have to guess that this might could be a 1D or 1C.......but those are guesses. I'm not really a warm tint guy so I guess I'm OK with it. Now to wait until it gets dark. This is my tightest spot beam light that I own.

SkinnyCow

Newly Enlightened
Viking Pro V3 stabilization question

I just received the Armytek Viking Pro v3. The manual and the website indicate that brightness is Stabilization of constant brightness regardless of frost and low battery voltage in all modes. However, my Viking Pro brightness drops to high after 3 minutes. It flashes 3 times before the drops and about 20 seconds later, it changes to Max then drops again. This endless cycle of back and forth drive me nut. I changed to different batteries to no avai. I'm using both 18650 button top and flat top 3400 mAh to test. The battery brands are Panasonic NCR18650B Japan and Olight 3400 mAh.

Is this flashlight defective or I can program it to switch to full stabilization. As far as I know, there is no programmable feature in V3 pro model. It must be defective because both the manual and the website states constant brightness regardless of frost and low battery.

Thanks for your help.

ven

Flashaholic
Re: Viking Pro V3 stabilization question

Have you made sure threads are all spotless first,head and tail!just a thought:)

ArmyTek

Enlightened

Good day!

Friends, please post your questions in appropriate threads. :)

I just received the Armytek Viking Pro v3. The manual and the website indicate that brightness is Stabilization of constant brightness regardless of frost and low battery voltage in all modes. However, my Viking Pro brightness drops to high after 3 minutes. It flashes 3 times before the drops and about 20 seconds later, it changes to Max then drops again. This endless cycle of back and forth drive me nut. I changed to different batteries to no avai. I'm using both 18650 button top and flat top 3400 mAh to test. The battery brands are Panasonic NCR18650B Japan and Olight 3400 mAh.

Is this flashlight defective or I can program it to switch to full stabilization. As far as I know, there is no programmable feature in V3 pro model. It must be defective because both the manual and the website states constant brightness regardless of frost and low battery.

Thanks for your help.

Hello!

I have send your information to our head manager. Wait please, I will necessarily answer your questions soon. :)

SkinnyCow

Newly Enlightened

Good day!

Friends, please post your questions in appropriate threads. :)

Hello!

I have send your information to our head manager. Wait please, I will necessarily answer your questions soon. :)

Thank you, I'm waiting for your response. I do NOT want to send the light back if I could fix it. I like the Viking Pro, both look and how it operates. I also bought the Barracuda V2 and the Partner V2. Both are great lights. The Barracuda V2 works flawlessly at max output so I'm a little disappointed on the Viking Pro. But again, if I could fix it, I'll buy Armytek again.

SkinnyCow

Newly Enlightened

I'm not sure if batteries plays any role here because I tried button top EagleTac 3400mAh, Olight 3400mAh, and flat top NCR28650B 3400mAh. The Viking pro flashes repeatedly when using EagleTac half full. It flashes 4 times when using other fully charged batteries after less than 3 minutes. I loosen the head then tighten it right away, it gives out max output but flashes 4 times then drops quickly again. Could heat also cause this? Funny the Barracuda V2 works perfectly with EagleTac 3400mAh at max output for longer than 10 minutes.

So, I'm going to order a pair of high drain IMR batteries to test it. This is the battery I'm ordering: KeepPower IMR 18650 battery 3200mAh 3.7V maximum 20A discharge. The continuous discharge rate is 10Amp which should be plenty. This test will rule out the battery issue. I'm hoping the IMR battery will fix it.

What battery do you recommend to use with the Viking Pro? More precisely, what continuous discharge rate should work with it?

Last edited:

SkinnyCow

Newly Enlightened

Ok, here's what I found:

1. Weitta 2400mAh protected low discharge rate: after 1 min 46 sec: 2 flashes, output dropped to high
2. NCR18650B 3400mAh unprotected: after 3 min 35 sec: 4 flashes, output dropped to high
3. Olight 3400 3400mAh protected: after 3 min 36 sec: 4 flashes, output dropped to high
4. EagleTac 3400mAh protected: after 2 min 59 sec: 4 flashes, output dropped to high

Now the new KeepPower IMR 3200mAh at 10A continuous discharge rate: after 4 minutes, 4 flashes and output dropped to high. There is no way for this kind of light to drain the high drain li-ion IMR like this. You can look at its specs here: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U2JJ8FC/?tag=cpf0b6-20 and here http://keeppower.com.cn/products_detail.php?id=490

All of the above batteries work with the Barracuda V2 at max. No flashing.

So, this light is defective. I still like the Viking model so I'm requesting an exchange with another one that works. I would need the replacement being tested before it's sent out so we won't have to go through this again. I would also like to know what type of battery was used to test it. I'm willing to spend another $20 for that battery if it works with the Viking Pro.

I will report the progress here as soon as I have updates.

Could armytek have some technical people to read this thread and decide if anything I could do further to troubleshoot the problem? If not, please issue an RMA for an exchange and please test the replacement.

Last edited:

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ok, here's what I found:

1. Weitta 2400mAh protected low discharge rate: after 1 min 46 sec: 2 flashes, output dropped to high
2. NCR18650B 3400mAh unprotected: after 3 min 35 sec: 4 flashes, output dropped to high
3. Olight 3400 3400mAh protected: after 3 min 36 sec: 4 flashes, output dropped to high
4. EagleTac 3400mAh protected: after 2 min 59 sec: 4 flashes, output dropped to high

Now the new KeepPower IMR 3200mAh at 10A continuous discharge rate: after 4 minutes, 4 flashes and output dropped to high. There is no way for this kind of light to drain the high drain li-ion IMR like this. You can look at its specs here: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U2JJ8FC/?tag=cpf0b6-20 and here http://keeppower.com.cn/products_detail.php?id=490

All of the above batteries work with the Barracuda V2 at max. No flashing.

So, this light is defective. I still like the Viking model so I'm requesting an exchange with another one that works. I would need the replacement being tested before it's sent out so we won't have to go through this again. I would also like to know what type of battery was used to test it. I'm willing to spend another $20 for that battery if it works with the Viking Pro.

I will report the progress here as soon as I have updates.

Could armytek have some technical people to read this thread and decide if anything I could do further to troubleshoot the problem? If not, please issue an RMA for an exchange and please test the replacement.

Hope AT takes care of you.
Just a hypothetical scenario, what if the replacement exhibited the same behavior, and AT asserted that the light had been tested as you had requested before it was shipped. What then?

ven

Flashaholic

I cant see an IMR cell etc making a difference as its not a high Amp demanding light,mine will run on unprotected. protected(right now its on a 3000mah protected purple samsung to stop rattle with the shorter unprotected cells). Just re-read and tested same as others...

Have you made sure all the threads are spotless,use Q tips for example(ear buds in the UK) .

Good luck,hopefully they will send a light out at same time to reduce the ridiculous wait times of sending to China. Unless bought from a local dealer or in the same country,this plays a very useful/convenient part come any issues.

Good luck