• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

vinhnguyen54 SST-90 P60 Drop in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glenn7

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll take one thanks:

Burnt in to the max!
SMO reflector - really wish you could do a D36 drop in for my Tnc 26650 host for better throw and heat sink :D
Thinking dedomed for best throw?

let me know how much with post and I'll send PP ASAP.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Beam Shots!!!!!!!!! ;-)

TN11 - A very nice flashlight with a balance of good throw and flood.
TN11.jpg

My 4.2A DD with smooth reflector, throw less but with more OTF lumen.
DDReflector.jpg

My 4.2A DD diffused for 100% flood
XMLDDDiffused.jpg

6A Burn in P60 SST-90 with OP reflector and massive flood
SST90.jpg

Yes the SST-90 is brighter than the XML. But ultimately it boils down to weather you like massive flood or flood and throw...For me I just like lumen! LOL

Last edited:

bugsy714

Flashlight Enthusiast
soon my friend, very soon! can't wait to see how that sst90 screams!!!

texas cop

Enlightened
I look forward to seeing this drop in come to fruit. As far as I've seen yours is running the highest amp's than any other drop in this size. What do you think the realistic run time will be before heat becomes an issue?

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
I look forward to seeing this drop in come to fruit. As far as I've seen yours is running the highest amp's than any other drop in this size. What do you think the realistic run time will be before heat becomes an issue?

I am still waiting for a 26650 host to arrive to test heat vs lumen stability before I start production :)

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
OK... Testings is mostly completed..

In a P60 set up with a FM Cooly 26650 host the most suitable current would be around 5A. This mean burn in the SST-90 but not too much. Originally, most SST-90 pull about 3.5A-4.5A. For any current greater than 5A the LED would be too hot for it's own safety. I tested a 5A SST-90 in the cooly and it got the host hot after 5 minutes. This is of course with very tightly wrap aluminum adhesive too. You cant really do aluminum foil in the the Cooly. So at 5A the SST-90 it is not that much brighter than a XML at 4A. The difference is really in the much more floody beam that someone might prefer. This same drop in pull around 4A on 18650 so its a bit less bright. 18650 host however cant handle burst of more than 3 minutes due to heat.

So, is this drop in worth having in a P60 format? I would say no since its not that much brighter than an XML but with greater heat. If you like a nice a floody beam though then the drop in is great. Due to the reasons above I will only build this drop in as a special custom order. Which mean I will only order parts as someone place an order and send the funds. This mean your drop in wont be shipped for about 2 weeks after the date of order.

The price will be $65 Per Drop in. All will get solder filled, Direct Drive and OP reflector. A regulated version wont be available for now.

Last edited:

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Laying aside all heat issues with this module, Im still interested in it. What is the actual OTF lumen gain with the SST90 over the XML U2 with a 18650 host as that is what I will be using. How does the overall beam quality of this module compare to the XML modules? Are there rings or a slight donut effect or yellow center in the hotspot? I guess you could call me a whitewall beam snob. If the hotspot is a nice white and full with no bad rings in the spill, and the tint shift across the beam is not extreme like the XML can be, I will want one.

Last edited:

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Laying aside all heat issues with this module, Im still interested in it. What is the actual OTF lumen gain with the SST90 over the XML U2 with a 18650 host as that is what I will be using. How does the overall beam quality of this module compare to the XML modules? Are there rings or a slight donut effect or yellow center in the hotspot? I guess you could call me a whitewall beam snob. If the hotspot is a nice white and full with no bad rings in the spill, and the tint shift across the beam is not extreme like the XML can be, I will want one.

PM Sent!

Status
Not open for further replies.