• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired VIP Drivers for sale

lmcmann

Newly Enlightened
I just finished putting together one for my FF2. I have some pics, but I've never posted any here on the boards. If someone wants to let me know how to do it, I'd be happy to put'em up. I made a custom fit heatsink out of 1/8" copper, ground down the 750ma driver to fit and soldered it up. Very, very nice.

Larry

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
George, my order arrived safe and sound over the weekend.

Now the fun begins, thanks for making these available, George and Charlie. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Minjin said:
George, I believe I read elsewhere that you have no intention of selling LH drivers. Seeing the popularity of these, will you consider changing your mind? And maybe an upscaled version designed for 5ws? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Mark

[/ QUOTE ]

All the LH drivers are in Charlie's hands and in or soon to be in the actual LH's.

Unlike the VIP drives that I made an excess of versus VIP lights, just enough LH drivers were made for LH's.

I do have a very small and (not anymore) secret stash of LH drivers but they are purely as spares in case anyone has a failure down the line.

And, if I did decide to sell LH style drivers they would have to contain new firmware so as to not compete with the LH or Charlie would have to bless selling them with the LH code.

Besides, I'm busy working on a couple of new drivers right now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

On the VIP driver side, good to hear a few folk have put them to good use.

I now have an Aleph single 123 powered by a VIP driver (set to 500mA) with a TWAK. Good output and decent runtime.

george.

Leow

Newly Enlightened
My driver's powering an XM3 @ 1 Amp - I think I get circa 55 mins run time (before flashing sets in) with 2.4Ah NiMHs.
It draws around 1.7 A from the cells.

Hmmm, now to figure how to integrate a switch to dim it....

LeoW

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
photon555 said:
George, would the 750 mA board do well with two alkaline D cells driving a Lux III?

[/ QUOTE ]

Alkaline D's might be ok - since their internal resistance is a lot lower than AA. AA's definitely wouldn't hack the pace.

That said, I've never tried D's to see if they do indeed work well...

george.

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
lmcmann said:
I just finished putting together one for my FF2. I have some pics, but I've never posted any here on the boards. If someone wants to let me know how to do it, I'd be happy to put'em up. I made a custom fit heatsink out of 1/8" copper, ground down the 750ma driver to fit and soldered it up. Very, very nice.

Larry

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, we definitely want to see. Please post info and pictures in a new thread.

On a side note, I thought the advantage of these drivers (didn't really look hard at the specs) was that they were adjustable like the VIP. If thats the case, why would you use them without a switch, i.e. in a sandwich application?

Oh, and George, I pretty much figured all of that. I just thought I'd say something so you realize that there IS interest...

Mark

ledaholic

Enlightened
I'm driving a LuxIII @ 1A with 2 D cell's. I tried it with alkaline and nicad's both with no apparent problems. The emitter is mounted on a "O" sink.

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
ledaholic said:
I'm driving a LuxIII @ 1A with 2 D cell's. I tried it with alkaline and nicad's both with no apparent problems. The emitter is mounted on a "O" sink.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ledaholic. I want to try exactly the same combination ( VIP 1000ma driver, 2D batteries, and a 'hotlips' sink.

I have a choice of K or L bin Lux III. Any comments on which would be better.

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see that there are still 750 mA boards available. I think I'd be interested in purchasing one. Still considering it, at this point, though. Trying to decide what I could fit it in. Thanks!

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Anglepoise said:
... I have a choice of K or L bin Lux III. Any comments on which would be better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Regarding runtime in regulation K would be better than L. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

SnowplowTortoise

Newly Enlightened
Hi George. It's time someone resuscitate this thread. I'm in for two of the 1000mA versions. How do I pay?

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Try emailing George. Go to his profile and get his email address. He may not be monitoring CPF. Also, go to his homepage for his business, in profile.

Bill

SnowplowTortoise

Newly Enlightened
Got the boards today. Thanks George!

One question: at what point does the LED begin flashing? Mine flashes when powered by two reasonably new D alkalines (~1.4V ea.). Is that normal?

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
One question: at what point does the LED begin flashing? Mine flashes when powered by two reasonably new D alkalines (~1.4V ea.). Is that normal?

The 1000mA verson should be used with NIMH cells, the voltage of alkaline cells will sag too much under load.

Later
Kelly

SnowplowTortoise

Newly Enlightened
Indeed. I got the same message from George earlier today. Unfortunately, I have since tried 2xC NiMh cells with only marginally better results (strobing after ~15 seconds!) George also suggested the use of an electrical contact enhancer to reduce resistance at the battery contacts. Honestly, I'm a bit skeptical that the only non-soldered connections in the test circuit (no switch) could be so bad as to render two C cells measuring 1.4V inadequate. But then again, I'm not that kind of engineer - what the hell do I know about electrical contact resistance. I'm going to give it a shot whenever my DeoxIT arrives.

-Craig

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I have two VIP flashlights, and the high level on one is set to 1 amp to the led. I run two AA Nimh's and do not notice any flickering until the voltage of the two cells reaches around 2.4 voltsj, no load. There is some serious draw from the batteries, better than 2 amps.

I suggest that your two C NiMh's should be able to run your 1 amp VIP circuit for some time without flickering. There is some other problem here, and I am not sure it is the circuit. Do you have good heatsinking? Please describe your setup.

Bill

SnowplowTortoise

Newly Enlightened
Bill,
The VIP is wired directly to a SSC P4 U-bin star from DX using 24 gage 1' long multistrand wires. The star is clamped down to a very large aluminum 1/2" thick plate with some thermal grease in between. I connected the leads from the VIP to the batteries with similar wire - just holding the ends against the battery contacts.

I used a set of fully-charged NiMh C cells and took some measurements as soon as it started strobing (after about 15 seconds).
- Each battery measures ~1.39V.
- The voltage at the VIP inputs was ~2.63V.
- The voltage across the LED was ~3.40V.

I don't think the problem is heatsinking of the LED. It's not even warm when the strobing begins. The VIP, however, is roasting. Could it be some sort of very minor short circuit I may have caused in soldering the leads to the board? Maybe I could take some close-up photos of that for public inspection.