Walt175

jdriller

Flashlight Enthusiast
I spoke to Walt many a time at several Photon Fests. He would always share his lights and knowledge with all who asked. He was becoming a master at moding small lights into much better lights. Much like how you felt after speaking to him, much better and much brighter.

My best to Walt and his family. It will always be "his seat". I know he went into the light.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Luxlover asked me to post these photos of Walt at various PhotonFests...

PF6...

img-luxlover-walt175-pf06.jpg

PF7...

img-luxlover-walt175-pf07.jpg

PF9...

img-luxlover-walt175-pf09.jpg

PF10...

img-luxlover-walt175-pf10.jpg

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, that's really sad, his last activity here was on the 15th too, the day he passed away.

My condolences to his family.

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's sad to lose a great member of our group. Walt will be missed. My condolences to his family.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I agree with all of the above...it's sad to see the batteries poop out permanently in one of CPF's brighest lights... :shakehead :mecry: :shakehead
My most sincere condolences to Walt's family and friends. :candle:

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I met him at my first PF and was amazed by the collection of lights he had. He was so friendly and eager to share his knowledge and to answer the questions I had regarding many of his lights. He was a great guy. I'm very saddend at his passing and his family and close friends have my sincere condolences.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
A common bond (the appreciation of lights & related technology) has brought us all together here at the Candle Power Forums.

Some of us have had the opportunity to meet in person, get to know each other at different levels, and enjoy some great words & times. For those of us who haven't met in person, we've still developed & enjoyed a positive experience here in these CPF hallways.

I didn't know Walt, but it still hurts when the "Circle of Life" is completed for any of our fellow members. I'll admit it's a selfish feeling though, for those of us left here. I want to believe that Walt and others we've lost are indeed in a better place on a higher plane indeed!!

Rest in Peace Walt!! Prayers & positive thoughts to family & friends.

Pila_Power

Enlightened
Thanks for those pics.

I never spoke with Walt, never heard of him until the initial tragic thread but I am still moved near to tears by reading of his friendships and life spirit with you guys.

Just the glint in his eyes and the grin shows me he was at home finally with you guys at those gatherings.

He found kindred spirits here, now he has found them 'there'.

RIP big guy.

luxlover

Banned
A common bond (the appreciation of lights & related technology) has brought us all together here at the Candle Power Forums.

Some of us have had the opportunity to meet in person, get to know each other at different levels, and enjoy some great words & times. For those of us who haven't met in person, we've still developed & enjoyed a positive experience here in these CPF hallways.

I didn't know Walt, but it still hurts when the "Circle of Life" is completed for any of our fellow members. I'll admit it's a selfish feeling though, for those of us left here. I want to believe that Walt and others we've lost are indeed in a better place on a higher plane indeed!!

Rest in Peace Walt!! Prayers & positive thoughts to family & friends.
Sigman,
Spoken like a true humanitarian! Every poster contributes something to CPF. Walt's interest in lights blossomed quickly after he received his Fenix L0P at a PhotonFest raffle. The guy was unstoppable!

Jeff

JediNight

Newly Enlightened
Walt and I exchanged PM's every now and again regarding different mods.

This really took me by surprise :(

Prayers go to him and his Family.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad some of you got some good pictures of Walt. I only met Walt once, but fairly recently, at PF10. I was impressed with his large collection of flashlights and he looked like he loved them all. He spent most of his time at PF10 shining all his various lights at the ceiling as other flashaholics checked out the beams. :)

I didn't get a good shot of Walt, but I got a shot of some of his lights he had on display for everyone to check out:

I also wanted to add another little story from PF10. At some point we were all checking out each other's knives. I showed Walt my Benchmade 710, he was showing his Camillus Heat (assisted opener), and some other knives, maybe the cabelas light/knife combo. Walt kept flicking his knives open and at some point he sliced his finger open. I'm pretty sure the Camillus Heat got him. I had my little first aid kit on me and gave Walt a band aid. Glad I was able to do something nice for him as it would be the last time I'd see him.

Condolences to his family and friends. Hopefully we can have a tribute for him at PF11.

Last edited:

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
For those interested, I have information on the arrangements from Walt's sister. Services will be handled at Lakeview Memorial Home, 371 Lakeview Ave, Clifton, NJ 07011, phone 973-772-1880. They have a website at LakeviewMemorialHome.com, and have a page for Walt over here.

Viewing hours take place on Friday, June 20th, 2pm-4pm and 7pm-9pm.

Walt's funeral takes place on Saturday, June 21st, at 9:30am.

His obituary was to appear in the Clifton Herald News and Clifton Record. As I do not receive either of those newspapers, I cannot say for sure if this was actually the case.

Walt is survived by his sister, Vikki. Cards and other such items can be sent to the funeral home and will be forwarded to her.

I spoke at length with Vikki, and was told a number of heartfelt anecdotes about Walt's childhood, other interests, recent projects, and more. I knew him as a flashlight enthusiast and modder... turns out that was the tip of the iceberg. We have lost one heck of a human being.

One other footnote that will come as no surprise to those who knew Walt: on the way out the door to the hospital, he grabbed not one but TWO flashlights to carry on his person... apparently he never left home without his lights. :)

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info Milky. I see he was a licensed ham radio operator. I will have to see if my father knew him.

gumbyandpokie999

Newly Enlightened
Thanks all you guys,Walt was my brother ,my best friend,my ham radio pal,
locker partner and my ride home from high school.I remember his mom and dad
they all called me "Arthur" which only certain people can call me ....
He was modding me a flashlight and he got as far as putting the light togetherand making it work,he never got to finish it though.Play the song Gary Wright - "Dream Weaver" today,it was one of Walt's favorite songs!.Hes gone home to his dad and mom,just like he wanted,he missed them so!
I was just fixing his phone line the other day,even though I was tired I went over ,cause it was WALT and I was the one with chest pains.~
Walt was the kind of guy that you remember.
You guys are stand up guys and I appreciate that.

Miss you so much buddy!

(look the ants are doing the macarena on the dashboard ,walt)

luxlover

Banned
Thanks all you guys,Walt was my brother ,my best friend,my ham radio pal,
locker partner and my ride home from high school.I remember his mom and dad
they all called me "Arthur" which only certain people can call me ....
He was modding me a flashlight and he got as far as putting the light togetherand making it work,he never got to finish it though.Play the song Gary Wright - "Dream Weaver" today,it was one of Walt's favorite songs!.Hes gone home to his dad and mom,just like he wanted,he missed them so!
I was just fixing his phone line the other day,even though I was tired I went over ,cause it was WALT and I was the one with chest pains.~
Walt was the kind of guy that you remember.
You guys are stand up guys and I appreciate that.

Miss you so much buddy!

(look, the ants are doing the macarena on the dashboard ,walt)
Which were you....gumby, or pokie?

What a great memorial to a guy who appreciated the simple things in life. If you show up at our next meeting at the Califon home of milkyspit on Oct. 18th at 12Noon, you will see how we memorialize and honor him. Try to make it.

Jeff

Last edited:

Latest posts