Water Bottles: What do you use?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I've been using frozen water bottles for years as lunch pale ice blocks. Those little square Fiji water bottles pack efficiently vs round ones. I cover the top of items with disposable plastic bags to create and air voids in the crevices and a cardboard carton from a microwave meal or a bubble envelope over that for a seal, then close the top. That helps keep the ice blocks colder, longer.

I used an Igloo "cube" cooler for decades but over time the lid just fell apart. When the handle broke one day that was it for that one. I use it at family gatherings to hold ice cubes.

AnyDayNow

Newly Enlightened
Water is pretty prevalent in the PNW, though in some places it can be hard to reach, so on longer hikes I take a water bottle filter. I backpacked the Rogue River(in Feb.) with the Sawyer, and never carried water, could drink when I wanted and poured the rest out. I switched to that bottle because the filter could be connected to tubing (actually uses a short tube in the bottle) to make a gravity filter in camp. In that case I also bring a Nalgene to mix tang in, or to catch the filtered water, if not bringing a water bag to catch it in. I also have a BeFree, which I can throw in on day hikes. Short day hikes I don't need water, but might bring coffee along in a Forge vacuum insulated bottle , very waterproof.

When backcountry skiing I take smaller Nalgene's with cherry juice, (other bottles don't fit in this packs pockets. Biking , regular water bottle, or the Forge, though my new bike's cage for some reason is taking the paint off it, it rattled in the old bikes cage. If not coffee than sparkling flavored water, but with the lid left open so it won't become over pressurized.

I used to use a shorter squeeze bottle for hiking too (ultimate?) , but not much anymore. I do have some old gatorade bottle but don't take because I don't have a good way to use them with a filter etc. but still experimenting. I think you aren't suppose to use those to much for sanitary reasons. Oh and I have used coke bottles for beer! (On a ski trip where our gear was brought in)

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Since we are a goodly distance from resupply, I put several frozen store-bought water bottles in our two insulated grocery bags before leaving to help keep cold food cold. Finding someone in need of cooldown or rehydration can be given one or more.
Many times at my work I've given my frozen water bottles to a solo worker who was not near a water supply.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
This 473ml (16oz) metal lined MiiR plastic vessel was designed in Seattle and "responsibly made" in China. Because those folks have such a wonderful track record of environmental protection I feel confident this thing is helping save the planet from greedy corporations and irresponisble tyrants.
IMG_9809.jpeg

Hey, ESG score aside, it makes a mighty fine cold beverage storage container. For real, no joking.

IMG_9812.jpeg
Being a responsible company and all it comes with an absolutely useless screw off lid that makes you remove it each time you want a sip and one hand operation a problem.

You can opt to purchase the ultra responsible "straw lid"
IMG_9814.jpeg

for a responsible $9.95 plus $9.95 for the slowest version of shipping Fed Ex offers or..,.

IMG_9811.jpeg

You can opt for the chug lid that actually works pretty well. Except for the ultra responsible thin plastic joint between the parts, meaning soon you can buy another one for the low price of $9.95 plus $9.95 for the slowest version of shipping Fed Ex offers.

But what to do with that screw off lid? No waste there? Nah, just hang it on a wall to show your friends how environmentally responsible you are. Or stick it in a drawer to use later when your straw lid or chug lid breaks.

In all seriousness this is a nice little thermos my company gave me recently that keeps your cold or hot beverage the temperature like it was when added fairly well. Yet all of that hoopla about being some environmentally conscious company is just another gimmick to get folks to pay $30+ for the cup that isn't that much unlike those at box stores for $6 to $10 and don't make you pay extra for a lid that allows you to use the darn thing with one hand.

My company issued an MiiR coffee mug came with a... lid that allows me to sip from it using one hand 😱

Bonus responsible tactic, Fed Ex dropped it off at my local post office so a USPS worker worked on a Sunday to get it to me. Nice to know that not only was it $9.95 to take two + weeks to arrive but my tax $ were used to get it to my door. Two thumbs down 👎👎

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
IMG_9942.jpeg

The MiiR vs Ocean Bottle

- The ocean bottle comes complete and ready to use. Remove the cap and stick in a straw, or just chug from it. The cap and top area are water tight.

- The MiiR comes with a screw off lid so it's a tumbler until you replace the lid with a chug lid or straw lid.

IMG_9943.jpeg

- The MiiR has a male lid so you add ice then liquid up to the threaded area or it spills.

- The ocean bottle uses a female lid so you can add liquid to the lid, put lid on and add ice to fill the remaining void.

Both end up holding about the same amount overall. Both hold keep the beverage cold well with help from 4 ice cubes.

All told the MiiR with chug lid was around $50. The ocean bottle $60. So neither one is cheap by any means.