We were all a newbe once

Charles

Newly Enlightened
Well I'am your latest newbe/amateur. Hello everybody... I have scanned through nearly
of all the post and i'am very excited.Yes I've got the little light bug too and it consumes me. If I have a light side, no pun intended, this forum brings my light to the surface. I noticed you have some cavers on this forum, well i"am one too which is what got me interested in LEDs. So far I"ve created one 9 LED flashlight from bits and pieces of flashlights, this and that from here and there so to spead but, I really like my little DB mod I just finished thanks to all of you for your inspiration and guidence. Anyway this is where I got the idea. I want to build a helment light with 36 LEDs and do another DB mod.Allright>>>
here's my question, I read on one of the post
about the Nichia-NSPW500BS with the S-bin ranking at 8000cd. Is that right?? If I call Nichia to purchase these, would I ask for these from the S-bin?? I'am a bit confused.
Either way I plan to buy a 100 of them. Oh by the way, I wished I could show some pics of my flashlights but, I don't have a digital camera. ITs different from the ones on this forum.

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Charles:
Well I'am your latest newbe/amateur. Hello everybody... I have scanned through nearly
of all the post and i'am very excited.Yes I've got the little light bug too and it consumes me. If I have a light side, no pun intended, this forum brings my light to the surface. I noticed you have some cavers on this forum, well i"am one too which is what got me interested in LEDs. So far I"ve created one 9 LED flashlight from bits and pieces of flashlights, this and that from here and there so to spead but, I really like my little DB mod I just finished thanks to all of you for your inspiration and guidence. Anyway this is where I got the idea. I want to build a helment light with 36 LEDs and do another DB mod.Allright>>>
here's my question, I read on one of the post
about the Nichia-NSPW500BS with the S-bin ranking at 8000cd. Is that right?? If I call Nichia to purchase these, would I ask for these from the S-bin?? I'am a bit confused.
Either way I plan to buy a 100 of them. Oh by the way, I wished I could show some pics of my flashlights but, I don't have a digital camera. ITs different from the ones on this forum.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Charles, and welcome! Try combing the past posts - I think there might be a group buy for the 6800mcd Nichia S-Ranks, you could save yourself some $$$. The T-Rank 8000mcd is still a little hard to find, almost mythical - but these guys here would know about it. Good luck!

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>?? If I call Nichia to purchase these, would I ask for these from the S-bin?? I'am a bit confused.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats right. You might also want to specify which colour temperature you prefer:

A - around 10,000K
B - around 6,500K
C - around 5,000K
D - around 3,000K

As a reference most LED torchs use the A or B colour LEDs. Sunlight on midday is somewhere around 5000-5500K.

Take a look at:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=001746

Charles

Newly Enlightened
One more thought concerning the four cell Dorcy LED light. On one of the post someone said the beam was to narrow but, how would that look if there was 24 of those same kind of LEDs and by the way, who makes those??
I agree the beam is too narrow but, throws a beam a good distance. Sounds like a good mod to me.
rolleyes.gif

MrAl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi there Charles and Welcome,

You might want to check into the
Luxeon Star LED's also, which although
are hard to get right now, should be
available next month (hopefully).
These LED's put out 10 times as much
light as a single Nichia LED.

Good luck with it,
Al