Wee Da Order list & Clarification

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like the somehow distressed look of these - pretty cool :thumbsup: Looking foward to receive mine.

:paypal:

Wee Da 100 Lumens £100.00
Ice Blue Locators £12.00
Shipping £5.00

olrac

Flashlight Enthusiast
:paypal:
Wee DA 100 Lumens Neutral White Q3 5000-3700K Cree XR-E £100.00
White Locators £12.00
Shipping £5.00

Thanks for all your hard work and dedication to this project. They turned out beautiful, hope you don't hate me for starting this all back in Sept. of 2007:twak::crackup:
Now I'll just kick back and wait for the Wee.
(Pick out a good one for me and shush don't tell anyone.:crackup:)

olrac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rob, will you change my trit color to green instead of white. (I am going white on the Wee AG so I want them to be different in the dark)

Thanks,
Carl

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wanted to make sure you guys realize you can order Ice Blue Trits for the Wee's. It's only sold out in the size that fits the Raw's.

Cheers,
Steve

Last edited:

olrac

Flashlight Enthusiast
No problem Rob,

I see a number of people want out of this project or have already done so. I think it is because everyone was expecting this to look more like the Raw DA. I think if it had used the same type of DA material these would been in such a demand people could sell them at a premium before delivery. Personally I would have preferred the twist DA material as it gives a more pleasing look and was considering selling my spot as well, but seeing as I was one of the primary instigators of this project I just couldn't do that. Out of curiosity and quite after the fact why didn't you use a twist DA? Please don't take offense to any of this I really do appreciate all the effort you put into this project. I just wanted to bring it out into the open rather than let it sit out there unspoken because why people are dropping out doesn't make sense to me.

PS I know once I have it in hand I will love it and I am sure others will be regretting not having one. I think there was an expectation in my mind and when the reality didn't match it was distressing but like most things in life time smooths everything out and I am getting used to the look. And hey, its 1 of only 34 not to be repeated again

Last edited:

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
:wave: Olrac,
Yes it is a shame a few guys have sold there spots at this stage.
I do not think anybody who prepaid has lost any money despite even the alterations in exchange rates since I asked for pre payments. In fact I heard at least one fellow made some $$'s on the sale of his spot.
That to me still says these are sort after. I do also have a couple of guys on an email list that would like a spot if one comes up.

The answer to your ? about the twist pattern is in the 1st post:
On recommendation from my UK distributor for www.damasteel.com in Sweden.
We decided that the Blue Tongue Non Twist pattern in Austenitic Stainless Damascus Steel would be the best option.

Mostly because the twist pattern we had done before & wanted to see a different pattern on the Wee Da. Also the smaller Diameter of the Wee would make the twisted layers look closer together & almost blend in.

:wave: All.
Below are some more photos which show how well the layers show all the way through the Wee Da.
P1020002.jpg

P1020003.jpg

P1020006.jpg

P1020011.jpg

I will send emails to the 4 guys who have not responded from the 1st ten about the final payment.
:thanks:

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
It ain't over till the fat lady sings! I am betting that with some very fine polishing wheels this light will look better than any Damascus Orb made to date. In just an hours work, each raised line can easily be polished separately due to the light's tiny size. In this way we can all take out the distressed looking marks around the outside. My DamWee is going to look dam good. Just u wait! :nana:

If you pass on this you will regret it, cuz it ain't going to come around again!

Also IMHO, the non twist blue tong has a fantastic and very clean look (the twist look is not for everybody). You guys need to wait till the finished lights are done before you judge them.

Thanks for all your hard work Orb . . . stay the course folks. :wave:

Cheers
Dave

olrac

Flashlight Enthusiast
There you go Rob,

You posted more pics and I am really excited to get my hands on this now, they look really cool the more I see them I see why you choose the material you did and it makes sense on such a small light. :twothumbs

That shot down the emitter is psychedelic looking, takes me back to the sixties, peace man:laughing::crackup:

dmdrewitt

Flashlight Enthusiast
As Dennis and Rob have both said many times, these need to be seen in the flesh to be appriciated and see the real beauty of the Damasteel.

Mine will be a keeper for sure :thumbsup:

lovecpf

Thanks Rob and Dennis :wave:

David

olrac

Flashlight Enthusiast
It ain't over till the fat lady sings! I am betting that with some very fine polishing wheels this light will look better than any Damascus Orb made to date. In just an hours work, each raised line can easily be polished separately due to the light's tiny size. In this way we can all take out the distressed looking marks around the outside. My DamWee is going to look dam good. Just u wait! :nana:

If you pass on this you will regret it, cuz it ain't going to come around again!

Also IMHO, the non twist blue tong has a fantastic and very clean look (the twist look is not for everybody). You guys need to wait till the finished lights are done before you judge them.

Thanks for all your hard work Orb . . . stay the course folks. :wave:

Cheers
Dave

Dave, you will have to go into more depth on how to do that so I don't accidentally kill my Wee DA :poof::mecry:instead of :party::D

Carl

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dave, you will have to go into more depth on how to do that so I don't accidentally kill my Wee DA :poof::mecry:instead of :party::D

Carl

Carl,

I will do just that and post a "how to" right here. I suspect there are others here that have polished Damascus as well and they may chime in too.

The most important issue is to not use a soft wheel (like felt or cloth), it will fall right into the cracks and take away the black that covers the valley floors. I am not saying that this would not be a great look too, but it would be a lower contrast look.

Instead, an impregnated hard rubber wheel will polish only on the crests. 600 to 1000 grit paper will work too if you wrap it around the light and or glue it to a chopstick.

I will experiment as soon as I get my Wee.

Cheers
Dave

Osprey_Guy

Enlightened
As you might imagine, I could not possibly rationalize spending hours polishing each Wee Da...But having said that, I think you guys are gonna be more than a little surprised when you see these in person. They are already far more polished then the photos suggest.

I've got polishing wheels of every shape and size...and I could certainly have polished these until there was not a hint of black. But that would have been self-defeating as I spent a heck of a lot of time trying to achieve a high contrast (and in fact I actually put additional black into the "valleys"). In person these are much more "jewelry-like" than you might think. But as Rob and I have both discovered it is very difficult to capture that in a photo (at least it was with my limited photography skills). Trust me... You're gonna love 'em when get them in your hands.

You'll see....
wink.gif

Dennis

Last edited:

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
As you might imagine, I could not possibly rationalize spending hours polishing each Wee Da...But having said that, I think you guys are gonna be more than a little surprised when you see these in person. They are already far more polished then the photos suggest.

You'll see....
wink.gif

Dennis

Thanks Dennis.

I can at least tell from the photos that your etching is deep and very well done. I can't wait. And thanks for all your hard work too! :thumbsup:

Cheers
Dave

judgecrandall

Newly Enlightened
PP sent for the Wee Da 50 lum (£100), plus white locators. I'd like the 50 lum to be neutral white.

I also got a Wee NS with the 25 Lum, ice blue locators, neutral white.

Sorry for the delay in payment, I was just trying to wrap my head around the idea of paying this much for a flashlight... from the looks of all the photos, especially the most recent ones, it'll be money well spent! Great work Dennis and Rob!

Last edited:

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, the closeups look stunning, especially the third. They already show how deep the etching is and that the contrast might be much better actually as the contrast on the Raw Da! I really like the pattern of this blue tongue and I already don´t care anymore if a Wee Da is a light or just a very beautiful piece of metal :) :thumbsup:

Eric

Osprey_Guy

Enlightened
I can at least tell from the photos that your etching is deep and very well done. I can't wait. And thanks for all your hard work too! :thumbsup:
Thanks Dave. I can tell you that I've worked with a lot of damascus steel and the particular variety of steel that was selected for these Wee Da's was by far the most challenging that I've ever had to etch (aka...it was a royal pain!). I can't tell you how many days I spent trying different formulas and different ratios to get something was not too weak, but then again not too aggressive.

Having completed the first batch the etchant solution is now kinda muddy-looking...which to me means that it's almost "just right." In fact it just gets better with each etching (of course I have to "top it off" every now and then with a "magic" ingredient).

Out of the first ten Wee's there was one straggler that didn't get done until several days after the first nine (and was shipped back to Rob under separate cover). By then the "stew" had cooked some more and when I finally etched that one and pulled it out to look at it I was positively thrilled to see that not only was the etching nice and deep, but the entire surface had turned quite black!* "Eureka!" (I exclaimed) :thumbsup:

*Needless-to-say, just as I did with the others, I polished off the high spots. Although the initial "black" finish might have looked good to me, it was by no means anything that is acceptable to present to the public.

Last edited: