weird food combinations

myk

Enlightened
my current weirdest meal I make myself is the 60 (90?) second microwaveable rice with barbeque sauce on it. Or Easy-Mac and tuna fish with hot sauce.

i put salsa on cold pizza

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd have to say the least likely food combination I've ever encountered was the time I ordered a pizza at Kyle of Lochalsh in Scotland. First of all the pizza was made with very lightly cooked dough and tomato paste spread across it. Then to my disbelieve I saw the maker sprinkle it with salt.:ohgeez: That was it, dough, tomato paste, and salt. Now here's the kicker, I was asked if I wanted chips (french fries) with my pizza.:green::sick2:

Norm

Retired Administrator
Pop with ice cream used to be a popular drink in Australia it was called a spider, the same thing made with coke was called a coke float often some sort of flavored syrup was also added.
My late wife's favorite sandwich was peanut butter and beetroot.
Norm

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fluffster said:
Try sprinkling a little bit of ground black pepper over vanilla ice cream. Seriously.

Do you use the natural vanilla ice cream with the ground up vanilla beans?

At the same time, pepper is really good on top of popcorn (I always add some kind of spice from the cabinet for good measure... curry, coriander, cayenne.... ). When I make mashed potatoes I like to spice them up with some paprika.

And for french fries, I like to dip them in mustard (vinegar is one of the ingredients and is popluar on fries) instead of catsup.

Cilantro is really good with apple. A slice of green apple and some cilantro make a veggie burger a little more tasty.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
My mom used to tell me that sprinkling salt on watermelon made it sweeter. Never bought that one, OK, mom?

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone eat their breakfast cereal with h20? I stopped drinking milk A LONG time ago, when I was a vegetarian, that's when I started eating my cereal with water. It tastes fine, I like the cereal, but all my friends think it is really wierd and are reluctant to try it. I always ask them if they put milk in their oatmeal, or just water. Or if they need milk to enjoy bread or crackers or cookies. But I don't dip my hotdog buns in water...

I've heard people suggest trying apple juice or orange juice, thinking that would be a better alternative. Never thought that would be a good idea.. would rather have some fresh fruit to enjoy anyway. My brother doesn't buy milk, but he seems to think soy or rice milk is required to enjoy cereal. That's a little rich for me.

Plus, water is cheap.

D@rk Messenger

Enlightened
french fries and icecream, back in the days when I didn't care about my health, back in the day when we were crazy kids, lol...of course, I only had this stuff twice a year until I decided never to go back to McDonalds.

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
greenlight, My parents and one of my brothers put salt on watermelon. I never liked it. They also put pepper on muskmelon. My dad said he used to put peanuts in his bottle of RC cola, that way he could have both in just one hand while riding his bike or whatever.

Last edited:

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
D@rk Messenger said:
french fries and icecream, back in the days when I didn't care about my health, back in the day when we were crazy kids, lol...of course, I only had this stuff twice a year until I decided never to go back to McDonalds.

I used to do that too! It was a good lazy Sunday time killer. I haven't been in a McDonald's for years; I'll have to be in serious danger of starving to death to do so again.

:buddies:

l1s125

Newly Enlightened
I saw this on an episode of Mr. Rogers Neighborhood. It's very weird, but actually quite tasty.

A banana wrapped with a slice of american cheese.

don't knock it 'til you try it.

SheDevil

Newly Enlightened
I know a fellow CPFer that puts A1 steak sauce on everything; meatloaf, mac and cheese and chicken. YUCK !!! Ruins my perfectly good food with that stuff. :lolsign:

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
SheDevil said:
I know a fellow CPFer that puts A1 steak sauce on everything; meatloaf, mac and cheese and chicken. YUCK !!! Ruins my perfectly good food with that stuff. :lolsign:
A1 is the steak sauce of kings (began with King George IV). So if you think A1 ruins your food, you probably inherited your culinary tastes from a lineage of peasants. :nana:

myk

Enlightened
SheDevil said:

I too have been known to put A1 on all of the above, plus baked potatoes, mashed potatoes, french fries, corn, i could keep going

eggs of course -

thanks for reminding me =) I'm out of A1

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Way back in the day, a friend of mine was eating a sandwich, and told me it was peanut butter and bacon. I said something to the effect of "yuck", but he then tells me his mom made it for him, and would make one for me just to check it out. Wouldn't ya' know, it was good!

Never had one since, but always remembered the time I tried a PB & B sandwich.

Another "B" that definitely goes well with PB is bannana.

myk

Enlightened
Bimmerboy said:
Way back in the day, a friend of mine was eating a sandwich, and told me it was peanut butter and bacon. I said something to the effect of "yuck", but he then tells me his mom made it for him, and would make one for me just to check it out. Wouldn't ya' know, it was good!

Mmmm Bacon. Natures Candy.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bimmerboy said:

I seem to remember on a Food Channel show that peanut butter and bacon was once such a popular combination that Kraft actually made a peanut butter and bacon spread! I think it was back in the 50's.