Well Pump Died

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I don't use a pressure tank right now. I use the well pump to pump the water to a tank uphill from me, then use gravity to bring it back down to a second pump which pressurizes it for the shower or washing...I don't pressurize it for watering plants..
Using the well pump to pressurize the house would need a pressure tank, but filling a large storage tank and then using secondary pumps for house pressure doesn't... I'm still not sure which route I'll go..
.. just this morning I had the 1/2 horsepower pump in the well removed and replaced with a 1/3 horsepower, runs at 7 amps instead of 9 and draws 24 amps on start-up max instead of 50+ -- works fine with the inverter now, and seems to pump as much water as the other one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

MicroE

Enlightened
Ted---How deep is your well?

It sounds like you can swap out motors pretty easily.

A buddy of mine told me that his well in North Carolina is 684 feet deep. Around here (Northern New Jersey) you hit water at 40 feet. My neighbors that live at the bottom of our hill must have their sump pumps on day and night!

Binky---I'm glad that you are finding this thread useful. However, there is a small charge for the educational service that we provide here........ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ---Marc

D

**DONOTDELETE**

My well is somewhere between 150 - 200 feet deep, I think. The pump is about 70 feet down, 40 feet below the surface of the water.
It pumps through a PE 3/4" tube, and can be hauled up by one (strong) person, 2 is easier.
We swapped the same brand and type of pump, just unscrewed the old and screwed on the new, respliced the 4 wires, (think we needed only 2..) and that was it. Took less than an hour and a half.

TOB9595

Enlightened
A storage tank is an easy job
Isn't a job easy only when you know how /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Your friend can advise on what fittings you have and if you can turn a wrench you're in.
Be sure that the space you want to use can accomodate the new tank. If in another location be sure to gather pipe and fittings.
The 3/4 may have introduced pressures and flow the likes of which the old tank hasn't seen in 30 years.
Be sure to size the tank appropriately for the 3/4 hp pump. Sears will have a sizing sheet
I'd verify information by GOING HERE
Tom

MicroE

Enlightened
Thanks.
Calculating the size of the tank is easy.
Figuring out how to get the tank through the kitchen and down to the basement, now that's the hard part. The tank that I need is 114 pounds and 5 feet tall. (I calculated the proper size and then added in an extra safety factor because we sometimes lose power in the summer.)

Safety Factor = 5 flushes and 5 gallons of drinking water, minimum requirement.

Have Water, will travel.---Marc

TOB9595

Enlightened
Well (all pun intended /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ), That's easy.
You should be able to lift 35 pounds by yourself!
Cut it in thirds, hold the basement door open with your foot and voila!
It's important to be accurate with the cuts.
I've been working out so I usually cut mine in half /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Good luck
Tom

MicroE

Enlightened
LOL. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Should I use my ARC LS or my SF to cut the steel tank into thirds?