What are YOU waiting for?

Pax et Lux

Enlightened
I'm waiting for an 18650-powered EDC light like the one PEU is working on with the highest bin LED available, a 1-3 lumen low, a 30 lumen medium, and full-blast high that will chase away shadows with massive flood power. Flat discharge curve on all settings.

Also waiting for a AAA-powered light similar to the Arc AAA-P with the same small highly-durable form-factor and a high-efficiency emitter (maybe a Rebel?) that would extend the runtime for low (3-4 lumens) on NiMH or alkaline and a 30-lumen high with decent runtime.

Absolutely. Couldn't agree more.

I also desperately want to see the updated SMJLED, as cited above. A bit more brightness and a lot more runtime. That would be cool.

prof

Enlightened
I'd love something like the surefire L1 with a THREE stage switch--very low (1.1 lumens, like the 2005 version), medium (say 10 lumens or so) and high (max it out--blast away). Also, I'd like a very tight beam (again like the 2005 version or the Inova TIROS) with a BUILT-IN flip-up beam filter. That would provide both spill for general use and throw when needed...

Not asking for much, am I?

CostcoAAcells

Newly Enlightened
Not quite that big, but close. Lighter too. Would more output help despite smaller size ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Malkoff-Devices...ameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

Thanks for pointing that out, NA8. I've been reading a lot of good thing about Gene's drop-ins. They're never available when I'm ready to impulse buy, though. I just added him to my 'favorite sellers' to keep a better eye on him.

Edit:
Now you've done it, NA8. He had 4 up for sale. I couldn't resist. As of now, there are 3.

Last edited:

Hans

Enlightened
If there's another Blackout, and I'm at work, I need lights I can count on until I can make it home. And Cree-based lights don't fall into that category. Too new, still unknown how they'll hold up over the long haul. If brightness is all that matters to you, that's one thing. But there are other factors I look for in a light.... especially one that I'll be EDCing.

I like that. You're right, there are plenty of high-tech multi-mode lights about that can do virtually anything (except perhaps doing the washing-up), but IMO there aren't many small lights that can be relied on in an emergency. I love the LOD CE, for instance, but I wouldn't really want to have to rely on it for a variety of reasons.

The light I'm waiting for: AAA cells to keep the size down, ideally 2xAAA in a side-by-side body (like the old UK 2AAA eLED), but a 1xAAA body would be fine. At least two levels (one fairly low, about 3 lumens at most, high should have something like 40-60 lumens), three would be better. No SOS and no strobe to keep the UI simple. Switching sequence low-high or low-medium-high. The light should have half-way decent runtimes on plain alkalines, an important consideration when travelling in some remote areas.

Beam with a tight hotspot and enough sidespill for navigating rooms. Very rugged construction for maximum reliability - potted electronics, waterproofing, an unbreakable lens (even if it's polycarbonate), twisty. A clip is a must, so is tailstanding. Ideally the light should be available with white LEDs and red LEDs, but a good red filter might do.

Hans

o0o

Enlightened
I'd like something that can compete with a Surefire M6 in output with a single LED, and with top of the line color rendition. 500 lumens minimum with flat regulation and multiple output settings. I'm willing to trade off with large size and many batteries to do this. We are a few years from single LEDs being able to run at this wattage level.

This would be my ultimate long-term wish.

A more shorter term goal: 200+ lumens from a U2 with a single LED, with enhanced color rendition. I would like 6 settings spaced out as: 5 lumens - 15 lumens - 30 lumens - 60 lumens - 120 lumens - 200+ lumens (preferably closer to 250 lumens than 200 lumens). This could be as few as 2 years away.

Last edited:

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am with IdahoDoug 100%.

I think the user interface on the multi-level lights are not intuitive at all.

I would like:
1. 1xAA roughly the size of an Infinity Ultra.
2. Tail clicky for on-off only.
3. Rotating head (NOT tail) with detents for off (optional), low, medium, high. The "off" detent allows a lockout, or to use the head as the on/off switch. You could also choose a tailcap without a switch if you prefer a twisty an/or want a shorter light.
The detents/bezel could have markings which you could feel, to determine what power level it is on without actually seeing it. I want low to be VERY low--just enough to read or move around at night without waking everyone. Just like the Palight on low.
4. Use the SSC or Cree with a good reflector producing a Surefire-like beam. No back-glare, please.
5. Efficient electronics, with a balance of runtime and brightness.