What are your favorite wild animals?

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
I've had a fascination with reptiles since I was a kid. I have a get-away shack out in the Mojave and the wild life ranges from scorpions to Coyotes. Lizards are people! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif If it isn't too rough a capture, you can have a Chuckawalla eating out of your hand in 5 minutes. (That can be two-hands full of lizard!) The desert Kangaroo rats are easily "house broken," and unlike a Packrat, don't try to move inside. You throw a little "chum" leading in the front door and you soon have company. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
site1035.jpg

Chuck
site1062.jpg

Cheeks
site1061.jpg

Desert Iguana
To snakebite and MaxaBaker, I murder these things! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
site1033.jpg

Larry

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
(shivers)..........plese, no spiders........ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/aaa.gif

I love snakes though and scorpians are cool.

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow. That's pretty cool. I didn't know that scorpians glowed under UV. Is that true with all scorpians?

Tvo rod, awsome M6. Whered you get the vegemite??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif (that kangaroo rat is awsome!!!!!)

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
MB To my understanding, all scorpions fluoresce under UV. (Takes a lot of "sport" out of hunting and murdering them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ) (I try and keep the population down for a 100 yd radius around the shack.) The Vegemite just showed-up. I loan the keys occasionally. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif Roo Rats are too kool! I had one I managed to train to come in and jump up onto the couch to stuff his cheeks followed by an "elevator ride" on my hand back to the floor, and off to his/her burrow with the spoils. They like trail mix, mixed nuts and, most of all, Cheezits. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Somewhere I have pics of a fox we got very frendly with.

Larry

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds Cool!!! Makes me want to take a trip to CA.

I like Cheezits, can I come over? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I've always been fascinated by badgers and wolverines. Almost nothing messes with either animal and lives to tell about it. It's not so much that they win fights as they just can't lose nearly as fast as their opponent.

Big cats are fascinating - amazing "power to weight" ratios in such graceful, terrifying animals.

I've always liked bobcats simply because of their... spite. Whenever a bobcat and lynx fight, the lynx generally loses despite longer reach and greater size - bobcats are just that much more ferocious. I've heard rumors about semi-domesticated bobcats that scare the crap out of everyone that's seen them because of their intense eyes and because they can be mistaken for a housecat at first quick glance.

Dragonflies for being such successful aerial predators.

Dogs are interesting. They're humanity's first - and most successful - genetic-engineering experiment. Scientists have proven that untrained dogs take queues from humans better than trained chimpanzees. Most desirable characteristics in dogs have been bred into them.

Coyotes - for being so adaptable and economical. They can live somewhat comfortably in suburbia - somewhat unique for a medium-sized land predator. ...and I used to enjoy following them around the neighborhood at night on foot or in a car.

Sharks... arguably they represent the perfect predator since their design is so ancient and hasn't changed much for eons. Proof that success isn't always great intelligence or "advanced" physiology.

L

LITEmania

...i don't have a dog yet, (because my wife and young children)

but i shall get a doggie 20 years later so I can get old together and pass away, too.

[edit] oh..dog is not an wild animal, but a pet.

Warren,

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great photos, Larry! I spent a couple of months at 29 Stumps and really liked the High Desert. We'd go bouldering out at Joshua Tree.

That Chuckawalla is impressive and the Roo Rat is cute as a bug's ear.

IP, very well put! I know that I wouldn't want to meet up with a Wolverine. A hunting buddy had his camp destroyed by one several years ago. Everything was torn up and reeked of it's sprayings.

I bought the Inova X5 UV primarily for checking out sleeping bags, boots and clothing of clients on excursions. I found out that the most dangerous place (scorpion-wise) was around the cooking area and the latrine after lights-out.

Which reminds me of a couple of fellahs that went hunting in Mexico. They were up on top of a mountain and one stopped to take a dump and was bit on the rump by a rattlesnake.

His buddy ran down the mountain into the town and found the local doctor's office. The doctor was in the middle of delivering a baby so he told the hunter what to do, "suck as much of the poison out as you can and keep him still, I'll be up there after the baby is delivered."

The hunter ran back up the mountain to his stricken buddy, the bitten buddy asked, "What'd Doc say?"

His exhausted buddy sat down on a rock and said, "Doc said you're gonna die." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

Britt

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Incredible creatures! That's an awesome photo! I've never seen a tiger in the flesh outside of a zoo. 900 pounds would dwarf the 600 pound male lions I've seen.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
about the only critter i go out of my way to kill is wasps.
i have gotten attacked too many times without provocation to tolerate them.
they are industrious little sh!ts though.
i had a dinner plate sized nest appear under the hood of a project car here.
had the hood open before and no nest.
3 weeks later i open a door and it looked like an airport in and out of the fenders.got rid of them by starting it up and turning on the a/c.
makes for lots of heat under the hood real fast.
baked them out.

[ QUOTE ]
tvodrd said:
MB To my understanding, all scorpions fluoresce under UV. (Takes a lot of "sport" out of hunting and murdering them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ) (I try and keep the population down for a 100 yd radius around the shack.) The Vegemite just showed-up. I loan the keys occasionally. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif Roo Rats are too kool! I had one I managed to train to come in and jump up onto the couch to stuff his cheeks followed by an "elevator ride" on my hand back to the floor, and off to his/her burrow with the spoils. They like trail mix, mixed nuts and, most of all, Cheezits. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Somewhere I have pics of a fox we got very frendly with.

Larry

[/ QUOTE ]