What did you use your flashlight for today?

Roanqoan

Newly Enlightened
I'm in the music business and my environment is frequently dark. Dealing with cables and other gear on dark stages, loading in and out in the middle of the night, navigating my way through wherever we end up sleeping out on the road...

My band mates point their cell phones out in front of them awkwardly for a bit of light. They claim it works fine, yet I am constantly asked if I'll lend my light to them!!

Anyway, we found ourselves camping out in the middle of nowhere after a festival. Had my Ti aeon mk 2 with me and this time all the cell phones were dead. I enjoyed my beer and held the light while everyone else set up the tent! 😉😄

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool story! I was back to doing the dishes with my Armytek Wizard Pro Warm today because it is just fun to change things up once in a while haha.

kj2

Flashaholic
Took out my 'old' TK41. Have it almost four years now, and it still rocks IMO :) Lower modes are enough to walk around outside, and kick it to high or turbo and it throws well enough.

Raven-burg

Newly Enlightened
Went to survey a huge hydrostatic steriliser at a pet food factory while it was on a shutdown. There were crews of welders/fitters everywhere working on this piece of kit as shutdowns are only for a few days at most. Up in the top penthouse area it's pretty dark and one guy saw me using my Fenix PD35 and was BLOWN away! He borrowed it to look down a 20 metre shaft to check a chain. Him and his buddy went straight on the internet and purchased one! Most of the guys on the site all had really bad, cheap lights and they spend most of their days in places like this!!! The best light I saw was an LEDLenser headlight.
Another couple of Flashaholics were born!

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

Last edited:

Stream

Enlightened
Awesome story, Raven-burg. I guess given his line of work he can actually appreciate a quality light, and how it makes his job easier.

kj2

Flashaholic
Used my Fenix TK41 to clear a roadkill. That road doesn't have any streetlights, so it was a dangerous situation for cyclists and motorcycles. Had plenty of light in medium mode, and could alert upcoming cars.

Raven-burg

Newly Enlightened
Awesome story, Raven-burg. I guess given his line of work he can actually appreciate a quality light, and how it makes his job easier.

Thanks.
I'm office based normally so it's a real treat to get out and use my lights.
You just can't believe that these guys, who spend their entire days in poorly lit places, don't have anything but those 5mm multi LED lights.
Today I taped my Sunwayman D20Avn to the top of my sons Nerf rifle. Looked pretty cool and we had an epic battle!

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

AMD64Blondie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Power went out temporarily at work-it was out when I got there.(I work at Portland State University in the mail room.)

I just reached in my pocket,pulled out my HDS Rotary 250..and used that to find my Black Diamond Storm headlight in my backpack.

Strapped on my headlight,flicked it on,and continued sorting mail like nothing had happened.

Felt really good to be prepared.

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
as usual, my neighbors kid left the door unlocked and ajar, so when the wind started whipping up, it set off the alarm. the first door i checked was the garage door which i found unlocked and up slightly. i opened it and went in. the interior door that leads to the house was slightly ajar, and i grabbed the door knob and it opened. i hollered inside, but heard nothing. i called my neighbor at work and asked her if she saw anything on her remote cameras. she said no, so i went to check the house and now the interior door is closed and locked! now i'm thinking there is someone inside. an officer on a traffic post up the street responded to the house for the alarm and i told him what happened and now we've surrounded the house. i went to the kids school and picked up his house keys and let him know he left the door open again and to come to my house after school to pick up the keys.

i went back to the neighbors house, and let the police in. of course one officer is a rookie, another is the desk sgt who was on his way to lunch, and the other is the traffic cop who didn't need a light. theyre all asking each other for a flashlight so i hand the desk sgt my cigvn which was just handed to me by the postman. he looks at me like i'm nuts, wondering how he's going to do a premise check with a penlight. he turns it on and all the other cops are scrambling for the light. they were more than impressed, asking for details while i gently reminded them of the bad guys that are looting the house.

they found the window open in the kid's bedroom which is what blew the door shut on me, and no sign of burglary. 3 of the cops then came to my house for a tour of the shelf queens.

jjp888

Newly Enlightened
Frying a mosquito by my flashlight highest setting(around 1000 lumens).........hey just kidding Although I have done it plenty of times.

hmmm... today what I did....yes I used it to check the oil levels in my pressure washer.Iam a simple guy and not much actions goes around me.I love repairing things especially house hold equipment( never electronis it's kind of ureal to me) and during repairs I use my small edc to peep around hard to see areas and looking for lost screws on the floor.

Last edited:

UnderPar

Enlightened
Charged the batteries of my SC600 MkII L2, Olight M2X-UT, FourSevens MMU-X3 and Supbeam L25A after using it last night in our overnight camp.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last night I used my Armytek Wizard Pro Warm while shoveling snow. It seemed like we got about a foot of snow which was unexpected! I didn't really need to see better, but I figured it would make me a lot more visible to cars driving around.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
For those who are familiar with the Raspberry Pi computer, the new version 2 contains a chip that is not encapsulated - it is a chunk of bare silicon - so it's sensitive to bright light. Some have been able to crash the computer with a camera strobe, so I tried it with my PD35 on various modes. I was unable to crash it.

Stream

Enlightened
For those who are familiar with the Raspberry Pi computer, the new version 2 contains a chip that is not encapsulated - it is a chunk of bare silicon - so it's sensitive to bright light. Some have been able to crash the computer with a camera strobe, so I tried it with my PD35 on various modes. I was unable to crash it.

The things we do in the name of science! :D

Berneck1

Enlightened
To find all the cheerios my 4-year old twins dumped behind the sofa......

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
LOL. I use one of my lights, usually an HDS, or Malkoff, daily, acutally every hour or more looking for stuff my grand kids have dropped, including food, broken plates, glasses, also looking for the remotes, that disappear every hour or so, etc. Got to be honest here, I use a flighlight maybe 100 times a day. Just me, a flashaholic who would rather leave the house light off, and use a flashlight; what fun.

Bill

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Used my S.S. Maratac AA model to check out the Terrace at the dorms where I work. It's the designated smoking area. Been closed for several weeks due to the camera being down. Camera came back up, but the Resident Directors wanted it kept locked since garbage bags full of ice from the snowfalls were tossed in there. Turns out that yesterday, one of the guards unlocked it. And didn't bother to tell us on the nightshift. :rolleyes:

So, any of the horribly addicted smokers could have gone back there and frozen over in the 5 degree (not a typo) weather with gusting winds. Instead of smoking directly outside where we could immediately reach them if things got bad real quick!

Finding the Terrace door unlocked, I searched using my light to make sure no one was frozen underneath one of the benches. I couldn't turn on the lights because there is no switch. Only a special vampire-teeth key that switches the lights on and off. Just easier and faster to use my light. Thankfully, no nearly frozen to death residents.

The incident was just so boneheaded because although the morning shift is supposed to unlock the doors, 2nd shift is supposed to switch the lights on. 3rd shift locks the door and switches the light off. Someone screwed up royally and didn't bother to brief anyone along the way that the door was unlocked. Brilliant! :mad:

Not sure what the Hell's going on, but over the course of the last 2-3 weeks the same reliable set of co-workers I've been dealing with over the last 9 months.... Has turned into a bunch of utter morons who now excel at doing stupid $#@% that not even the most stoned residents would pull. And I'm not being sarcastic. I've met those residents. All they do is get stoned and simply relax or go out late at night for snacks. They've given me zero aggravation in the last 2-3 weeks. Can't say that about my co-workers.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Friend of mine calls on short notice with a problem with their vehicle (old BMW 328 trunk won't latch: my level of appreciation for German automotive engineering supremacy just ratcheted down), so I grab a few tools and take off. Flashlight in the truck fails to light (thanks, Ray-O-Vac alkalines) so I'm down to EDC's. I complete the entire job with the Nitecore Tube: I assess the geometry, tweak the trunk latch and cut some cardboard spacers for the stupid light switch on the trunk itself that now won't switch off. Tube was plenty of light for the job.

Only after the job is complete and I'm putting away my tools do I find that I have my Fenix BC30 in the truck from when I last transported the bike, which might have put out a few more lumens.