What did you use your flashlight for today?

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
Tonight I went on a road trip with a friend to look at a german shepherd he was interested in taking home. The warm minimag was used to find some things in the car, and the surefire C2 with M61W was used to spot signs, landmarks and addresses to find our way in the rural area. My friend made a comment about the brightness of the C2 that any flashaholic would enjoy. He is not totally unenlightened since he EDC's a streamlight microstream.

We enjoyed the trip and my friend ended up taking home a really neat german shepherd.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Mrs Fixer ran the garbage disposal and when it stopped I heard a loud humming noise. "Wut-thu-$&@#?" I noticed it was coming from outside. "No, no no, please don't let it be the furnace"……

It was dude next door pumping up the tires of his grandmothers car, lit by a keychain light. (At least it wasn't a celphone.) I whipped out my 3D Maglite (ML300LX) and lit up his entire driveway from my back deck. I hear "mmmmmmmm-heck yeah-mmmmmmm". When done he says "this is my annual hey grandson I have a low tire light on" visit.

This morning I used my Malkoff M61T MD2 to locate a military vehicle by serial number in an unlit lot full of other trucks. Loved the throw of the beam, which allowed me to see the whole line of trucks on low mode instead of blasting my vision out. Kicking myself for not taking a beamshot for y'all! Here's one later in the morning from about ten feet.

Cheers

Attachments

• B96A3C12-728B-4F85-956D-8E8AE5BACD72.jpeg
    B96A3C12-728B-4F85-956D-8E8AE5BACD72.jpeg
    117.1 KB · Views: 91

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
Other than my usual daily light use at work I was able to give a good test run with my fenix hm23 headlamp. That was a good purchase. Lightweight and comfortable. Love the headband. It has a neutral tint but on the cool side of neutral. Color rendering is good, modes and beam profile are also good for the close up work that I will mostly be using it for.

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
Did a cleaning job on my flat yesterday (vacuuming and mopping). Normally I shine a flashlight to spot pieces of debris and dust bunnies that may escape the tools, and indeed I kept my Convoy S2 (non +) handy, but the sun helped my efforts for once so I didn't need to use it.

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place wher
So...I used my Armytek WizProv3 on an hour long walk last night, clipped to my jacket collar. Temps were around mid teens to VERY low 20s. After about half an hour, clicking the switch to swap modes did nothing, I had to hold the head of the light in my hand for a few moments until the switch started working again. It has been DUMB cold this past week in NJ.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got my "90yr old back"(in the words of an orthopedic surgeon) fired up yesterday, moving a tree that had fallen on a shelter. That'll teach me not to bring my folding saw...
20220114_161234.jpg

Woke up at 3am, and was unable to get comfortable again, so I packed up and hiked out to the TH where my car was parked.
VideoCapture_20220115-084502.jpg

My car was only 2.25-2.5 miles from where I'd camped, but I love both rocky trails and night hiking, plus my back stopped bothering me, and I beat the morning traffic for the 65 mile drive home, so it was a win-win-win-win😃

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Been out on our church's men's retreat trip since Friday at Ocotillo Wells, CA. Used Milwaukee 12 and 18 volt lanterns, a Ridgid 18 volt lantern (with modified 120 volt Cree 9.5 watt- 60 watt equivalent warm white bulb) to light up much of camp. Used warm white Luci Lux and Lux pro lanterns in tents. Used Ridgid 18 volt 2500 lumen spotlight for target shooting with BB gun at night. Nitecore HC60 v.2 and NU20 headlights were used most frequently. Nitecore E4K was used while off-roading to spot hazards and find routes at night. Nitecore TM06s was used off roading to help others find their way down crazy routes in their Jeep and help with repairs directly after. Got to ride up blowsand and go through the dizzy pits (donut shaped holes you ride through sideways in a circle). Went to Shell Reef, Devil's Slide, and Diablo Drop-off. Had a blast. A few of the off road vehicles needed to be towed in trailers home because some of us had too much fun.

Poppy

Flashaholic
The battery for the electric start of my generator died, so I brought it inside to charge it up. I used my S2+ to get a better look at the charge gauge to see if it was time to pull the battery off charge. Not very exciting, but it was useful.

Just one of those mundane uses of a flashlight... like looking for a crayon under the couch.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I often forget this light, as it lives on a shelf in a closet used for storage. So I rambled around and got out some items to donate by the light of a 17-18yr old Dorcy 1xAAA modded with a MJLED(2x as bright, and white vs. the old bluish 5mm LEDs).
20220121_115928.jpg

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I often forget this light, as it lives on a shelf in a closet used for storage. So I rambled around and got out some items to donate by the light of a 17-18yr old Dorcy 1xAAA modded with a MJLED(2x as bright, and white vs. the old bluish 5mm LEDs).

I really like that tint. I'm a sucker for pure white tints.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I was quite tickled with myself when I swapped in a neutral white XML2 into a "Navy seal" zoomie that a friend gifted me.

LOL... when another friend tried to gift me one of the zoomie clones, I thanked him profusely, but explained that I already had one, and that it would get better/more use in his hands than mine. I was happy that he left with a spare 18650, and a charger for it.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
At my work there is a proposed storm sewer system on hold because of an unidentified 3" black pipe running right smack dab down the middle of where the concrete pipe will go. The drawings were done in 2019 and show a dashed line with unkown between dashes. The engineer told me nobody would ever claim it back then.

Our best guess is old telephone system main trunk line or a really really high voltage electric line from long ago. So it's never a good idea to just chomp through it with the digging bucket of a giant Tonka toy. A phone company guru came out today to "sound" it. We have used a water powered knife to safely expose the cable. And he was going back to cave man mode where you whack it with a shovel and listen for the sound it makes. Thud equals a big group of copper cables wrapped in a rubber sleeve. Ring means it's plastic.

First thing is to wash off the pipe and look for details like texture or stripes. Wash off pipe but being 4 feet in the ground means it's in a shadow. Not when you have an 850 lumen Maglite dialed to spotlight aimed at it. It was fun watching people when I pulled out a 2C sized Maglite and they assume it's an old light bulb model. "Pffft, what's that guy doing with that old flashlight"… Then hit the on switch of the ML150 shorty and "tadah" suddenly "is that a Maglite?" lol.

Unfortuneately the light did not help. No stripes, no texture were seen. Time to sound it. Bump, bump. No thud, no ring. More of a "thwap" like clapping a pair of 2x4's together. Perhaps being 21 degrees outside may have been a factor? All I know is the guru is returning Monday with what he calls a monkey clamp to wrap around it and send sonar in both directions to see if he can find where that sound stops. That may determine if it's disconnected or still live. But he's also bringing with him THE GURU. He says "Tom will know, because if it belongs to us he probably installed it". We're talking like 1965 to 1970 or so.

But I did get a kick out of watching peoples eyes light up when that Maglite lit up that hole like sunshine on a cloudy day.

evg12

Newly Enlightened
Lately I've been using an RRT01 with sw45k for most bathroom breaks in the house as I'm trying to EDC it. It's amazing how little light I need in there. :p I go to bed late at night so instead of turning on the daylight kitchen lights when getting milk before bed, I turn on my Fireflies Nov-MU with magnetic tail that has been living on my fridge door. Inside the bedroom I am rotating randomly between my RRT01, Noctigon K9.3 with 2700k SST-20, and my Convoy M21B GT-FC40 for brushing my teeth and getting into bed. For night walks (at least, until winter ends), I take the Convoy 4x18A SBT90.2 or L6 GT-FC40 or Malkoff M91T for the throw in the dark and wooded neighborhood. Sometimes I'll use one of my other lights in my collection not mentioned here - trying to justify each light I own so it's not just a shelf queen. (Well, except my D4v2 UV - don't have much use for it right now.)

tl;dr - I use about 3-4 of my lights each day for daily tasks.