What do i need to do runtime graphs?

x2x3x2

Banned
Was just wondering what kinda equipments and software would be needed to do those nice looking runtime graphcs as done by Newbie and Chevrofreak for example?

Thanks in advance.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
a $20K integrating sphere, lights, batteries and Cray Computer :p :nana:

ok.. just joking...

seriously, for relative runtimes you can have a simple solar cell and measure current across it... log it against time.

if you want to have "overall" light readings, put the solar cell in a box / sphere, don't let direct light fall over it :)

As a better alternative, You can use a cheap Chinese $30 light meter too however for better results i would recommend data logging Extech 407026 / 401036

Last edited:

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Photographic Exposure Meter

12" ruler

Kitchen timer

Lined pad

Pencil

Patience.

Excel

Imageshack.

CPF

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
ViReN said:
a $20K integrating sphere, lights, batteries and Cray Computer :p :nana:

ok.. just joking...

seriously, for relative runtimes you can have a simple solar cell and measure current across it... log it against time.

if you want to have "overall" light readings, put the solar cell in a box / sphere, don't let direct light fall over it :)

As a better alternative, You can use a cheap Chinese $30 light meter too however for better results i would recommend data logging Extech 407026 / 401036
I looked into the solar cell idea when I first got interested in this. I found that the output was very non-linear if I just measured the short-circuit current with a DVM. What you need, it turns out, is a very good short circuit, much better than you can get with any common DVM. It's an easy job with an op amp for anyone with a basic acquaintance with analog electronics, but I elected not to spend the time trying to calibrate it and just bought one of the cheap $30 lux meters from eBay. It gives me readings that are often surprisingly similar to values in reviews. I've also found it to be very linear, so I can get very measurements of the relative brightness of different lights.

I've made tons of graphs with the light meter, but it requires taking a bunch of manual readings. What I haven't looked into is how easy or difficult it would be to extract a value from it for input to a computer, which of course would be necessary to automate the process. One of these days when I have the time. . .

c_c

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the early days of my RT's, I pointed a camera at the Meter / travel clock, and recorded onto DVD.

Using 5 min skip on DVD, it was a doddle to note readings every 15 mins or so.

Just find it easier these days to do it manually, as very few torches have RT's in excess of 2 hours.

And I fit it in with other household duties.