What Flashlights Take The 10440?

fnsooner

Enlightened
Im not sure, but Im getting a hunch that people that run 10440, use low CRI, high Kelvin LEDs, because they care more about brightness than tint.

Incorrect, at least in my case. My Preons have high CRI warm tints and work great with 10440s. Can't stand cool tints.:ironic:

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a copper Maratac modded by Vinh with an XP-G2 N. The whole body gets warm on a 10440. But you can have your tint and eat it too.

It no longer uses a Maratac driver, which is not rated for 10440. Im glad you like the N tint. What CRI is the XP-G2? Vinh is famous for building high brightness lights, not high CRI.

No high Kelvins here. I like 10440 with my Nichia 219 because it makes the little Beta more versatile to me with a latest estimation of approximately 240 hi CRI lumens on high. I doubt the light has been ran on high with 10440 for more than 20 seconds at a time

I agree the Beta has high CRI, but it is not rated for 10440, its just a light some people choose to run 10440 in for a few seconds at a time. Im glad its working for you.

Does the 10440 still give you the 1 lumen low?, which I find very useful...

My Preons have high CRI warm tints and work great with 10440s. Can't stand cool tints.:ironic:

Cool :), what LED, Kelvin, and CRI do your Preons use?

sometimes I wonder about peoples definition of High CRI. I do not consider a 5500K NW XP-G2 high CRI.. I definitely do consider the 4400K, 85 CRI N219a High CRI, as well as the XPG 3000k, but no one here is talking about a 10440 with a 3000k LED.. yet :)

that was my point, people with 10440 are into bright lights, for a few seconds at a time.. Im glad to hear many of us are also interested in High CRI. I think high CRI lives at 4400K and below, the NW or Neutral tints I think are in the 70CRI range, but I say this hoping people will share specs and help educate me with more specific facts.

these are just my opinions, not an expert, and definitely open to learning.. no offense intended to those with more experience or different priorities

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
My E05ssvn is 4000k-4500k (I think) high cri single mode blaster. Yeah, coulda been brighter but I just love that beam.

Slightly OT: I got a 4000k xpl triple dedome mule from him, it's like a freaking incan light bulb!

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
My E05ssvn is 4000k-4500k (I think) high cri single mode blaster. Yeah, coulda been brighter but I just love that beam.

Slightly OT: I got a 4000k xpl triple dedome mule from him, it's like a freaking incan light bulb!

Those sound great!
I hope you post some side by side beamshots for tint comparisons (of single aaa lights only) including a generic high brightness XPG2 light such as the Maratac Rev 3, Olight i3s, or Thrunite offerings..

example, none rated for 10440, though people do. Each of the four lights are single aaa with 3 modes:
left to right Thrunite Titanium Xmas 6000k 70CRI XPL, Vinh custom Maratac with N219B 4500k? 85CRI? and thrunite driver, Gunga custom Maratac 3000k 85CRI? XPG with Thrunite driver, Gunga custom Olight i3s with 3000K 90 CRI XPL
IMG_8365.PNG

Last edited:

fnsooner

Enlightened
Cool :), what LED, Kelvin, and CRI do your Preons use?

I am pretty sure the LED is an xp-g of some sort. I don't think 4Sevens listed Kelvin/CRI specs. Here is a link to some beam shots. LINK

If my ZL SC62w is a 4400k, the preon is probably around 3000-3500k.

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am pretty sure the LED is an xp-g of some sort. ... Here is a link to some beam shots. LINK

thanks, I really enjoyed that link, and the beamshots, looks like you have a nice warm tint, that I prefer

some interesting details in that thread about tint and CRI differences between warm, and high cri warm, as well as neutral and cool.. thanks for the great info!
That's been my observation as well. The CRI is higher because of the boost in Cyan output. The standard warm emitter always looked very pink because of it's high Red output. The higher Cyan in the HCRI counteracts this and the colour is much more balanced, in my eyes at least.

thanks for the education that the XPG can handle the 10440 power, I did not know that
also thanks to uofaengr for the direct testimony that the N219a can handle the 10440 too

apology to the OP for the CRI hijack
rock on with the 10440 inquiry :)
Im happy to learn I was mistaken to assume 10440 users were low CRI and cool white dominated

Last edited:

uofaengr

Enlightened
I agree the Beta has high CRI, but it is not rated for 10440, its just a light some people choose to run 10440 in for a few seconds at a time. Im glad its working for you.

Does the 10440 still give you the 1 lumen low?, which I find very useful...

No, it's not rated for 10440 at all, and I wouldn't want to run it on high for more than a few seconds anyway since it'd seriously drain that small battery. If it's going to be my only light for the day or night, I want the option of more than 85 lumens if I need it. Always have a spare Eneloop on me when I carry it for backup or if I want low 1 lumen mode back.

It loses low mode on 10440. Most recent estimate yields 25-30 lumens on low which for general purpose is useful for me as the first mode.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
… Always have a spare Eneloop on me when I carry it for backup or if I want low 1 lumen mode back.

It loses low mode on 10440. Most recent estimate yields 25-30 lumens on low which for general purpose is useful for me as the first mode.

great options!
I agree the 1 lumen is not needed as often, and 25 lumens is a very useful brightness for the majority of use I make of a single aaa light

thanks for the conversation, I learned from it.. Im actually afraid to venture into LiIon.. your back up Eneloop strategy makes me more curious to find out what the 10440 experience is about… Though I would still be more comfortable with a light that was built to take both battery voltages by design, and with factory approval I would consider an Eagletac aaa in that role, its offered in N219 too :) (wait a minute! youre about to cost me money.. LOL!)

uofaengr

Enlightened
great options!
I agree the 1 lumen is not needed as often, and 25 lumens is a very useful brightness for the majority of use I make of a single aaa light

thanks for the conversation, I learned from it.. Im actually afraid to venture into LiIon.. your back up Eneloop strategy makes me more curious to find out what the 10440 experience is about… Though I would still be more comfortable with a light that was built to take both battery voltages by design, and with factory approval I would consider an Eagletac aaa in that role, its offered in N219 too :) (wait a minute! youre about to cost me money.. LOL!)
Yep the Eagletac AAA with 219 would be the way to go. I wish Prometheus would also come out with a classy 4.2v blaster, no PWM, as well in copper. Not sure if I've seen a review seeing how it performs, but with other Eagletacs I've read about running Li-ions, there's a good chance it won't retain moonlight.

fnsooner

Enlightened
I run 10440s in my Preon. It puts out about 300 lumens. I carry it when I need something small and light. Here is a link to some tests. LINK It is pretty amazing actually.

Hey all, I am quoting myself for context. I have been carrying a Preon for years using a 10440. 4sevens had a run of warms that I purchased about five of. I am now down to my last warm head. Any AAA flashlights out there that work with 10440s these days? Warm temp preferred.

Edit** I also carry the Preon 2 with one 10440 and a dummy cell. So if there is a 2 AAA light out there that will work with this configuration, I would also be interested. Also warm temp preferred.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Dusty old thread here (lol) but Peaks would be an option ... lots of different sized hosts available to fit the Eiger (bezel / light-engine) too.

fnsooner

Enlightened
Dusty old thread here (lol) but Peaks would be an option ... lots of different sized hosts available to fit the Eiger (bezel / light-engine) too.

Yeah, I wasn't sure if I wanted to start a whole new thread or just revive this one.

I did a quick google search on your suggestions and didn't come up with much. I am not quite the flashaholic I once was, so I am not wanting to spend a ton. I see some gen 1 preons on ebay that will handle 4.2VDC. I figured I would check here for other options before I pulled the trigger.

I have been kicking along with a couple of ZebraLights, the preons, and a couple of Meteors the last few years. All warm.

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
purchased about five of. I am now down to my last warm head. Any AAA flashlights out there that work with 10440s these days?
what happened there, did you loose the four heads?

HKE lists Ultratac K18 also with Nichia LED option but the light is pretty much out of stock everywhere. The light gets hot in 10440 High mode very fast so i mostly use Med and Low modes with 10440. I use the High mode for example for curing mosquito bites; it's the most effective method to kill the itchiness but the heat can also burn the skin and leave scarves.

fnsooner

Enlightened
what happened there, did you loose the four heads?

What up Kreisl.

Yeah, over the years they have all quit working or have been lost. If I knew then what I know now, I would have bought a dozen of them.

HKE lists Ultratac K18 also with Nichia LED option but the light is pretty much out of stock everywhere. The light gets hot in 10440 High mode very fast so i mostly use Med and Low modes with 10440. I use the High mode for example for curing mosquito bites; it's the most effective method to kill the itchiness but the heat can also burn the skin and leave scarves.

I will look into the K18. The Preons get pretty hot too on high. They default to low when clicked on but I can quick click to high for short uses. I like the clickie on the Preon. I wonder if the K18 head would work on the Preon body? I'll check it out.​

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
hi man, the K18 requires a long-press to turn on. if you're used to Preon clickies (short-press), then you might not like the long-presses on the K18. on the K18 the rubber button material wears down fast, so one should get the later versions with longer head hosting a metal cap button. i once had a blue Foursevens Preon II but can't remember lego'ing; i sold it, it wasn't a keeper, never mind. I wouldn't do the lego'ing (if it worked), the mismatch would look awful.

this is a good thread. not many 1xAAA/10440 flashlights worth mentioning exist. people have abused 10440 in Maratac, LD01 (some versions), Preon, Tank007 but that's operation beyond spec.

nitebrite

Enlightened
How is it that it can run in similar lights but not the Maratac? As in similar I mean same driver and emitter. It sounds like he is just protecting himself. Spoiler: I have run it in a Maratac for many hours. With no ill effects. Do so at your own risk.

Latest posts