What happened to everyone?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Re: What Happened To CPF's ?

i kind of come and go in waves .going where my interest is at in my life. but always come back to cpf. i feel as if some of you all are family

nbp

Flashaholic
Re: What Happened To CPF's ?

I have found it mostly "still there" though I'm rather green. Definitely slow on some days compared to past traffic stats (at least before the weird doxxing/ typhoon last year) but I think CPF is kind of like the quiet coffee-house of discussion, I still find it a bit more refined than other forums, perhaps because it's boiled down to lots of the die-hards?

Probably largely a demographics thing too.

Now that we have all those dang kids off our lawn we can just sit around in peace. ;)

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I'm into millennial toys now (spinners) but have been back at lights lately after a multi year slow down.

I like the ones that make sounds when you spin them. Very relaxing.
Took my Copper & Black MecArmy fidget spinner and did a relaxing, short video on my ASMR channel on YouTube a couple of days back.

Yup, I have an ASMR channel along with my regular channel on YouTube. Honestly, ASMR community of content creators is even nicer than the flashaholic community.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I come here more in the fall and winter due to the inherent uptick in flashlight use due to less sunlight.

ghostguy6

Enlightened
I had to take a sabbatical as my wallet started to cry every time I logged in. Now that I have a mortgage I just cant afford any new toys I figure its safe to log in a few times a week.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I had to take a sabbatical as my wallet started to cry every time I logged in. Now that I have a mortgage I just cant afford any new toys I figure its safe to log in a few times a week.

Ironically, this hobby of ours' is one of the cheapest on the planet.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i have never been to bright. but then i head a few head injuries i mean crazy scary injuries . but i have cool shoes

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I check in every now and again. :wave:
Maybe because of the social isolation and pandemic I started reading some CPF again and I bought a bunch of lights in 2020- 2021 after a few year hiatus.

Here's 20yrs of my CPF history in a picture.
ACtC-3eViCQxCxbRxTgRo3Ga84tV7Vc8vxO1V8aiL7oITbR5ULX6B4H4lgAFkHtOuyz-Voj7AvYLqfygQEnJKe3bFFqgjF2EyJbYh_0vKaG2-vZ5kJl3EOlCX9fxmEjKxdrieDY9Ntl51zDKncMVdupV4mNj=w1134-h732-no

On the left is a Photon I (no switch) that predated CPF and white LED's. This one came with a yellow LED, but later with the help of CPF I did my first mod and converted it to white Nichia BS LED.
Up next is a CMG Infinity at about 3lm. :candle:CMG also started with colored LEDs, but I wrote directly to the owner and arranged to get one of the first white LED's, he didn't think they would sell well because the yellow ones were brighter. That v1 light started flickering and was warranty replaced with this v2 light that reversed the battery direction to the normal + forward and has worked ever since and survived quite a few cave adventures on the top of my helmet as an always on backup.

The little guy is the venerable Arc AAA which I discovered through CPF. I owned some black ones before this, but this was a special run with a nicer LED, maybe a Nichia BS or CS and lasted quite a few years on my keychain.

Fast forward twenty years to what I consider top of the line AA and AAA production lights, the EagTac D3A with Luminus SST-20 4000K 95+ HiCRI LED, and a Prometheus 4-7s Preon 1 MKIII with Nichia 219c 5000k 92+CRI.

The brightness, beam-shape and color have improved so much it's amazing. Oh and the clips have gotten better too.:p

nbp

Flashaholic
Fantastic Dave! It's funny the lights I have had, sold, and now have forgotten I ever owned like that CMG. Had a few Arcs as well. A great stroll down memory lane!

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fantastic Dave! It's funny the lights I have had, sold, and now have forgotten I ever owned like that CMG. Had a few Arcs as well. A great stroll down memory lane!

There are a few that came and went without leaving an impression. When I saved off the above picture I found this picture from April 2009 in my flashlight folder. There are lights here I don't remember owning and I don't seem to have anymore, like the large silver Maglight, the small silver Fenix E1 in the upper left (I don't know what this even is, but I had closeup picture) and the second CMG infinity (probably an ultra). As technology progressed, like many folk here, I sold or gave away a bunch of lights, but also kept a few early ones like the CMG, Arc and HDS B42 just to remember what the early tech was like. In 2009 there were still a few hotwires in the photo, but I was surprised there were no 4Sevens lights, so I searched my Gmail and it appears my first 4-7s order was November 2009 and until the recent Prometheus order the last David Chow 4-7s order in 2012.

Cave Dave's Collection - Circa April 2009
ACtC-3fELHJrGjUnZTYfdmBAW7vaptcTaiFZ0Q1gzUuTqkiVLYDqi6YOJY2HisuCiuyu8KAZ3HjQqxBM4ilnoIGWZvPupcikd0uwlx2VoOHifp5H5v5KRP2zKmYrIpTcNzhexQaZlqkCSwikJ_JaaG8AEot4=w800-h384-no

Latest posts