What is the best charger and 18650's for the money?

markr6

Flashaholic
Do you like the Opus 3100 equally as well for charging NiMH batteries?

I hardly use it for them. The few times I did, I didn't have any problems. But for NiMH I typically use my MAHA 801D since it's nice and easy for up to 8 cells. I don't really care about the numbers anymore since Eneloops hold their capacity well over the years.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought the Opus BT-C700, which is a dedicated NiMH/NiCd charger/analyzer. It won't do Li-ion.

It is pretty cheap these days, and got good a review from HKJ. When I compared that review with HKJ's review of the Opus BT-C3100 v2.2, I concluded that the C700 did a better job with NiMH. I can't remember the details anymore, so check both reviews.

For Li-ion, the mini-review by Bill Cushman led me to believe that the LiitoKala Engineer Lii-500 would be my pick over the C3100. I have never used either.

At present, the Nitecore DigiCharger D4 is all I have for Li-ion. It does not have any analyzer functions. The only reason I purchased it is because Illumn did not have any Xtar models on the day I was a walk-in customer. The D4 gets the job done, and can display voltage, current, and mAh for each of its four channels.

After the software is fixed, I will take a long look at the SkyRC MC3000 analyzer. It will be hard to resist.

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
I was about to get an Xtar VC2 Plus today as a travel charger (2 slots for NiMH or Li-Ion), but the lack of a voltage readout killed the deal. That time remaining is stupid. I like a voltage readout so I can check voltage instead of lugging around a DMM in a pinch.

Brett H

Newly Enlightened
I bought the Opus BT-C700, which is a dedicated NiMH/NiCd charger/analyzer. It won't do Li-ion.

It is pretty cheap these days, and got good a review from HKJ. When I compared that review with HKJ's review of the Opus BT-C3100 v2.2, I concluded that the C700 did a better job with NiMH. I can't remember the details anymore, so check both reviews.

For Li-ion, the mini-review by Bill Cushman led me to believe that the LiitoKala Engineer Lii-500 would be my pick over the C3100. I have never used either.

At present, the Nitecore DigiCharger D4 is all I have for Li-ion. It does not have any analyzer functions. The only reason I purchased it is because Illumn did not have any Xtar models on the day I was a walk-in customer. The D4 gets the job done, and can display voltage, current, and mAh for each of its four channels.

After the software is fixed, I will take a long look at the SkyRC MC3000 analyzer. It will be hard to resist.

Much appreciated info KeepingItLight and a Joe Bonamassa fan as well!! I just received two Xtar VP2s today from Xtar Direct; some amazingly fast service I might add (3 days from order date - California to Florida)! Since the VP2s charge Li-Ion, a dedicated NiMH such as this would be perfect for my needs.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Much appreciated info KeepingItLight and a Joe Bonamassa fan as well!!

Yeah, the version of Forever Young I have linked right now in my signature is one of my favorites. By the time the second chorus comes around you realize the vocalists have something special going on, and then Joe powers into a tasteful solo where he stays on the melody, and avoids overplaying.

Very nice stuff.

Brett H

Newly Enlightened
Opus BT-C700 is on the way and to arrive tomorrow. Thanks for the input KeepinItLight!

l0h

Newly Enlightened
Please forgive me for may be an obvious (or stupid) question. I am new to the world of Li-Ion rechargeable batteries. Until now I used the regular batteries in my light, but finally decided to look at cost effective option.

I just received a brand new Xtar VP2 charger and two brand new 18650 Nitecore NL188 (3200 mAh, 3.7V) batteries as a gift.
http://charger.nitecore.com/product/18650-li-ion-battery-nl188

Last night, following the instruction that came with VP2 charger, I moved the voltage option switch to the middle (to choose 3.6V voltage option) and chose the 0.25A as a charge current setting. Connected VP2 to the power and installed two Nitecore batteries in to the slots. Then I left it charging overnight .

In the morning I found that the red led became green (indicates that the charge is complete). That was a good sign.
But I was surprised to see the reading on the VP2 display. For both slots it showed 4.19V.
Again, maybe I am missing something or/and reading this incorrectly, but my assumption was that the charge on that battery should be 3.7V.

Does it mean that VP2 is overcharging my batteries? I really want to believe that it is not the case and I am just wrong.

May I ask the experts to explain this situation or/and point to what I understand/did wrong.

Kind Regards,
l0h

JB

Enlightened
In the morning I found that the red led became green (indicates that the charge is complete). That was a good sign.
But I was surprised to see the reading on the VP2 display. For both slots it showed 4.19V.
Again, maybe I am missing something or/and reading this incorrectly, but my assumption was that the charge on that battery should be 3.7V.

Does it mean that VP2 is overcharging my batteries? I really want to believe that it is not the case and I am just wrong.

Hi, 4.20V is the correct termination voltage for a 18650 battery. Secondly, after a period of rest (after finished charging) it is normal to see the voltage drop very slightly - hence you saw the reading of 4.19V.

3.7V is the nominal voltage of the battery. It does not mean the fully charged voltage. Basically, your VP2 charger is working perfectly (and it is a very good charger).

Also, in future you can use 1.00A current to charge the 18650. Using 0.25A means it will take a long time to fully charge.

Last edited:

Milw light

Newly Enlightened
Possible big problem there. I ordered Panasonic NCR18650B's & they took a real long time to arrive. They were advertised as made in Japan. When I got em the battery said made in Japan & the little battery boxes said made in China. I think they are counterfeit, the + top is slightly different than known original batteries. They had 3.6 volts & charged right up. BTW, I think the batteries were shipped from China.

ven

Flashaholic
Any pics? i have not seen any fake pany B cells tbh, sure some or maybe even all pany are now made in china or a factory was being built to support demand! stand to be corrected of course. Just recall reading about it some time back...........

Also as pretty much everything is made in china, there would be no real reason to doubt because the box has come from there.............imo anyway.

bbb74

Enlightened
Possible big problem there. I ordered Panasonic NCR18650B's & they took a real long time to arrive. They were advertised as made in Japan. When I got em the battery said made in Japan & the little battery boxes said made in China. I think they are counterfeit, the + top is slightly different than known original batteries. They had 3.6 volts & charged right up. BTW, I think the batteries were shipped from China.
Maybe the boxes were made in china?

I've only just received my first 18650s - keepower Panasonic ga's. They said assembled in china from cell and protection circuit made in Japan.

ateupwithgolf

Enlightened
I have an Olight M3XS-UT on the way with 4 Panasonic NCR18650B Protected 3400mAh cells (got these from Mtn Electronics). Two questions. 1. Should these fit? 2. I have a Nitecore i2 (2014) version that I paid $9.99 for. Would anyone recommend a VP2 charger over what I have and if so, why? Thanks!

LightMagic

Newly Enlightened
I use Nitecore D4. Works fine. Like the lcd display vs those cheap "ultrafire" that i have been using Haha

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an Olight M3XS-UT on the way with 4 Panasonic NCR18650B Protected 3400mAh cells (got these from Mtn Electronics). Two questions. 1. Should these fit? 2. I have a Nitecore i2 (2014) version that I paid $9.99 for. Would anyone recommend a VP2 charger over what I have and if so, why? Thanks!

I'm using a VP2 as I type. It's a nice, but dated charger. Very flexible for most all li-ion types and sizes going forward. Can't go wrong if you want to spend the $35 on it.

The NC i2 works, but is slower.

Chris

ven

Flashaholic
As Chris said, off the top of my head! voltage read out, 0.25/0.5/1a charge(latter quicker charging) settings for both bays, then 4.35v support if/when needed. Better build and still a nice simple display and UI via a single button.

I dont have an i2, i have an i4...........its been stashed away now for..............a long time! no contest imho, chalk and cheese but for cheap safe charger, the i2 makes a great choice compared to some stuff out there!!!

Other than the advantage of quicker charge times over the i2, its the V read out that sold it to me..........so useful!!

Its always a good idea imo to have more than one charger, for an obvious reason(failure) but maybe a place of work as well as home uses(save having to take it with you as an example).