What kind of people are into flashlights?

jellydonut

Enlightened
marine engineer.. 22

on board they are indispensable. ashore, they are nice to have, especially for hobbies (work on cars, computers).

of course, i have no need for as many of them as i have.. i'm a nerd. i'm not your average guy, for better and for worse.

MrLi

Newly Enlightened
I'm an IT guy, late 20s, and at where I work we get frequent power outages...dark hallways...

This is my next "phase" of hobbies. lol. but it's definitely growing on me everyday, started with a Fenix E05, and 2 months later BAM 9 flashlights sitting around...3 more on the way lol. That's after I discovered CPF.

There's something about asking myself..."what light should I take today ?"

Can't afford to do that with cars and cellphones :(

Jeff E.

Newly Enlightened
I'm a 38 yr old male with a wife and two kids, living in west Michigan. My passions include technology, media/graphic design, music and my kids. My faith in God is also important to me.

I recently started a small (but growing) new business doing interior digital signage systems, which is a perfect fit for my combined love of tech and design! Due to still being in the first two years of the startup phase, there's no extra money around here at the moment.....hoping that will change in the next 12-24 months! ;)

Unlike many here, I do NOT have a mechanically-inclined bone or muscle in my body. The only tools I own is a screwdriver and a pair of pliers, as everything else I use ends us breaking something. Needless to say, I'm not into mods or anything.

Always loved lights, even as a kid. Flashlights, stage lights, status / readout lights on electronics, heck....even firefly bugs. lol That being said, liking flashlights just feels 'normal' to me. Maybe it sounds a bit squirrely, but there's something cool about having a bunch of powerful, self-sustained light harnessed in something that you can carry with you. Being able to walk out to a dark Lake Michigan shoreline at night with nothing but my TK40 sitting quietly in my front sweatshirt pocket, and POW!...all of a sudden I can light up the shoreline in the middle of nothingness!

I'm just now really starting to delve into this hobby, but finding myself really gravitating towards two types of flashlights primarily; the very small, and the very large. Got the smalls (E15 and E05)...now if I could only land a few more big projects at work....the TK70, TM11, or SR90 are looking so good to me!! :naughty:

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
37 year old lawyer with wife and two kids. Always been an outdoorsy guy, and a light for a cmaping trip was the thing that made me fall in love with lights about 25 years ago. First good light was a surefire 6p incan with WOOOHOO 60 lumens!! Hey guys, look at this blaster!!

Now, I spend my outdoors time mostly walking the dog and finding a reason to use each of the three or four lights I have on me!!

LightJaguar

Enlightened
29 year old man. I'm about to become a full "grown up adult" at age 30 but show me a flashlight and I'm a kid again. Was in the Military some years ago, bought me a brinkman legend I believe AA that was in the same class and seemed to use the same bulbs as a mini mag. While in the Military I worked on Hover Craft and afterwards I got a job at a Hospital working on electrical/electronic equipment. Been there ever since and my Brinkman followed me. Tried doing an early mod with a mini mag led upgrade. That was ok but I wanted more. I yearned about buying a Luxeon III flashlight that was quite popular here awhile back.
Not rich by any means but I live a comfortable life. I'm starting to like knives and own a few guns.
At my job with the rest of the Engineering crew about 25% percent are into flashlights. I'm a bit responsible for that and there seems to be an arms race were a mini mag is the standard issue. I reign supreme however with my bored Surefire M2 with a XML drop in and a FM35. Also go a few LED lights in my work bag and a cheap Chinese light that I use as my main work horse.

budynabuick

Enlightened
60 Yr. old auto-body man. Loved em since i was a kid. But all the incans sucked the batts up so fast i was not into them very big. But with all the new tech led's, lux, etc, i just love-em!!! I play with them in the day time.

budynabuick

Enlightened
60 Yr. old auto-body man. Loved em since i was a kid. But all the incans sucked the batts up so fast i was not into them very big. But with all the new tech led's, lux, etc, i just love-em!!! I play with them in the day time at times.

Acid87

Enlightened
24 year old outdoor pursuits instructor. Currently work at GoApe in Aberfoyle YouTube it we have the longest zip line in the UK at the moment. Love being outside and loving in Scotland it's always cold and dark.

foxtrot29

Enlightened
32 year old police officer and my wife is one as well. Always been into lights, knives, EDC gear as long as I can remember. My wife? Not so much, but she tolerates my hobby... She appreciates a good piece of gear, but doesn't see the need for a "collection". I'd rate us as well off, but certainly not close to wealthy - I don't think my american counterparts get paid as much from what I hear however...

I wish I could go back in time and tell myself to have skipped out on every cheap knife or light I've bought... In the end I ended up replacing all the junk with good stuff anyway.

The_Police

Enlightened
18 year old community college student studying to be a computer repair technician. I grew up on a dairy farm where flashlights are useful when you have to check the dairy cows every night and possibly get a newborn calf put in the shed during a violent thunderstorm and pouring rain in the middle of the night. :) I have also found that flashlights are useful for a wide variety of things from changing oil in my truck, to inspecting the inside of my computer. I almost always have a flashlight on my belt, or at least in the same room as me. I'm into knives as well and I enjoy collecting them.

I have a decent collection of lights now, but I plan to expand after college when I have some more spare money to burn. I'm even such a flashaholic that I bought another light just this Tuesday... ha, collecting lights like a disease, once you buy your first nice light (the Fenix TK11 in my case) you're stuck with it. But that is what make us who we are, and I'll admit, I'm a Flashaholic and proud! :)

David McConnaughey

Newly Enlightened
People who are into flashlights are generally people who do things. At the most basic level flashlights are tools. The biggest difference between a wrench and a flashlight is that one often needs a flashlight to use the wrench in the dark.
This is very true. A curiousity about many things in general is also a frequent trait I have noted also

OfficerSheepDog

Newly Enlightened
33, Active Military, outdoorsman, caver, and while I don't think of my self as a survivalist (I prefer to think of myself as "self-reliant), I have been called that by others. Don't have alot of money, so, as another CPF'er on here says "I'm to poor to buy cheap"...hence all my Surefires...I take that philosophy into my other gear as well...all my stuff meats a good median, and will survive anything the Zombies (or Commies) can throw at it.
Same as me, but not a caver, Owner of Sigrids Bakery (Add a dot com if you like to see my sweets lol)

I wouldn't call it a survivalist either but I would think I am Prepared for anything!

PS: Angle of war I think you would love to read *SheepDog* By Dave Grossman.

Its the reason for my user name.

Last edited by a moderator:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Retired chemist that just likes lights. Wish I had some real needs for all this illumination, but that's okay. We all have to have some toys.

Geoff

jackknifeh

Newly Enlightened
Depends on what you mean by "into". I have needed flashlights all my life. My work has demanded them. Knives also but you can say I'm into knives but not flashlights (right now anyway). I am just becoming aware of how far the flashlight technology has come in the past 20 or 30 years. I now have a flashlight that uses a single AAA battery that is better than the Mini-maglite (2 AA batteries) that I've used since around 1988 or so. When I hear the phrase "into" flashlights I think of the people who buy them like I have bought knives and a lot of people who are far worse than me. As far as what kind of people are "into" them I'd guess people from about all walks of life, but mostly people who have a useful need for them. That's when we get an appreciation of something.

Jack

Galvnometer

Newly Enlightened
Electrician 35. I use them in work all the time. I also use them for urban exploring in very dark places such as mines, old air raid shelter tunnels etc plus I also use them for light painting when I'm doing low light photography. I use them when I am djing to find things in the dj box which more often than not is dark. They come in handy when I'm walking home late on a Saturday night down the unlit lanes by my house too. I have been into flashlights since I was about 5 and I would endlessly dismantle and reassemble some rubbish old torch my dad had.

Jrubin

Newly Enlightened
What professions do they normally do, how old are they, are they male or female?, do they have large sums of money? Oh and are any flashaholics bankers or finance people?

55 year old IS Administrator. Use lights and knives/multi tools almost daily. Dark places are great, gives me an excuse to use my lights.

BaldGuy45

Newly Enlightened
46 year old male. Displaced worker /now medical field student. I have always been big into firearms and knives, but bought my first "real" flashlight when the 6p came out and nobody really knew anything about them. Been hooked ever since. I really dont know alot about all the tech specs, just know what I like when I see them.
By the way, new member, first time posting.

Burgess

Flashaholic
to Jrubin and BaldGuy45 --

Welcome to CandlePowerForums !

:welcome:
_