What lights have you bought due to CPF peer pressure?

Maxbelg

Enlightened
1.)Malkoff modules! I now have a M60W, M61HCRI, M61HCRIL and have the following on the way: M91, M61HCRILL, M30W. They are great in different hosts!
2.)HDS I'm happy with my HCRI Clicky
A lot of others as well, but I would have bought them anyway.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
A few that I've gotten, that I didn't particularly need at the time, are the Fenix E01, QMini AA, and the Zebralight SC50w. I'm most pleased with the Zeeb, but still happy with the others.

Geoff

afraidofdark

Enlightened
Ha peer pressure? That has a negative connotation, doesn't it?

I think a more apt description of what happens when a new light comes out is ... feeding frenzy :)

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
HDS High CRI Clicky: I got curious about the HDS Clicky because it was the only light I'd read about on CPF that was universally praised in spite of the price. I had to know what the big deal was, so I bought the high CRI model. I've been extremely pleased with this light.

Zebralight SC51w: I got some birthday money and was told to "buy a flashlight", so even though I was so happy with the HDS that I had largely lost interest in new lights, I ordered an SC51w based on the near-universal praise I read about it here on CPF. It's a great little light, but the accidental activation problem relegates it to nightstand duties.

--flatline

Loomin

Newly Enlightened
Mac's custom 3300L... I just ordered it a couple days ago, but boy am i excited!!!

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
pakuuI

Arrived in the mail today. 2 as gifts, 1 for meee!

bladerunner

Newly Enlightened
Not so much from peer pressure...more like from education from CPF peers.
Back in the day...
ARC aaa... the light to have in 2002
surefire e2e... had to see just what was so nice about surefire lights. KL1 head installed to extend run time...but the incan sure is nice.
Princeton Tec..surge/rage/TK40/TK20.... all nice incans.
UK2L... not made anymore. nice 2cell 123 incan.
Mag LED upgrades... I've enjoyed every one of them. I like run time..
There must be more around here...but you get the idea.. I've learned a great deal from CPF and haven't spent super big bucks...I let you guy's do that...haha enjoy!!

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like to think of myself as an independent thinker, and I do a fair amount of research, but some lights did have a fairly large component of CPF influence in them.

The last one was the Sunwayman V10r. I had not been very happy with most so called infinetly variable level lights except the Photon, so I was quite sceptical. However I do have a Sunwayled M10R and it's been a top quality light, and I liked the size and quality of the build so.... because everyone on CPF was raving about the new V10R I went for it (being Titanium helped too). Glad I did.... excellent light... good edc. Even if the LED is more cool white than I would like.

.... Here is one I should have listened more to CPF and NOT bought it.... I paid a lot for the JetBeam TCR2 which I bought on my own decision, and am disappointed with the driver and it's inability to work properly with primary CR123A cells, even after it was so called "Tested" prior to shipment. It has other nice qualities so maybe it will workout. BUT... it could have been so much better... love the TI build quality though.

My First Surefire was definetly CPF influence all the way... not sure how long it took me to get the C2, but then I was real believer.... and of corse after that CPF made me check out the Malkoff drop-ins.... that was a good move at the time. Even if I did have one fail...

Yup that Stanley 35w HID was pure CPF and that LOW price and the promise of mega Lumens....

I can't remember how I got my first NovaTac.... a lot of that was my own research on the interface and because I love programmable things.... but I never would have even known about them if it was not for CPF.

Since CPF is part of my research on most lights it's hard to draw the line.... Now maybe a hundred or more lights later I don't need much help.... but eveny now and again it's good to try something different that people here are excited about.... there is always the market place if it does not work out.

I'm happy to say CPF never convinced me that the RaLights clip was not the ugliest thing in the world... after that I can't believe there is not a beautiful clip for the Rotary....

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wasn't "into" flashlights until I came here so most lights I have I heard about them here first I suppose.

I was given a Surefire 6P before I ever came here. I was appreciative of the gift but wasn't particularly impressed by the light other than at the time it seemed bright.

Because of that I've never purchased any Surefire's. They seemed expensive and behind the times so the boards attraction to Surefire never had that impact on me.

I did get (and like) the ITP A3 extended after seeing all the reviews on here. I wanted an infinitely variable light and couldn't find any until I did a search on here. At the time bought it (Proton Pro) it was several years after they were introduced and didn't seem to be all that popular (at the time I bought it).

I recently bought 2 Zebralights after resisting for a long time...too much fanboy and not enough analysis on here (IMO) but I wouldn't have heard of them were it not for CPF.

I've done a little research on CPF regarding headlamps and own a few but I can't say (other than the Zebralights) that any were massively popular here...maybe the PT EOS.

I've used CPF more for knowledge rather than for recommendations on specific lights.

I just bought some Eneloops (heard about them only here) and a smart charger but not the $50 model recommended here (I forget the name).

I don't even own a Solarforce (have never owned a Maglight) and don't have a Quark or any AW batteries :)

I have a XM-L drop-in but still prefer XP-G. Other than a dive light I don't own any 2 18650 lights or any lights with more than one battery for that matter.

I can about beam quality (however I define it) more than CPF seems to. I did learn about forward clickies here and if I have to have a clickie forward is the direction I prefer :)

Last edited:

notrefined

Enlightened
I bought an HDS high CRI twisty because of all the gotta-have-its...and I'm glad I did, because now I KNOW it does nothing for me and I don't have to wonder :)

bought a nailbender drop-in because of all the praise....sold it and went with malkoff, which I *feel* much better about, even if there is no functional difference

built an ROP mostly because of all the "you're not a real flashaholic if you haven't"...then went and built two more, they make me smile :)

I have also personally "seen the light," and hope to influence as many peiople as possible to try high CRI xp-gs, the best thing to happen to a flashaholic since glowing tungsten :D

Samy

Enlightened
Fenix E01 and Fenix TK-41.

They have both been very useful and i would be lost without them!

cheers

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
After reading many positive comments from enthusiastic fans on these forums I have bought a few different lights:

I bought an E01 and hated it - angry purple tint made me angry. I traded it away.

I bought a Nitecore D10 and loved it - it is now my #1 EDC light.

I bought a Surefire A2 Aviator - I don't EDC it, but I do like to take it camping. It throws really well for its size and the incan beam is so much better with the greens & browns in the bush. I haven't been tempted to buy other Surefire lights, but I'll keep and use the A2.

I modded a Mag2D into a ROP - I loved it so much I did a bunch more mods, my modded Maglites are my favourite non-EDC lights.

I bought an ITP A3 upgrade - it's a really good light for the price and well worth getting.

I bought a Zebralight H501 and H60w - I don't use them all the time, but they are really useful for certain applications, they are my main 'hands free' camping lights. The H60w is a bit too heavy to use as a head lamp, but I love it for a hands free light clipped onto a pocket (or whatever).

So, yeah - the E01 is the only light I was really disappointed in - I much prefer my L0D or A3 for the same sort of light.

flashflood

Enlightened
I should also mention my TK35, which was not a product of generalized CPF peer pressure, but pressure specifically from fellow CPFer DHart a couple of months ago. I already had a TK45 and he was quite insistent that I just had to have the TK35 as well. I caved and am glad I did.

Just a couple of nights ago, I heard a loud BANG in my neighborhood that sounded like a transformer blowing up. This was a situation that called for throw, so I instantly reached for the TK35 and went to check it out (to make sure it didn't start a fire nearby).

Z-Tab

Enlightened
I resisted P60 Hosts and Drop-Ins, but all of the satisfied Malkoff customers convinced me. My conclusion... Malkoff makes incredible lights and has the best customer service that I have ever experienced in any industry.

beerwax

Enlightened
i bought my MJP extreme III because of the huge anti MJP press that was prevalent here for a while - just to see for myself. and its absolutely wonderful. great beam tint UI fit and finish performance. and i bought a couple of 4 sevens lights cos of the positive press they get here , the ones before the xpg are great but after the xpg i find the tint disappointing. and i bought a titaner because of the almost total lack of press here (at the time) .

my current mission is to get a PEAK (because lots of folks rave about em) but progress is slow.
guess i better go look at pictures of a tk35 .
cheers

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
I should add a few that I haven't mentioned:
  • Fenix LD20. This was my first proper quality flashlight. I bought it after signing up here and reading about leds due to being disappointed with my LL P14. The LD20 is still, in my opinion a great, useful, practical, bright light. So functional, and it's never let me down. Still a good choice. Runs great on eneloops. I'd never heard of the Fenix brand prior to finding CPF.
  • Quark mini-AA. I've used this as my keychain light for quite a few Months now, and it's been excellent. It's been pushed off my keychain by the Preon ReVO S2 SS, because the ReVO is smaller. I might relegate the mini AA to car glovebox duty or similar.
  • Fenix TK35. My first venture into 18650's. It's a goodie. So bright for such a small light, excellent beam pattern, and in my case, the tint is fine. No regrets with this light. It's a keeper!
  • Zebralight SC600. This was purely from reading about it on here. I'd never heard of the company Zebralight, but I'm looking forward to getting my hands on my new SC600 which is enroute from China as of now...
  • Fenix TK70. Still pending. It will be purchased purely for the 2200 ansi lumens WHAAAAAT!

A couple of other light-related things I have bought after reading about them on CPF:
  • eneloops. I'd never heard of eneloops before I came here, and then it was eneloop, eneloop, eneloop, everywhere I looked. That certainly required further investigation. Not many people in NZ seem to know about them yet even now.
  • Maha MH-C9000. Excellent purchase!
  • Maha MH-C808M. For D cells. Would also be great for anyone with an 8 AA cell flashlight like the TK45 or TK41. Charge all 8 in one go at a fast rate (.5C or if you're in a real hurry, even 1C if they're eneloops).
  • AW 18650's

Harry999

Enlightened
Several lights I would never have purchased were it not for CPF. My favourites & still in current use are the following:

Zebralight SC51, SC51c, H51c & H51Fc
Nitecore D11v2 & EX11v2
Surefire E2D LED
Quark AA & 123 regular
Quark mini AA/123
Preon REVO
Jetbeam RRT-0 S2

There are others I have purchased because of the buzz but have not been impressed with either because of the light or personal experience with the manufacturer. They do not get used and I am considering selling or trading them.

Sent from my smart phone