What makes you pay more for a flashlight?

MX421

Enlightened
I spend more than $20 on a flashlight for quite a few things:

Hi CRI
Compact Size
More Efficient Driver
waterproof rating
Interchangeable light engine (ie P60/Malkoff host/engine combo)
UI (including hidden SOS/strobe modes)
Build quality
brightness
Throw
Flood

At least these what i can immediately think of that are on my list for varying lights.

Stoneking

Enlightened
Build quality and reliability are the two most important factors for me. I want lights that can deal with a rough days work while being consistently reliable and something that will stand the test of time.

Sabrewulf

Newly Enlightened
I like modified flashlights, I will pay a little more knowing it's a reputable guy with reputable lights.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Mostly durability, reliability, and a proven track record for both. Let me put it this way.... True story: An Aimpoint PRO was on a rifle that was inside of a house that caught on fire! House literally burned to the ground. Optic was recovered. The rubber tether on the caps (older Aimpoint PRO model) had melted on top of the optic. However, after it was removed from the damaged rifle and mounted on a new one, it still worked!

I'll happily pay for the flashlight equivalent of that! Also, toss the light out of a six story window onto concrete. Go pick it up, and the light still works. Even if the lens is cracked. That's worth paying extra for.

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
Mostly durability, reliability, and a proven track record for both. Let me put it this way.... True story: An Aimpoint PRO was on a rifle that was inside of a house that caught on fire! House literally burned to the ground. Optic was recovered. The rubber tether on the caps (older Aimpoint PRO model) had melted on top of the optic. However, after it was removed from the damaged rifle and mounted on a new one, it still worked!

I'll happily pay for the flashlight equivalent of that! Also, toss the light out of a six story window onto concrete. Go pick it up, and the light still works. Even if the lens is cracked. That's worth paying extra for.

I am happy with my Aimpoint PROS. I think it is funny how it says on the box "A SPECIALLY DESIGNED ELECTRONIC RED DOT SIGHT FOR LAW ENFORCEMENT USE. FOR SALE BY AUTHORIZED AIMPOINT DEALERS ONLY- UNAUTHORIZED EXPORT PROHIBITED." :laughing:

340pd

Newly Enlightened
It's Quality. You get what you pay for. And the fact that it's what we like. A guy I work with bought a 1500 bike last summer I told him he was nuts. Then he started talking about the bike the same way I talk about flashlights.its what he's into so he does the research and gets the good stuff. So he rides a 1500 bike and uses a AA Mini-Maglite. I ride a Walmart special and have Malkoff's and HDS

Just for the record a bike costing $1500 is the equipment of buying a AA Mini-Maglite. Serious bikes, like Malkoff & HDS flashlights cost far more than your friends.

To answer the OPCs question, reputation, help from this forum, and country of origin.

Last edited:

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any of the usual reasons are contributing factors, quality, fit, finish, material, good tint, CCT, CRI, durability, reliability, beam quality, and any number of specific interests at a given point in time.

Sometimes it is simple as I want it because I see some value in the light in some perspective or another.

Lights in general, lighting is a critical resource since it gets dark repeatably with regularity most times of the year in most parts of the world and even in the day the sun does not reach everywhere, and humans can't see for squat in the dark. Ever been stuck in a pitch black building with dangerous machinery when the power goes out and the lights with it? Lot of value in having reliable light, even better if it meets all the little nitpicks as well.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I buy flashlights mostly based on performance and reliability. Form follows function. They are tools. I expect my tools to perform their function every time I need them.
That said, I do own some which were purchased outside of this, maybe just for how they look, or for an interesting new Technological feature.
For those that I carry often, I pay as much as I can afford for what I need.

g4dg3t5

Newly Enlightened
The voices in my head, or the amount of eerie sounds I hear at night. That will dictate the cost/size of the torch mostly...

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Just for the record a bike costing $1500 is the equipment of buying a AA Mini-Maglite. Serious bikes, like Malkoff & HDS flashlights cost far more than your friends.

To answer the OPCs question, reputation, help from this forum, and country of origin.

It was an example. And was that supposed to read equivalent ?

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
A few things that make me buy and keep a light. Performance, size and style/material. But it's the user interface and how it feels in hand the really determine what light I like to carry.
To me the best feeling light is my Chameleon, but to large to EDC a lot of time. I'm really liking my Ti Tool for EDC.
Also I like the light to come on at a decently bright first mode. When I need a light, I want it to come on at 30 to 50 lumen at least. So UI plays a big part in my choice. Oh yeah $$ also factors in.
How a switch feels is also a big part of the feel.
I don't care if it's a tail switch, or side switch, or a twisty. If a twisty it must be smooth and easy to use one hand. If clicky it must have a positive feel, and no delay to turn on!

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I am happy with my Aimpoint PROS. I think it is funny how it says on the box "A SPECIALLY DESIGNED ELECTRONIC RED DOT SIGHT FOR LAW ENFORCEMENT USE. FOR SALE BY AUTHORIZED AIMPOINT DEALERS ONLY- UNAUTHORIZED EXPORT PROHIBITED." :laughing:

Yeah..... I don't think I've found a light that can be turned on, and then left on, for years. Unlike my PRO. But who knows? Maybe one day..... ;)

LGT

Enlightened

Just for the record, your bicycle is a .....
And what the heck is a "serious" bike? One that only serious people ride? You can get some really decent shimano derailleurs shifters and cassettes on a $1500 bike. As components continue to advance, what was expensive and advanced and only on high end bikes years ago is now available on a many bikes now.
Pardon my sidetrack LRJ88.

Last edited:

LRJ88

Enlightened
Just for the record, your bicycle is a .....
And what the heck is a "serious" bike? One that only serious people ride? You can get some really decent shimano derailleurs shifters and cassettes on a $1500 bike. As components continue to advance, what was expensive and advanced and only on high end bikes years ago is now available on a many bikes now.
Pardon my sidetrack LRJ88.

It's fine, i've been following the whole bike/flashlight comparison deal but i feel it's using the somewhat wrong standards for comparison when it comes to a $1,500 bike being like a Maglite and not a serious bike.

A $40 bike that you pick up used but still working would be pretty much like the Maglite, everyone knows about them and if they get lost or something happens to them you aren't really heartbroken, it's still just something to get you from point A to point B, right?

A $1,500 bike would be more akin to higher consumer grade flashlights today, your Fenix, Klarus, Emisar (due to complexity and mod potential more than the price) etc. that are leaps and bounds above the common Maglite in almost all aspects, but less people get them since "why should i pay $70 for a flashlight, it only lights stuff up, my $5 xxxxxfire does that too" and they don't know about the benefits of them.

Then come the $10,000+ bikes, your HDS, Malkoff, Surefires, flashlights whose quality and workmanship border on custom and who are generally leading in one area or another over the grade below them, you get them because you know you can beat the snot out of them and they'll keep working, they're more or less the best you can get for their intended purposes and the price reflects that.

All this being said as you mentioned too what used to be mindblowing and cost you an arm and a leg (1,000 lumens anyone?) is pretty much staple today, as is parts that used to be really hard to manufacture for bikes that can now be milled or molded at a fraction of the price with the same quality that you used to have to pay premium for. Technology advances and that flashlight/bike that you paid out your behind for 10 years ago will have an equivalent today at a lower price and while it doesn't make it an unfair comparison it also makes it harder to compare tiers.