What should the run time on an EDC light be?

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
You have no way of knowing what you'll need and when you'll need it!

I carry an SL TT 2L as primary EDC. Three LEDs with long runtime, plus a Xenon bulb if I need more. I probably should put a pair of spare 123s in my truck, but haven't so far. (and they are all tied up in super bright on the edge incandescent mods just now anyway!)

I carry an ARC AAA as backup and discrete use EDC. And a spare battery for that is in my pager.

So at a worst case scenario, I have 10+ hours of SOME light on me at all times!

And sometimes my Ultra hangs around my neck on a lanyard too!

MY

Enlightened
Nascar. I think that you are fortunate that you can carry all those items and not get "noticed." Many places require that their employees be more discrete in what is hanging on their belts or in their pockets. I would say the more power (pun intended) to you if you can carry backups and other accessories. For others who can't though, a one light EDC is the only option. Unfortunately, until the LS4 comes along, in my opinion there is no one EDC light that is both bright and with long run time (>2+ hours).

Cheers.

gyverpete

Enlightened
Regardless of a particular light's rated runtime, just remember what's important is how much runtime is left on the battery in there at the moment. If the battery is mostly used up when you need it, the rated runtime of your EDC light is a moot point.
And regulated lights in particular give little warning before dim moon mode kicks in.
To avoid ending up with a dead or uselessly dim light, you can either carry spare batteries or change the batteries prematurely, or carry back-up. I think a back-up light is the best option(even if only a photon style keychain light)since other things can also go wrong with any light, esp. when you need it most.
And don't forget spare bulbs for incandescents.
While most of our use of flashlights is casual, it's possible you'll need your light to get you out of a serious situation and you'll appreciate having been over prepared.

I EDC an ARC LS and 24/7C an AAA.

paulr

Flashaholic
I agree with the idea of carrying a Photon or equivalent as backup. However, an Arc LS will run for 2 hours or so on a 123, and a Firefly with MM+ should be tuneable to run for at least that long. Also, the Arc LS in moon mode is still a very useable light, at least as bright as a typical 5mm keychain light or Arc AAA. Mine has dropped to moon mode a few times without my even realizing it was in moon mode until I noticed that the beam spot was smaller than I was used to. Supposedly it will run in moon mode for several hours, but I've always changed out the battery when it drops to moon mode.

I've had the idea (inspired by Brightnorm) of setting up a Firefly with a 3x123 battery tail and a Downboy set up for about 150 mA to an R flux Luxeon. That should be able to run at Arc LS brightness for over 12 hours in a still very compact (long but thin) package. I probably won't actually try to make such a thing since I'm not that concerned about runtime, but it gives an idea of what's possible.

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
The A2 kinda provides its own backup with the resistored 3 LEDs, which should be Arc AAA bright for hours after the incandescent drops out of regulation. I'm EDC-ing it, though it's a tad large. 1/2" shorter would be better, like the PT Rage I was carrying (in Impact II body w/the clip) and keeping recharged once a month.

I just swapped my Arc AAA for a Photon II I just modified with a violet LED. The Arc is better but I want to try the new LED out.

No need to carry much on me, though, as I have mucho lights in the house, in the car, and I have a bunch ready for the next office I end up in (if I can ever find one in this f'ing economy). Rare time indeed I'm not in one of those places.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
sure, carrying more than one of some lights will get you noticed, but for something as small as an arc aaa or photon, or even an arc aa or sonic can always be dropped into the pocket for backup duty.

paulr

Flashaholic
I don't think any light can really be its own backup, for the simple reason that it doesn't cover the failure mode of losing the whole light or leaving it somewhere. That said, a yellow-LED Photon II (runs on one CR2032 cell instead of two CR2016's as needed by the shorter wavelength colors) makes enough light for EDC backup purposes, and will run for many hours on its coin cell. And it's so small it practically disappears on your key chain.

RevDavid

Enlightened
I am not sure I agree that redundant systems in lights do not constitute backup. (But I carry a photon II red on my keychain.)

If I could only have one light for some reason, I think the A2 would make sense.

Thank goodness we can have practically all the lights we want. ...no wait... all we need. Uhhh... that's not right either.

Good thing we can have more than one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

David <><

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't consider that a "failure mode"...well, for me maybe, not for the light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
But, sure, call it a half-backup. The regulator could short out and render the whole thing useless, but at least it's nice a burned out lamp can't.

But, yeah, have a Photon or knockoff thereof on you somewhere, why not?

Blikbok

Enlightened
I have three ways of dealing with runtime on the EDC. First, I try to always pair lights: one bright and at least one hour runtime, and another which was more than sufficient for navigation and saftey, but ran much longer.
Secondly, I try to keep the smaller light fed with rechargeables. I can always start the day with a fresh cell if I feel like it. I may give up a little brightness or runtime, but I'm never trying to sqeeze more use out of a dying cell. So I'm looking forward to getting an Arc AA, since my AAA's are only 650mAh, but AA's go to 2000+.
Thirdly, I try to reserve my primary, non-rechargeable EDC lights for suprise use. If I have any feeling I'll need a light, I'll bring a bigger one. Preferrably with rechargeable cells.
I will be very excited to see the Arc LS4 and 5. Being able to adjust brightness to the task at hand should greatly extend practical runtime.

MY

Enlightened
It appears to me that run time on an EDC light will be rendered moot when a dimmable light like the LS4 arrives. Because of the dimmer, doesn't it make sense to make a LS4 type light with a 5 watt driven by a step up curcuit and a single 123 cell? The light at the brightest setting may only provide 30 minutes of light but one could always dim it down to get whatever level of light with a commensurate run time. The packaging would still stay small for EDC.

Latest posts