What type of batteries can be left in car under direct sunlight?

ruriimasu

Enlightened
Hi folks!

With all your knowlege on emergency backups, circuits and batteries, I hope to find an answer here.

I've been trying to have some sort of portable power supply (similar to photo insert) permanently stored in my car for powering equipment such as AC fan, etc... for spontaneous acts such as laying out a picnic mat to laze in a park, etc. I refer not to carry in/out the portable power since there is a high chance I will not have it when I needed it.

f4eaba1a18670baea85176a38187487b.jpg

The challenge is my car is always parked under direct sunlight (at least 8 hours daily) and the temperature can get to around 60°C (140F, could be higher). I know lithiums are out. How about lifepo4, can these with-stand the heat? My other option is car battery, maybe a deep cycle type, but I would prefer to have all these connections/sockets built into the battery casing instead of a separate power inverter. My main concern is to not have the battery explode or catch fire in the heat, and burn down my car and all the other cars parked in the same carpark. The power supply will not be charging or discharging while there isn't anyone around.

Can anyone advise if there is any suitable battery type to use in this scenario?

JJ

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
First, never leave it in direct sunlight. Ideally, under the seat would be the place to store it. Barring that, cover it with a something light colored to reduce direct heating.
Depending on the structure of your windows and door frames, there are sunlight powered fans that sit on the top of your window glass that work to keep fresh air coming into your vehicle without worrying about having rain come in through a partially rolled down window.
Also, window shades will help cut down on thermal heating as well.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
coolest place in a car is a bottom door pocket, under the seat is hotter.

actually lithium cells are the ones taking heat better than anything else, Panasonic cr123 rated for -40c to +70c. but i have a dash cam in my car that runs on li ion, i have it for over 5 years, no issues whatsoever.
i also have a cell phone in a center console for years also no issues.

ruriimasu

Enlightened
coolest place in a car is a bottom door pocket, under the seat is hotter.

actually lithium cells are the ones taking heat better than anything else, Panasonic cr123 rated for -40c to +70c. but i have a dash cam in my car that runs on li ion, i have it for over 5 years, no issues whatsoever.
i also have a cell phone in a center console for years also no issues.
Thanks. I've been hearing of lithium battery powered devices catching fire while charging. So am quite surprised when you recommended lithium cells. The power station I am interested in will have at least 20 pieces of 18650s. Will this be a problem? My biggest concern is fire. I don't think car insurance covers fire (own car) and property damage (to other cars) for these kind of fires.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. I've been hearing of lithium battery powered devices catching fire while charging. So am quite surprised when you recommended lithium cells. The power station I am interested in will have at least 20 pieces of 18650s. Will this be a problem? My biggest concern is fire. I don't think car insurance covers fire (own car) and property damage (to other cars) for these kind of fires.
li ions rechargeable are different from non rechargeable lithium, li ion do not take heat too well according to manufacturers. their temp ratings are lower. it may be ok in some cases or it may kill a li ion rechargeable cell. i had 18650s die due to heat in other devices, they just quietly died, no smoke no fire,
catching fire during charge is very different from storage, or even use.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I know this is a bit off topic but if it's something you don't want stolen then don't leave it in plain site.
A smash n grab klepto may make off with it so you end up without it and have broken glass to clean up.

Ok, back to topic.