What was your favorite/best flashlight of 2018

jimmy22Aus

Newly Enlightened
Lol, I tend to be lazy and pick the shortest thing to type. Remember the first time I short formed your name to MF and you thought I was calling you names? Lol, that was funny.

Also, Surefire tends to give names to some lights but, only model numbers to others. That's why I usually just stick to the model number.

I have been running it on primaries but, I do have a couple of unprotected 4.35V Sanyo UR16650ZTA 2500mAh's on the way to try. The protected KeepPower's I have now(same 2500's Gene sells)are way too tight fyi. I got one of them in it to try but, had to force it back out. Most of the time I will be sticking to primaries anyway though as I bought the Tactician and EDCL1-T mainly to use with a handgun and want to stick to primaries for that application.

The output is much lower on 16650's I've used Orbtronics.

I've found 2x 16340's ( 700Mah ) work better but at the expensive of run time, as far as I can tell their is no loss in peak output compared to 123a's but runtime is way less.

I don't use the 16650's anymore as it's really dim. It's like 700 lumens maybe even high 600's instead of 800 lumens peak output.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
The output is much lower on 16650's I've used Orbtronics.

I've found 2x 16340's ( 700Mah ) work better but at the expensive of run time, as far as I can tell their is no loss in peak output compared to 123a's but runtime is way less.

I don't use the 16650's anymore as it's really dim. It's like 700 lumens maybe even high 600's instead of 800 lumens peak output.

Yeah, I hear it's about 500-600 lumens. I wouldn't say dim but, there is a noticeable difference if you look for it. There are comparison pics in the Tactician thread that show the difference well.

Yep, no difference in output judging by the runtime/output graphs I have seen. I only have flat top unprotected 16340's right now so I haven't tried this combo yet. I have tried 2X LiFeP04 though and they work the same as primaries(runtime aside of course).

jimmy22Aus

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, I hear it's about 500-600 lumens. I wouldn't say dim but, there is a noticeable difference if you look for it. There are comparison pics in the Tactician thread that show the difference well.

Yep, no difference in output judging by the runtime/output graphs I have seen. I only have flat top unprotected 16340's right now so I haven't tried this combo yet. I have tried 2X LiFeP04 though and they work the same as primaries(runtime aside of course).

I tested it with a bunch of batteries. Did testing on my EDCL1T, Tactician and Fury DFT. In my local park.
cfde8ffd24cfeca9e688b102763d88ae.jpg
a2e2ce5f66e4ad30e4b9d6e4dbaf7fb7.jpg

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tested it with a bunch of batteries. Did testing on my EDCL1T, Tactician and Fury DFT. In my local park.
Nice pics👍. It's always fun comparing eh. I was just playing with my EDCL1-T in a giant industrial warehouse(didn't bring the Tactician). I am really liking the beam profile. I am glad I went with the EDCL1-T vs the EDCL2-T as it is already a large light and it is plenty bright enough for handgun ranges(more then enough for most situations). I do prefer the Tactician's MV beam for tighter indoor areas though as it's beam is much more even and the brighter spill helps with situational awareness in close quarters.

How do you like the DFT?

jimmy22Aus

Newly Enlightened
Nice pics[emoji106]. It's always fun comparing eh. I was just playing with my EDCL1-T in a giant industrial warehouse(didn't bring the Tactician). I am really liking the beam profile. I am glad I went with the EDCL1-T vs the EDCL2-T as it is already a large light and it is plenty bright enough for handgun ranges(more then enough for most situations). I do prefer the Tactician's MV beam for tighter indoor areas though as it's beam is much more even and the brighter spill helps with situational awareness in close quarters.

How do you like the DFT?

Yeah I tested it in a far Park because of the dense trees and open playing fields, I can test the beam profile and potentially candela be lumens, in thick forest the Tactician gives way better viewing but you really struggle to get clear vision beyond that 30 meter mark as it lights up the trees infront if you so well it's hard to see further down.

The EDCL1T gives nice throw but it's very narrow and the spill is weak in the same thick scrub it really doesn't give you a smooth beam for anything upclose.

The DFT with that REF reflector is a dream, it's like having the best of both, awesome useable spill ( very clean ) with a good penetrating hot spot almost a very clear white, EDCL1T is more green.

Also the DFT really was great as lighting up things at distance, seemed fine around 200 meters. Not the best thrower but considering the beam profile it's nice. If Cloud Defensive make the OWL in a handheld I'd use that.. 50,000 candela is pretty impressive.. DFT is around 22.5k

Oh the weekend I'll do beam shots again.

Last edited:

Yoshid1

Newly Enlightened
Emisar D4 probably I still get as big a kick from it as ever!

I am also crazy for the Milwaukee aaa penlight with the bite grip.
Cheap and simple snd dead reliable for me and has earned a place with the SC52 as an EDC too!

Hi do you have 10440's and have you tried to use them with that Milwaukee pen light? I just picked up that light, wondering if they will fit to buy some.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
2018 was an active search year for me, but no bites, waiting for the three big lights that eventually did arrive in the summer of 2019. I spent 2018 enjoying the thrill of my X45 and X65's and enjoying reminiscing with my other lights.