What watch you're wearing?

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those Caravelles tend to be bizarrely durable for such an inexpensive line of watches.
So true for this unit. After the lens got so scratched on my wrist, decided to let the dog carry it. This lasted for quite some time. My hand sewing gave out, I think.

I should not use these unless spending money on a overhaul? Probably not practical to get the lens smooth again?

That Seiko is auto wind.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Not sure what a sunburst dial is, but it is nice?
It's nice. But if you're the sort who likes to quickly glance at your watch when you're out and about, to tell the time, a sunburst dial is just going to annoy the crap out of you on a sunny day.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
So true for this unit. After the lens got so scratched on my wrist, decided to let the dog carry it. This lasted for quite some time. My hand sewing gave out, I think.

I should not use these unless spending money on a overhaul? Probably not practical to get the lens smooth again?

That Seiko is auto wind.
Polishing up a lens shouldn't be too difficult. Definitely worth it on an old watch that is still able to keep doing its job.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks! The implication then is to just use the Seiko because it is not worth servicing? I have kept it in case my primary watch fails and money or economic conditions are tight.

Any proven diy effective method to recommend for lessening the scratches?

Thanks to fixer, Monocrom and all of you.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
The easiest method is to take a soft cloth and try rubbing the lens with white toothpaste. Rub in, then wipe off. If that doesn't work, check online for scratch remover compound. Some have used scratch remover compound made for a car's headlights. But personally have no experience with that.

As far as servicing. Watches are weird in that they can keep perfect time, or very close to it; while being horribly in need of servicing on the inside. Can't explain why they are able to do that. But it is a very common thing in the watch world. You can't tell if a watch needs servicing just by checking to see if it's doing a great job of accurately keeping time. Generally speaking with modern-day watches, 10 years is a good rule of thumb. With older watches you're looking at closer to 7. Even if the watch hasn't been used continuously for that entire 7 to 10 years.

I mean, it's up to you. No harm in contacting an independent watch-maker and asking how much he'd charge for a service on that particular watch given its particular circumstances.

iacchus

Enlightened
I've been an automatic guy for a long time now, but needed something cheap and light and accurate to wear while I totally forget it's on my wrist.

I picked this up for a couple of sawbucks on sale. 43mm, indiglo, and light as can be (which surprised me w/ it having a brass case). It came with a leather band but I swapped that out for a much more comfortable zulu immediately.

20240314-203729.jpg

Pretty happy with it. I've heard these are super loud with the ticking, but that isn't something I'm experiencing at all. Nice lil quartz bit of kit.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
If you want super loud ticking, buy any Swatch model.
Had a couple in the 1990s. Couldn't sleep at night unless I buried them under several sheets of folded up bedding in a drawer. Even worse than the ticking is their Spring-bar attachments. After two strap changes they became too loose, and the bars would always work themselves partially free. Otherwise, great watches. But the loudness and the spring-bar issues were deal-breakers for me.

iacchus

Enlightened
If you want super loud ticking, buy any Swatch model.
Had a couple in the 1990s. Couldn't sleep at night unless I buried them under several sheets of folded up bedding in a drawer. Even worse than the ticking is their Spring-bar attachments. After two strap changes they became too loose, and the bars would always work themselves partially free. Otherwise, great watches. But the loudness and the spring-bar issues were deal-breakers for me.
That sounds terrible. I'd want no part of it.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've bought a couple of Casio recently. Fantastic brand.
I'm eyeing off the 5000U, ilikeguns. Love the JDM stuff.
I'll show off my other recent one another night. It's also another Ana-Digi, and it's a gem.

bureaucrat

Newly Enlightened
@Voider of Warranties

I still have my Grandfather's pocket watch, and it is one of my most prized possessions from my past. He was an attorney, so I'm sure nothing else would do in those days. It's one of very few things that live in the safe besides guns. I like pocket watches, and all my jeans have a watch pocket so I'm good there; however in the work enivronment I'm accustomed to, I never have a hand to facilitate the use of one there (or a second hand to operate a flashlight for that matter). EHS would probably prefer that I use one though. (Thanks for sharing that.)

bureaucrat

Newly Enlightened
I also have a family heirloom pocket watch, but cannot find ANY watch smith/repair/jeweler that can/will work on it [made circa 1825, it does not have an escapement movement; it is a fusee]. Have you have any contacts for repair of such a watch?
Karl

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I also have a family heirloom pocket watch, but cannot find ANY watch smith/repair/jeweler that can/will work on it [made circa 1825, it does not have an escapement movement; it is a fusee]. Have you have any contacts for repair of such a watch?
Karl
What's the name on the dial, and can you provide a pic. of it?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Karl
Pm incoming

Some fusee history

Check this out @bureaucrat.

Maybe this guy can help

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
An old Gruen automatic arrived today
View attachment 59090
Post '58 Precision model but seems to be early 60's after the Gruen family sold the busines in '58.
580 SS (sweeping second hand). I've yet to find details about that Swiss movement.

View attachment 59091
Stock Speidel stretch band almost looks custom.

Keeps time spot on.
I found a 1962 catalog showing this one. It was called "Surf" from the period of 1958 to 1974. (Edit it turns out it's actually a "Comet" from 1962 to 1966. That the name Surf was a made up name by a company trying to ensure nobody could compare prices with them.)

IMG_4262.jpeg

IMG_4263.jpeg

End edit.

It was a Swiss built watch with a movement first intoduced to the Gruen line in 1936. A Felsa 4000 line was tweaked to become a Gruen 580SS. The case (called WMR for water moisture resistant) was made in Hong Kong by a ginormous case making company called Danemann. It sold new for $39.95, which is nearly $500 today.

FD22F6E8-A1FC-4D60-9D0D-EDA579C0E8A0-565-00000641F2335E2B.jpeg

After some time buffing with a cotton rag.

And an Elgin Sportsman arrived recently.
IMG_4091.jpeg

Fully restored minus the face, which was cleaned but number 3 has a fade issue.
It came with a pigskin band for a 7" wrist so I added a cow skin number for up to 8-1/2" wrist.

Last edited: