What's in your first-aid/medical kit?

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
coontai said:
Oh and sorry scott for thread jacking.

LOL. No apologies please. This is an interesting discussion, and I think it's relevant. I didn't spell this out in my original post, but the med gear I carry is for use by me, my friends and my family, and the epinephrine injection I once administered was a prescribed unit (although I didn't clarify it). It's good that these things are brought up. So please continue. :)

ausbump

Newly Enlightened
Thought i might give you the Australian perspective:
I volunteer with St John Ambulance, we do care at sporting events, concerts, public events, disasters, and when it is required.

Our training is very comprehensive, so we normally carry oxy viva's, heartstarts, penthrane and 'laughing' gas (enternox (sp?)), among lots of other pieces of equipment. On duty or not, we can more or less do anything up to the extent of our training without having to worry about the law.

If we try to perform surgery, obviously we have then stepped into the wrong!

Becuase of this, we don't carry BP Cuffs or Scopes, on the grounds that we can't be trained enough to know how to interpret the results to the same degree as a medical professional, i.e. a doc or a nurse.

Carrying things that we don't have the 'training' to use is not permitted. Even though i can use a BP cuff for example, there is very little we can add in regards to different situations under Australian law.

The vast vast vast majority of casulaties we treat are very pleased for the attention, and do not complain or file legal action. I believe (Although i may be wrong), that no Australian volunteer has ever been sued for his/her actions. Part of that is that we don't do the wrong thing - and we don't exceed our training.

We don't really have any EMT equivalent here, only what you can do through volunteer organisations. We do things like advanced rescusitation, a lot of psychological and operations stuff, triage, some rescue things, as well as basic injuries. At least we don't get sued :)

Thought some of you might like some insight into how it works in a less litigious society. (And for the record, my pupil pen uses button cells (grr), and we can't carry EpiPen as it is considered prescription only)

jason9987

Newly Enlightened
coontai said:
Mike

I am a bit confused by your last post. On one hand you say "None of my training and education in any situation where negligence is involved supports this. None of my training and education in any situation where negligence is involved supports this." "This" being people who have more advance medical training are more liable then those who have less. On the other hand, you say "As a professional you are held to higher standards," and previously you state "the judge would absolutely have to go harder on the EMT" which is more similar to my train of thought. Doctors have more responsibilities then nurses. ALS providers have more responsibility then BLS providers. There is a reason why doctors are constantly sued for millions (for pain and suffering) and EMTs are not sued for as much (although it is common for them to be sued). On an ems side this dichotomy may not be so apparent but as I previously stated this generally true. These days there are a wide variety of "professional" positions.

I do not understand what you are saying here: "he is far more liable than if he did not." Are you saying that if he did not help a bystander he would be liable? There are no duty to act laws that I am aware of. Nothing that I know of legally forces bystanders to helps others.

Finally, I hope no one takes any of these comments personally, but I am interested in this discussion because I am in these situations on a daily basis. Oh and sorry scott for thread jacking.

I am a licenced EMT-B in new york, and I recall being told that I am legally bound to help someone if it does not cause danger to my life and/or property. If I was off duty I rather go out of protocol and risk a lawsuit than watch someone die/suffer I would first anaylise the risks but If I thought they had a high likleyhood of dieing and I could help them I'd risk the lawsuit

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
"quick-clot" ? I was wondering is this the powder that stops blood from gushing out of big tears?
I heard about this stuff now used in the military -- it is either a powder or a dressing with the powder impregnated into it -- as I said it's 1st aid for a big bleed.. is it good stuff to have around?? comments?

coontai

Newly Enlightened
I just got off standby yesterday and we didn't have any tweezers for the three splinters we had. Enough said. Also we do not carry any antibiotic ointment on purpose because it is beyond our field of practice.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hummm.... I saw the title of this thread and figured it might apply to me and my interests/ concerns but it seems to be a great deal over my ignorant head and beyond the scope of my typical first aid needs!
redface.gif

99 times out of 100, my problem is a cut, slice, abrassion or burn. In another thread, I mentioned my reliance on hydrogen peroxide for flushing out a fresh wound. No idea if this is good protocal but it seems to do just fine. In the absence of any antibiotic ointment or hydrogen peroxide, I would be inclined to pee on any bad cut or laceration to temporarily ward off infection. Any comments on this from you guys in the know?

When it comes to closing a wound, I have found some 3M tape, Transpore, or Flexible Clear Tape as packaged for consumers is much better than bandaids and allows for beter mobility and gatting on with the program. I keep a bottle of Newskin (sp) handy but I would love to find the paper strips that Dr's use with some type of crazy glue in lieu of stitches. Anyone have a suggestion?

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don, look for Steristrips. I've seen them in local drug stores. Just be sure to get the cut cleaned out first. If there's anything in the wound and you seal it with Steristrips, you've just created the perfect incubator. The same is true of Newsking or Liquid Bandaid. You probably already know that, but I wanted to mention it in case someone else that doesn't reads this.

I can't recommend this website, as I haven't bought from them, but they do list the various 3M steristrips that are available. I believe the one's that most doctors use are the reinforced ones.

Last edited:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Great! Thanks Ray!! I was told to get steri-strips a few years back but I couldn't find a local pharmacy who stocked them and one medical supply house was no help.

I understand your caution and appreciate the concern!! I have some butterfly closures but they are so old I doubt the adhesive is viable. The other day I was talking to a local fellow who makes surfboards who is well up there in years and he was opening a FedEX box with a single edge razor; box on his lap!
icon15.gif
Just as I was thinking bad idea, the razor slipped through the cardboard and into his thigh!!
ohgeez.gif

This guy was not about to go to the Dr. and he had a 1" long very deep and clean slice in his leg. I believe a Dr would have dressed the wound and either stitched or used steristrips. I felt bad that this fellow would likely not treat the wound properly and he had been distracted and talking to me when he made the cut. He was missing a couple digits from some fingers and I think he has had experience with sharp mistakes! All I could offer him was a bottle of hydrogen peroxide which he declined as he had some bottle of antibiotic nature he used instead.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
a drunk opening a fedex box with an Exacto blade, sounds like a party -- yeah, maybe three fingers meant he learned his lesson, or maybe not!
(the guy who delivers my gas has a couple digits missing, I think he did learn his lesson, but I watch him anyway ;) -- in case why not get your friend sme of these steel mesh gloves -- they come in a three-finger model if he still has the right ones left --
gu2509b.GIF

https://www.saftgard.com/newsletter/meshordr.htm

Last edited:

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Razors are one of the reasons why I keep Steristrips around. That and I tend to keep most of my knives scary sharp. When I was teenager, I cut the skin between my thumb and first finger using a box cutter. I didn't even realize that I had done so until a few minutes later when my hand itched. As I started to scratch, the tip of my finger slide into the cut, just about freaking me out. I had almost cut all the way through. That was the first time I'd ever seen blood freely flooding. By the time we got to the doc's office, I had completely soaked 3 washclothes and had gotten blood all over my mother's car. Some Steristrips would have been handy for the ride to the doctor.

I also keep some SecondSkin (similar to Water Jel burn dressing?) around for burns. We're talking instant pain relief. The stuff is amazing.

Last edited:

balou

Enlightened
In the absence of any antibiotic ointment or hydrogen peroxide, I would be inclined to pee on any bad cut or laceration to temporarily ward off infection. Any comments on this from you guys in the know?

I'm not really 'in the know', but last time I needed to clean a wound and no antibiotic ointment ready, I just scrubbed the wound with soap.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
At home, I keep a pretty comprehensive kit as well as spare supplies. I have a 326 piece kit from Costco that seems very extensive. It even has supplies I hadn't heard of. I didn't know some supplies were made such as spray bottles of hydrogen peroxide and poison ivy cleansing towelettes. As well as that kit, I keep a supply of alcohol, cotton balls, Neosporin, hydrogen peroxide, bandades, Ibuprofin, Solarcaine, etc.

In my car, I carry a large American Red Cross first aid kit (also from Costco) that has a soft case. This kit is organized like a binder so you can find the supplies quickly. It also has a small survival kit with an emergency blanket, an emergency poncho, 2 disposable handwarmers, water packets, a whistle, a lightstick, and a call 911 flag. You can prevent many situations where you would need the first aid supplies if you have some other emergency survival supplies as well. I also keep a couple of emergency survival kits from Costco in my car. They have some food, water, and supplies to get you through a few days if you get stranded somewhere (they were only $10 each). There is also a Sawyers Snake Bite Kit in the car as well (the one that doesn't require sucking out the poison with your mouth).

When I go hiking or backpacking, I carry a small first aid kit pieced together and put in a ziplock bag. It mostly consists of bandades, alcohol prep pads, triple antibiotic ointment, moleskin, and ibuprofin. I also carry a Sam's Splint on these outings (and a small roll of duct tape to fasten it to a limb) as well as a Sawyer's Snake Bite Kit. Again, if you carry more common sense things for prevention, you'll need less for first aid. Carry a flashlight at night and you won't trip, fall, run into things, or get lost as much. Carry warm clothes and some handwarmers and you won't freeze and get hypothermia. Use sunblock and insect repellent and you won't get a sunburn or West Nile Virus. Use a filter or purification tablets before drinking stream water and you'll avoid Giardia. An ounce of prevention can be worth a ton of first aid.