What's it about Flashlights that got you hooked?

nomadtor416

Newly Enlightened
It was 2012 when a friend of a friend told me about how he was able to stop an aggressive dog charging towards him by shining an LED flashlight into the dog's eyes. I did some research and realized a bright LED flashlight was also a decent defensive tool to help temporarily disorient/daze unsavoury people coming towards you. So yeah, I'm hooked because a really bright flashlight gives me some peace of mind.

Sharpenologist

Newly Enlightened
For me it was practicality first - many years as a server engineer, trying to chase down cables in dark places or find a connector deep inside a poorly lit rack... Then came the coolness factor with the wonderfully machined and polished pieces both custom, like Hanko, and production stuff, like Maratac... And once I got a little Prometheus, I was completely hooked...

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Had some fascination as a young kid. Then was fascinated again with a red Photon keychain light. About the same time I found CPF and been broke ever since. I hate this place.

Canuke

Enlightened
They light up. What else is there? :candle:

There's something about having light sources at your own level in a dark environment that is just magical. Flashlights, candles, campfires. That's why I loved this McDonald's commercial from 1980 as a kid; having all those glowing things on the ground was so cool. For the same reason, one of my favorite Christmas moments was at the beginning of the holiday when my mom would lay out the lights on the carpet and turn them on to look for the dead ones. Not to mention that the lights were and are the best part of that holiday, once you've outgrown getting tons of presents.

xdayv

Flashlight Enthusiast
After the strongest typhoon ever recorded to make landfall (Typhoon Haiyan/Yolanda, Nov. 8, 2013); my old Maglite 5D failed on me when I needed it most. From then on, I searched for better illumination tools, and ended up with a Surefire. The adventure continues...

mina

Newly Enlightened
I've always loved the fact that I can have something with me that can help me see in the dark and not have to worry about wind or water putting it out. :grin2:

As for having multiple lights. Well, you should always have a backup, and a backup of the backup, and a backup of the backup of the backup...

legendofzelda

Newly Enlightened
Got a new bike to commute to work. All the bike lights sucked so I started researching general high lumen lights. Landed here and forgot about the bike light.

The Miller

Newly Enlightened
Got hooked because of the fact that so much can be modded.
Soldering is an important skill and this just pushed me enough to order the things needed to do it ;)
And well it is just great fun to click on and bath the property in light!

Last edited:

NevC

Newly Enlightened
I've always liked a good torch, but did not have much of a selection here in Oz.
Initially the biggest (4 D cells) seemed to be the only way to go, when you could find one.
Then there was the Dolphin torch with a good beam and it floats
Next was an Eveready that mounted on a big, heavy battery that had a spotlight like a landing light.
Then things got better with Maglite models, still got some around.
Then Led Lenser came along I have 2, a P7 and a P5 sized model with no P number.

After finding this forum the world has opened up. So much to learn.

I have a Generic T6 type to play with. 5 modes one, real cheap.

Now I have a Crelant V6Cs with Crelant charger and batteries, and am very happy with that. It shows out to the boundaries of my property with ease.

Now after one with more throw. Acebeam K70 on top of list at present, still searching

Great forum

MrJino

Enlightened
For me, i walk my dog late night since I get home around 10 to 11 pm.
Had a bunch of cheap gas station lights, but figured I should treat myself with a nice one that will last (instead of not working when you need it).
Somehow I found promethius lights, which are Ca made and has good customer service (haven't used it yet which is a great sign).
Also, I hate the bright white/blue light that most lights give off, so I preferred a neutral light.

I only have 3 good lights, which is plenty for my use, rest are in my car or bug out bag.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Saw this one:

TN32_Minnekhada.jpg

and decided: no matter its cost I MUST have one :)

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its just a useful item that goes hand in hand with a folder. What facinates me is the LED technology and the design around it resulting in a small easily edc that gives beautiful even light. A well designed light although quite an investement will bring many years of joy of ownership.

freeride21a

Newly Enlightened
Fear of the dark as a small child. I slept with the lights on for a long time.

I apparently have loved flashlights since I was a little kid! I had 17 incandecents by the time I was in 7th grade, so about 1988/89. I had two favorites, a 5 cell stainless search light that rocked that we played German spotlight with. I also had a 2c cell one that had a textured reflector that I loved the beam from.

jal

Newly Enlightened
An unhealthy light habit is a new thing for me. I can see in retrospect that this, or something like it was coming.

I've been learning parametric modeling for a while, and am starting on learning the operation of actual machines now, but with vague vague ideas about what I wanted to make. I do software for a living, so I've mostly been on the "gets to ignore most laws of physics" side of the making-things racket. (Not actually true, but true enough when talking about things like design tolerance, friction, etc.) So thus far, I've made what amount to absurdly over-engineered replacement parts for broken things, some vaguely interesting but useless lumps of metal, and lots of learning parts.

I ended up here because I was looking for decent lights after having a problem with crappy lights on a camp out. Then I discovered just how *good* lights have gotten; I had no idea, and had been using crappy 2-D plastic incandescents. Then I noticed that the electronics involved are simple enough that my rusty memories of building a ham radio as a kid would be useful, that a light would be a fantastic learn-CNC project, and that I just plain like the silly things.

And here I am today, with far more lights than seems reasonable, a design for a host I want to make, and a job that is keeping me way too busy to make it.

czoperator

Newly Enlightened
Having multiple dependable sources of light everywhere I go ensures that I will always have a one up on most when the lights go out, whether it be a disaster, breaking down somewhere, all out war, or just a simple power outage, I know I can put eyes on the situation reliably.