where can I found a really dark place to test out flash lights in the Houston TX Area

Flashlightmaster2021

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys anybody able to recommend a park or some place secluded that really dark in Houston TX where one can really test out flash lights with out being seen?

Ive been to George bush park and its ok just still alot car that drive by and other people a few 100 yards away playing sports.

Flashlightmaster2021

Newly Enlightened
Thanks so much I ve never heard of this park. I actually live on tha side of twon so the park is only like 30-45 mins away.
Thanks Ive saved to the maps on my iphone to go next weekend

Flashlightmaster2021

Newly Enlightened
I`ve always wanted to go there its just so far away . its almost 1100 miles round trip . I don`t want to put that many miles on my car . but I would love go there one day. Just too far way especially since I work during the week.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Big Bend has dark skies except when the moon is out. One place in the United States where vampire bats have been sighted, last I heard. Great diversity in birds, plants, mammals. Almost died there from dehydration in early June so many years ago.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I`ve always wanted to go there its just so far away . its almost 1100 miles round trip

I also used to live in Bee Cave, and it was pretty dark at night, especially in the canyons. It's closer, only 350mi round trip, but I will bet you somewheres in between is very dark for long stretches of highway. Conversely, you could befriend someone with a boat and head out into Galveston Bay. Nothing eats light like the open water at night. You may also find some nearby appropriately dark locations on this list.

Last edited:

Flashlightmaster2021

Newly Enlightened
Brazoria National Wildlife Refuge; located immediately east of Freeport
Nice I`ve never been and i should explore more around my town. seems to be alot more nature parks than i ever thought. I will be saving this as one my favorite places on iphone map app. Thanks a million

Flashlightmaster2021

Newly Enlightened
I also used to live in Bee Cave, and it was pretty dark at night, especially in the canyons. It's closer, only 350mi round trip, but I will bet you somewheres in between is very dark for long stretches of highway. Conversely, you could befriend someone with a boat and head out into Galveston Bay. Nothing eats light like the open water at night. You may also find some nearby appropriately dark locations on this list.
wow thanks so much. I need new places to explore. maybe i try one everyfew weeks. It give something to look forward to.
Thanks again

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I've only set foot in Houston a handful of times and never been to either area, but Addicks and Barker reservoirs look like they could offer relief from immediate streetlight glow and some long sightlines in places like this.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast

I see a small forest, 1.5 km wide, it looks like there are quite straight paths and I do not see any lighting in the photo from the area

1677091498245.png

I think it's fun there at night, although I can't say if you can walk there at night. Some of the photos show that the edge of the forest is fenced with wire

Flashlightmaster2021

Newly Enlightened
I've only set foot in Houston a handful of times and never been to either area, but Addicks and Barker reservoirs look like they could offer relief from immediate streetlight glow and some long sightlines in places like this.
oh upu i forgot about that spot. its litterly like 20 mins way from me. Thanks so much

Flashlightmaster2021

Newly Enlightened

I see a small forest, 1.5 km wide, it looks like there are quite straight paths and I do not see any lighting in the photo from the area

View attachment 39927

I think it's fun there at night, although I can't say if you can walk there at night. Some of the photos show that the edge of the forest is fenced with wire
thanks its right next to me ill check out. it might be closed off at night but it be fun to get out house a drive by and check it out

DrVeghead

Newly Enlightened

View attachment 39927
That is a nice forest for walking/hiking/horses.

FWIW, this page
says "Open year-round during daylight hours only."