Where did the 1xAA lights go?

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use my ZL & Fenix every single day with AA leakers and they work fine.
I go through them fast enough they don't seem to have time to leak.

Of course I have and also use Eneloop or Lithium if I can but I do not always have the time or foresight to see that I do.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Defiant 1xAA I got from Home Depot several years ago for 5 or 6 bucks that is an excellent battery vampire. It happily fires up on alkaline cells below 0.8v. I use it a lot around the house, but it doesn't leave the house much.

--flatline

fyrstormer

Banned
The general public is still largely unaware of CR123A cells, so this doesn't seem like the full explanation to me. I also think that non-enthusiasts are unlikely to invest in the li-ion platform, yet I know lots of people who use NiMh AA and AAA cells. A 1xAA light fits nicely into their existing platform.

I've seen 2xCR123A lights for sale in these stores, but never a 1xCR123A, so as far as the general public is concerned, CR123A lights have no size advantage over a 1xAA.
Personally, I don't actually know enough of the "general public" to know if they're familiar with CR123s. They were used to power flash-bulbs for film cameras for a long time, but how many people encountered CR123s in that context, I don't know either. I can say with confidence, however, that the "general public" has gotten used to the idea that fancy electronics use special types of batteries, because their smartphones and digital cameras and computers and lord-knows-what-else all have special types of batteries. So while the "general public" might not be familiar with CR123s specifically, the requirement to use a special type of battery to run a super-bright flashlight would not come as a huge surprise to them.

I think that it is reasonable to claim that 1xAA is a better format for scavenged batteries than 1xAAA for the following reasons:
1. AA has 3x the capacity than the AAA, so unless you're more than 3x as likely to find AAA cells than AA you will still come out ahead energy-wise with AA. Similarly, you can go 3x as long before you need to start looking for scavenged cells.
AAA-powered lights use less power because they're designed around lower-power batteries, so the runtime for AAA-powered lights works out much better than the 33% that the math suggests. In a SHTF scenario, the length of time your stash of batteries will last is more important than number of lumens your flashlight can generate -- hence the existence of the Pak-Lite. Furthermore, it seems quite possible to me that finding AA batteries could be at least 3x as difficult as finding AAA batteries, because of how popular AA batteries are. They are the first batteries to be subject to hoarding during natural disasters. I don't even use AA-powered flashlights and even I have a stash of about 50 AAs for various devices. CR123s? I have a box of 12 Surefires that I haven't touched in a couple years. AAAs? I have a stash of 20, and I don't even remember what I originally needed them for.

2. AA lights can use any AAA cells you find, but not the other way around
I've never tried this, but I assume it would require an adapter which is electrically conductive along its length but electrically insulated across its diameter, which the "general public" would probably not have on-hand. I can imagine MacGuyvering such an adapter from paper and a piece of pencil graphite, but at that point we are no longer talking about the "general public". In any event, in a SHTF scenario, your best bet is to have a spool of wire and some tape, so you can make any battery work with any device.

3. AA lights are easier to keep track of (AAA lights are so small that they tend to disappear with alarming ease)
If your life depended on a flashlight of any size, you would make very sure to keep track of it. Also, if we're talking about a SHTF scenario, the smaller size of a 1xAAA light means it would be easier to conceal from people who might want to steal it from you for their own use.

But really, I just happen to prefer 1xAA since it falls in a convenient sweet spot that no other battery format does:
1. large enough to handle easily with gloves (AAA fails, 1xCR123A often fails)
I have never encountered weather so cold that I couldn't take off my gloves for 30 seconds while I change a battery. You're talking -50°C if you're concerned about frostbite in such a short period of time, and in such low temperatures there would also be problems with the batteries freezing internally and not working.

2. small enough for easy pocket carry (3xAAA fails, 2xCR123A often fails, 2xAA often fails)
I agree regarding 3xAAA and 2xAA. However, I find the in-pocket difference between 1xAA and 1xCR123 variants of the same flashlight (such as the Olight S1/S1A) to either be unnoticeable, or to favor 1xCR123 due to its shorter length.

3. light enough for holding in mouth when necessary (2xCR123A fails, 2xAA fails, 3xAAA fails)
I had to switch to a headlamp for this purpose, because holding a flashlight in my teeth for longer than a few seconds inevitably gives me TMJ that bothers me for days afterwards.

4. commonly available battery (CR123A fails)
Depends where you live. Where I live there are CR123s for sale right next to the AAs in all my local stores. There are more AAs, yes, but they are also the first to sell-out whenever we get a snowstorm, to say nothing of a SHTF scenario.

5. commonly available rechargeable battery (CR123A fails)
I guess, but rechargeable cells are only useful if the electric utilities are up-and-running or you have a car charger and a car full of gas, and neither applies in a SHTF scenario.

6. battery commonly used by other electronics (CR123A fails)
This is precisely why CR123s will be less difficult to find new than you might imagine, even if they are harder to scavenge from other devices.

7. enough capacity to prevent constant worrying about capacity (AAA fails)
I don't constantly worry about battery capacity, and I certainly hope you don't either; that sounds like a supremely annoying bit of minutia to worry about.

8. no worry about matching cells (all multi-cell formats fail)
I also prefer single-cell lights, though I don't generally worry about mixing new and used cells if that's all I have. The warnings on battery packages about mixing new and used cells are 1% valid and 99% legal butt-covering.

Last edited:

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
The general public may be aware of specialty cells, but they aren't really enamored with paying $4 to $6 per cell. They won't have the specialized knowledge we have of where to obtain CR123s at a more reasonable price. Hence the popularity of AA and AAA cell lights. The last time I looked at WallyWorld, there was six feet of shelf space dedicated to flashlights, and not a single CR123 light among them. The few that weren't AA or AAA were 6v or D cell. If they are not for sale, you can not buy them.

Mark Anthony

Newly Enlightened
Is a 14500 powered light an option? same size with more punch to make up for the dimness of a single cell alkaline. Likely you can find a dual-fuel one like the Thorfire Mini that will still work with standard 'AA' cells for disaster prep.

choombak

Enlightened
Is a 14500 powered light an option? same size with more punch to make up for the dimness of a single cell alkaline. Likely you can find a dual-fuel one like the Thorfire Mini that will still work with standard 'AA' cells for disaster prep.

14500 is not a commonly-used battery type - in fact, those outside the realm of cpf may not even have heard of 14500 (and other batteries that just have numbers in their name!). I am very fond of AA format, due to its availability and price. The only downside with using alkalines is their "leaky" nature, so I have to remind common folk to ensure they switch it on at least once or twice every few days. NiMH has remedied that problem to a great extent (especially with Ikea stocking chargers, and AAA and AA formats of NiMH). I like the El Capitan that Peak LED Solutions makes (be sure to opt for the one without QTC pill, since that variability is wobbly at best).

bykfixer

Flashaholic
OK I feel dumb but I don't get it. Please explain :)

You aren't alone. I don't either.

Energizer has a polished alluminum set sold individually at auto part stores. The 1aa or 2aa are both pretty nice.
IMG-20181210-215002.jpg

Last edited:

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
A dual fuel light would be a little expensive if one is only going to use the less powerful option. If a buyer knew what a 14500 was and was interested in maybe trying it out in the future, the investment in a dual fuel light now might be worth it.

Associated question: are the majority of 14500 cells available protected or unprotected?

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK I feel dumb but I don't get it. Please explain :)

It was me being funny [emoji1]
Does not always work [emoji848]

I see 1aa lights everywhere but this is also the form if light I am committed to carry so........

I have infrequent need for the brightest lights that I have but I have constant need for an aa sized and output light that I can literally find batteries for anywhere it seems to me.

It is all in your point if view really whether pragmatic to anyone else or not.

herektir

Newly Enlightened
I don't see many single as lights either except online. I prefer them for Edc daytime during an ambulance shift, there are spare aa batteries on the ambulance. During 24 hour shifts I carry my zebralight sc600 mk2 with full 18650

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
1xAA is not popular with the masses because it doesn't work well for the masses. The BIG problem with 1xAA is that it works that AA battery pretty hard. If you want any kind of brightness, it works the battery SO hard that an alkaline battery just isn't up to the task. 1xAA is basically NiMH territory. And we all know how the masses feel about rechargeable batteries vs alkaline batteries. Other formats like 2xAA of 3xAAA run on higher voltage, and don't need a battery that is capable of producing as high of current. They are therefore more alkaline battery friendly. This is why they are more popular in big box stores.

markr6

Flashaholic
Unfortunately, once the masses get a feel for 230 lumens out of a small pocket light, a good quality 1xAA with a nice tint and "only" 120lm is weak, not enough.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
By choice, I easily get along with sub 100L...heck...I use less than 1L a great deal of the time.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a single mode light, I find that 30 - 60 lumens is about ideal for me. Long run times yet bright enough to be generically useful without being blinding in low light situations. The older 1xAA lights I have all fall within this range. I bet newer lights would be brighter than that.

--flatline

Cosmodragoon

Newly Enlightened
It's not the most popular type of flashlight but they exist. You can find them on Amazon, AliExpress, etc. I think they fall into a sort of limbo between ultra-convenient single-AAA lights and those more powerful lights using special batteries. That said, all my current flashlights run on AA or AAA batteries. I use Eneloops but I'm glad that alkalines in these sizes are extremely common, just in case. I'm happy with the amount of light I can get on these sizes but I'm not one of the cool kids.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
So if 1xAA lights are going out of favor, what's the go-to format for people who just want an easy to find battery and aren't interested in investing in rechargeables?

Is that demographic using 2xAA? Or something else?

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
So if 1xAA lights are going out of favor, what's the go-to format for people who just want an easy to find battery and aren't interested in investing in rechargeables?

Is that demographic using 2xAA? Or something else?

Yeah, 2xAA or 3xAA / 3xAAA are the alkaleak formats of choice. Sometimes even multiple C or D sized lights, if you want longer run-time.